Pro Tools Problems (7.0)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ahou, Jun 18, 2006.

1. ahou

ahou Member

Hello All: (any help would be much abliged). So I am having a problem with getting into my old Pro Tools sessions AND starting new Pro Tools session.

When I attempt to get into my old sessions, I get an error message that reads:
    "This session is saved on a volume set to "Transfer" only. If permitted,
    set the volume in question to "P" (Playback) or "R" (record) in the
    Workspace.
    Otherwise, choose Ok to save a copy of this session and its media to a
    valid playback volume. The session copy will automatically open from the
    chosen location."

When I attempt to start a new session, I get an error message that reads:
    "Session must be on audio record volume"

***If any of you have had this problem in the past, PLEASE PLEASE fill me in. Thank you so much... Oh bye the way, my computer and harddrive are just fine. I'm for certain that it is a pro-tools matter. Thank You all kind people of the gear page.

2. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

digidesign has a great customer support page on their site. Just type in exactly what the error message says and it should help you troubleshoot.
    hope this helps!

3. ahou

ahou Member

I tried going to the Digidesign Page....and it is confusing as the day is long. The user forum is even more confusing. Not organized like the gear page is. Does anyone know specifically where to go on the Digidesign support page?

4. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

Their forum/support pages are actually pretty good and can be had here:
    http://duc.digidesign.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

Select the version of Pro Tools and OS that is right for you & you'll find all kinds of creamy goodness.

I'm really new to Pro Tools, but just by chance have seen the error you mentioned. DigiDesign's instructions are to go to the Windows menu and select 'Show Workspace'. You will see a list of your drives on the left and to the right of each drive will be an 'A'(for Audio) and a 'V'(for Video) column. Under the 'A' column next to your drive it will probably have a 'T'(for Transfer) or 'P'(for Playback) - click on the 'T' or 'P' and, from the drop down list, choose 'Record'. You should now be able to open, play and record in your session as normal.

If you're following Digi's advice and find that you can't choose 'Record', and you are a Windows user, your disk drive is set up as a dynamic disk, rather than a basic one. Pro Tools doesn't like dynamic disks and will automatically alter the workspace config to playback or transfer only, which will generate that error you see. You can only use basic disks with Pro Tools running on Windows, or you're only able to use the disk to store previously created files (transfer) and sometimes playback (this won't always work).

5. ahou

ahou Member

Thanks MJ for the advice...hopefully, i can help you out with something someday.