1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Tools Problem?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by GaryNattrass, Sep 28, 2004.

1. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Dear learned audio people.

I have a small problem with my Pro Tools system when bouncing to disk.

I have a Great British Spring reverb that is used via analogue ins and outs 5 and 6.

It is fed from an insert as a reverb device and then comes back on an aux return and is then bussed to the main analogue mix out.

When I play my mixes I can hear the reverb OK but when I bounce to disk as a .wav internally at 44.1K stereo interleaved
    the reverb is missing from the mix.

Any ideas? I am running 6.1 on XP

2. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

I think I might have found the problem myself, if I route the GBS to a Group Buss it bounces OK.

Therefore my next question is:

Is there a limit on the number of busses you can sum together to the main output and then bounce to disk?

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

As far as I know the only limit is the maximum number of busses specified in your I/O setup dialogue. I don't have it open right now so I forget what that is.

Why are you feeding it from an insert rather than an aux send? You can send pre-fader if that's what you're looking for.

4. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Its probably my Pro Tools early learner description that calls it an insert rather than an aux.

I am sending to the spring reverb via one of the lower 5 set of sends to analogue interface 5+6. the return from the spring is then on an aux input from analogue 5+6.

If I then bus to analogue 1+2 which is the main output bus I can hear the reverb as part of the mix but if I bounce to disk it is missing.

If I bus the reverb return aux to a group via internal bus 9+10 and then route this group to the main mix analogue 1+2 I can hear the reverb in the mix AND it is there on the bounce to disk.

At least I have found a fix for my mixdown but I still cant understand why it isnt working when I bus the aux return straight to the stereo mix bus.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Off the top of my head I can't either, but I had something like that happen to me years ago, where the effects return didn't print when I bounced to disk. As I recall it had something to do with the monitoring mode.

If we could talk on the phone I could troubleshoot with you, but try the Digi Users Conference. You can probably get an answer there.

6. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Thanks Michael I will try there, it is a strange one but at least I am aware of the problem and can work round it.

Besides I should be sub-grouping more as it is too easy just to put everything down the one main out.