1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Pro Tools Problem?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by GaryNattrass, Sep 28, 2004.

1. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Dear learned audio people.

I have a small problem with my Pro Tools system when bouncing to disk.

I have a Great British Spring reverb that is used via analogue ins and outs 5 and 6.

It is fed from an insert as a reverb device and then comes back on an aux return and is then bussed to the main analogue mix out.

When I play my mixes I can hear the reverb OK but when I bounce to disk as a .wav internally at 44.1K stereo interleaved
    the reverb is missing from the mix.

Any ideas? I am running 6.1 on XP

2. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

I think I might have found the problem myself, if I route the GBS to a Group Buss it bounces OK.

Therefore my next question is:

Is there a limit on the number of busses you can sum together to the main output and then bounce to disk?

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

As far as I know the only limit is the maximum number of busses specified in your I/O setup dialogue. I don't have it open right now so I forget what that is.

Why are you feeding it from an insert rather than an aux send? You can send pre-fader if that's what you're looking for.

4. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Its probably my Pro Tools early learner description that calls it an insert rather than an aux.

I am sending to the spring reverb via one of the lower 5 set of sends to analogue interface 5+6. the return from the spring is then on an aux input from analogue 5+6.

If I then bus to analogue 1+2 which is the main output bus I can hear the reverb as part of the mix but if I bounce to disk it is missing.

If I bus the reverb return aux to a group via internal bus 9+10 and then route this group to the main mix analogue 1+2 I can hear the reverb in the mix AND it is there on the bounce to disk.

At least I have found a fix for my mixdown but I still cant understand why it isnt working when I bus the aux return straight to the stereo mix bus.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Off the top of my head I can't either, but I had something like that happen to me years ago, where the effects return didn't print when I bounced to disk. As I recall it had something to do with the monitoring mode.

If we could talk on the phone I could troubleshoot with you, but try the Digi Users Conference. You can probably get an answer there.

6. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Thanks Michael I will try there, it is a strange one but at least I am aware of the problem and can work round it.

Besides I should be sub-grouping more as it is too easy just to put everything down the one main out.