Pro Tools Step by Step?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by brlfq, Sep 3, 2006.

1. brlfq

brlfq Member

I finally bought a Pro tools setup: M-Audio 1814 with Pro Tools Maudio 7. A few questions:

- Is there a tutorial somewhere on the web? Very basic, One that assumes no experience with pro tools. By reading the manuals and experimenting, I've figured out how to get sound into and out of Pro Tools, I can record a new track while listening to an old track. I can tun on and off plug in's.

- How can I move a track "just a little" to better line up with another track? I think they are being recorded "just a little" out of sync with each other.

- Is there a plug in or some other way for me to "play" drums or bass with my computer keyboard to lay down a basic rhythm track?

- I want a condenser mic and am looking at a Shure KSM 27. Any advice, pro or con? Other suggestions around $300?

- Any advice on buying studio monitors? Features needed; features not needed? Good experience or bad? These will be placed near an LCD monitor.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Chris

2. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

In the Edit Window, can't you just highlight the track you want to move & drag it? Another way, I guess, would be to throw a delay @ 100% on a track.
    Does your Protools package have Reason Adapted??? If so, that has a drum machine & synth bass capabilities.
    I found the Shure KSM line to be a tad sterile, but they are good mics. AudioTechnica has some nice low priced condensers.
    KRK has spme nice low priced monitors.

3. beePee

beePee Member

Chris,Welcome to the DAW recording world.PT LE doesn't have automtaic delay compensation (ADC) like PT HD.Thats why it's $20,000 cheaper (and for other reasons you'll be finding out!)

Set your buffer and you should get close..and of course ..read the manual...:jo

Drums you can sync to a drum machine (Alesis SR-16...yeeech!!) or go the software route.NI Battery or better yet BFD ..check around..

Bass ....well ...uuuh how about a bass...:) ..if you sooner play synth bass check out some soft synths ..there's a million of them PT has decent midi sequencer(they upgraded it)...

You have no idea what brand of worms you opened getting into this...:messedup .

Splurge a little on the mics.Don't be fooled by ...TUBE mic ..or large CONDENSER mics for under $200 (hell $500!!) that sound like Neuman U series....they are just brite and brittle and uselessly ugly for the most part.(the "B" and "M" and "C" word are the big culprits)

Quality is gonna take some buckaroos.Audio Technica 4050 or 4047 for around $500 new will do for almost anything and will always sound good .

I recomend a decent mic pre also (I'm pretty sure the M-A 1814 are not very happening) they are starting a bit high...(gulp $1,000)Can't go wrong with a Great Rivers,API,or Universal Audio,...again ....they make a huge difference!!

Monitors ...may as well have something that actually acurrately represent what you are recording.Again the "B" and MA" words will be temptingly CHEAP !!!

The Blue Sky media Desk are the best buys out there for the $500 range.The next step is double..Blue Sky pro desk,Dynaudio BM5A or the new and very lauded Adam A7.

While you are at it you may as well use that MA only as the PT dongle because the converters aren't even close to something like a RME fireface 400.....

with that "basic" gear lineup...it's only up to you to make it sound good..... :dude

happy tweakin'

BP

4. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

5. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

A few months back I decided to improve my budget home studio, which is used primarily for cutting demos. Although still an amateur, I know far more now then I did when I started. That said, I am a Pro Tools newbie.

The only gear that remains from the old setup is a Shure SM57, Groove Tubes The Brick, and a Yamaha NS-10M pair. They have proven to be so useful, I doubt I'll ever get rid of them. The new setup is based on the Digidesign Mbox 2 with Pro Tools LE 7.1 with the Factory Bundle running on a WinXP desktop. This is a relatively inexpensive setup and has exceeded my expectations.

Beginner Tutorials
    The October 2006 issue of Future Music Magazine has a CD-ROM with video tutorials from Pro Tools CSi Master course. The course looks pretty cool. I used the Pro Tools Method One DVD that comes with PT7 LE and got enough out of it to get up and running.

Nudging Tracks
    +1 on the Edit Window move - But because I'm more comfortable Ableton Live, I'm currently using the Digidesign Edition rewired inside of PT7 LE for editing recorded audio.

+1 on reducing latency by changing your buffer settings - Also while tracking, make sure the signal you're monitoring does not include both the live input and the printed track.

Bass & Drums Tracks
    You could use the Xpand! plug-in that is included with PT7 LE and M-Powered as a virtual instrument for drum tracks and bass lines. You could also use prerecorded loops and samples like those in the Bunker 8 CD, which also comes with PT7 LE. I'm currently familiarizing myself with FXpansion BFD (Lite version comes with PT7 LE) and it looks promising.

Condenser Mics
    +1 on the Audio-Technica condenser mics

I'm happy with the AT4040 and it is in your price range ($299 street). I'm running it in to a Groove Tubes The Brick ($399 street) and from there to the Digidesign Mbox 2. The Brick is one of those devices that comes in handy in so many applications. For a budget mic-pre, it delivers a nice warm tone.

Studio Monitors
    Headphones (AKG, Sennheiser, Ultrasone, etc.) are a relatively inexpensive way to listen to music critically. I also have a pair of Roland DS-5 (active, digital, $199 ea. street) and a pair of Yamaha NS-10M (passive, analog, ~$200-$300 ea. used). While the NS-10Ms are standards, I prefer the convenience and wide-band fidelity of the DS-5s. That said, I use headphones (K 701 for "nice sound" and HD 280 Pro or HFI-650 for "critical sound") most often when tracking, arranging, mixing, and mastering (sheah right).

Cheers,
    McE

6. brlfq

brlfq Member

Thanks, this'll get me started. I ordered the Pro Tools 101 book and dvd. I'm hoping this will get me going.

Chris

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

www.digidesign.com there are some very worthwile tutorials for someone who has never used a computer based DAW to get started. I bought the David Franz book when I bought my 002. I think PT comes with a getting started-type video now, too, doesn't it?

8. brlfq

brlfq Member

Mine didn't come with one. Sure would have been handy!

Chris