Pro tools Mbox?

P

Prymo

I am interested in getting a interface for my computer so i can record and do tracking. I would like to be able to record atleast 8 tracks simotaniously. What kind of interface would i need to do this?

i was interested in the Mbox but there are only 2 mic pres, and i would need more if i wanted to record a drum set.

Is there anyway you can do this with the Mbox? what do you guys think?
 

leond

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
321
The only way you could do this with an MBox is to run the tracks to an external mixer, mix down to 2 channels and send that to the MBox. IMO, it kind of defeats the purpose (and I'm an MBox user).

I use the MBox when I'm do duos. With more than 2 people, I'll set up a couple of room mikes.

LeonD

Originally posted by Prymo
I am interested in getting a interface for my computer so i can record and do tracking. I would like to be able to record atleast 8 tracks simotaniously. What kind of interface would i need to do this?

i was interested in the Mbox but there are only 2 mic pres, and i would need more if i wanted to record a drum set.

Is there anyway you can do this with the Mbox? what do you guys think?
 
P

Prymo

Is there anyway to use a mixer or console hooked up to the computer, so each channel has a track?

Or which interface would allow me to do this?
 

leond

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
321
I know the new Mackie mixers have an option for a firewire card. Also the other Digitech hardware allow more then 2 channels recorded at once.

How much are you looking to spend?

LeonD
 

onemind

Member
Messages
3,585
If you feel you'd like to use Pro-Tools (for compatibility issues if you wanted to bring the tracks into a pro-studio for additional work.) your options would be a Digi002 Rack, which will cost about 1200. or a used digi 001 which will cost a little more than an mbox and require a computer with a pci slot. Even then you'll need additonal mic pres to record a kit.
 
P

Prymo

well thanks for the info guys.
i would rather have pro tools. but i just need something that allows 6-8 mic channels to be assigned to individual tracks.
is there any product out there that does this?
 

agentcooper2001

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,718
Presonus Firepod will do that. Mine should be here one day next week. Read up on some of the reviews and it'll give you a good idea of what it does.
 
P

Prymo

hey thanks alot i think i will check in to getting one of those.
by the way is an IEEE 1394 a firewire connection?
 

GaryNattrass

Member
Messages
738
Have a look around for a second hand Digidesign 002 console, I got mine for around $1700, I then added a Behringer ADA8000 and I now have 12 mic pre-amps and can record them all together.

It also gives me a mixing console which is a lot easier to set levels with.
 
P

Prymo

hey, what do you guys think about... the Firepod with a Behringer B-control 2000?

this should be compatible with the firepod right? will it make a difference it the console used a USB and the mic pres used firewire?

any input would be appreciated.
 

Gaz

Member
Messages
11
Originally posted by Prymo
hey, what do you guys think about... the Firepod with a Behringer B-control 2000?

this should be compatible with the firepod right? will it make a difference it the console used a USB and the mic pres used firewire?

any input would be appreciated.
I have just acquired a G4 and I bought the digi002 rack, and it will record 8 discreet channels. Pro Tools is the way to go...Mac is for Music, and other creative arts. PC just isn't there yet, from what I've heard. Anybody else ?
 

G'OlPeachPhan

Member
Messages
1,244
These are all good recommendations.... I have an mBox as my primary recording interface, and to record drums I use a Mackie 1402 VLZ mixed down to L and R channels. It works OK, but REALLY limits your options and you have to MAKE SURE you get your relative levels correct on the way into the mBox, because there's no way to change it after the fact.

It's not a problem if you practice enough to get it right, but after the $300 I spent on the Mackie, I wish I would've just save up and bought an 002 rack... Granted, when I do get an 002, I'll still keep the Mackie for the extra preamps, etc., so that money isn't truly lost.

Point is, learn from my mistakes... if you want to record drums, save up and get the right tools for the job!
 

MichaelK

Member
Messages
6,476
I use MBox only for editing on the road, and only once in a great while for tracking if necessary. I actually did some vocals from my last album on MBox. It's a boon for ProTools users but it's a pain in the ass to lug that stupid little box around just to authorize the computer. An iLok would do the job.
 

Red Ant

Member
Messages
1,358
Originally posted by Gaz
I have just acquired a G4 and I bought the digi002 rack, and it will record 8 discreet channels. Pro Tools is the way to go...Mac is for Music, and other creative arts. PC just isn't there yet, from what I've heard. Anybody else ?
I use both the Mbox and the Digi002 with my PC laptop and this system SMOKES any mac laptop i've used, and most mac desktops as well. 32+16 on the DaveC ProTools test! :)
 

melondaoust

Member
Messages
854
I'm an MBox guy, and I love it! I feel that if you are serious about recording, get Pro Tools.

If you want eight channels, I agree with getting a 002 (either rack or mixer.)
 

tonefreak

Member
Messages
2,461
I have an MBOX and love it!

I have a couple of Joe Meek preamps (VC3 and VC1Q) that go to a Neutrik pathbay and then to my MBOX. I use a Mackie 1202 VLZ for monitoring so I don't have any latency.

This recording set-up simply out performs any other I have used... Cubase and Logic Audio Platinum.

I'm not recording any drums... for that I use Fxpansions BFD, which sounds awesome IMO!
 

bluestein

Member
Messages
419
M-Audio just released a couple of new USB interfaces - How do these compare to the older M-Box.

I like the price of the new ones (under $200) - all I need to do is add guitar tracks to existing songs....

Waste of money or Promising New Technology?
 

tedm

Senior Member
Messages
7,270
if you're using PT LE, and want USB, you need the Mbox.

If you can use other SW, the other USB devices, especially USB 2 devices will allow more simultaneous channels and 24/192 which the mbox doesn't allow for.

Originally posted by bluestein
M-Audio just released a couple of new USB interfaces - How do these compare to the older M-Box.

I like the price of the new ones (under $200) - all I need to do is add guitar tracks to existing songs....

Waste of money or Promising New Technology?
 

bluestein

Member
Messages
419
I'm using Sonar for midi composition.

The files are transported to our keyboard guy who "plays" them on his Triton.

Right now, we record the traditional way.....speakers into mics onto tape.....

I dream of a day when we can simply e-mail our portions of the song to each other and combine them in Sonar or a similar program....eliminates the studio.

I'm not against PT - it's just another platform to learn.....but if I can stay in a program I'm already comfortable with - all the better.

The big attraction of Sonar is the integrated MIDI support.

I really like the idea of a $99 interface that lets me play into the computer. Jack Z. mentioned latency problems with all USB devices - is that a knockout factor?
 




Trending Topics

Top