Pro Tools LE I/O ?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gassyndrome, Jul 12, 2006.

1. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Hey guys,

I've messed around with my MBox for a while now, and I've always used RTAS plug ins. I've just got hold of a Frostwave Analog Filter and right now I'm completely lost as to how to use it properly. :crazy

Say I just want to use it as insert effect on a drum track - how do I patch it thru the Mbox? The more I read the Pro Tools manual, the more and more I'm getting confused. Please help me on my way to sonic weirdness...:RoCkIn

Simon

2. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

This is the pedal. Its cool :)
    [​IMG]

3. elambo

elambo Member

If memory serves, the MBox has TRS inserts (T.ip R.ing S.leeve), which means you'd have to buy a 1/4" stereo to dual-mono adapter. It's essentially an adapter that lets you send audio out of the MBox into your Frost, then from the Frost back into the MBox all with the same cable and same connector. This is how I remember the MBox, but I could be mistaken.

The manual should, at minimum, have a diagram that shows how the cables need to be connected, then in the ProTools software, on the track you want to apply the insert, select the "insert" that you've set up and it should route audio to the Frost and back.

4. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

If memory serves, you cannot route from a pre-recorded track to the 1/4" TRS jacks. They are only for the two inputs on the MBox and not for routing.

I may be wrong, but I think that is the only thing they're for.

5. elambo

elambo Member

That could very well be how it works - so only useful for recording, not mixing.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I believe that you're right about the insert jacks.

I've only used plugs when editing/mixing with MBox, and never for the final mix. I don't know if it's possible to use an analog I/O pair as channel inserts. If not, I believe he can route it to an analog send/return. The user guide is not very clear.

7. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I have a theory where you can take a track, send it to one of the outputs, wire that output to your effect, process and re-record onto another track through an input, but I have never tested it.

May be worth looking into...

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If by "send" you mean in parallel, sure. Or just return to an aux input, if you don't want/need to print the effect.

To use the effect in series, as if a channel insert, make the track's output one of the analog outs. Send it at flat 0 gain (since it's "pre-fader"), create a return channel (aux or audio). Put any other inserts that you want before the pedal on the send channel, any that you'd want after on the return. Then put your parallel sends, fader or pan automation etc. on the return.

All this assuming MBox will allow an analog output to be used as a send. Again, the manual doesn't make it clear and I'm too lazy to set it up now. :)

9. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Thanks for all the theories so far. I'll hook it all up and have a test later on today :)

Surely someone has to have tried this before though?....

10. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

You need to convert mic to line levels. If your mbox doesn't provide for this, you need a mixer in front of the mbox.