Pro Tools Users---PT 11 and Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Teleking, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Anyone done the deed?

Thoughts? I'm going to need to real soon.

Any issues you've run into? Thanks

2. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

I'm running 10 and haven't updated to Yosemite out of fear of it stop working.

3. rob2966

rob2966 Member

I am currently running PT11 and Yosemite, its working great. Not sure where you are currently at though (PT10 and Mavericks?) so not sure if you are looking for feedback on the PT side or the OS side (or both).

Going to PT11 there is one HUGE thing to be aware of. All the plug-ins need to be in AAX 64-bit format (older RTAS 32-bit will not work). Obviously any built in Digi plugins are fully converted with the PT11 install. My Eleven plugin, Arturia soft synths, EZ Drummer, all just required downloading and installing the new AAX version. My AutoTune EVO RTAS plugin would have required paying for an upgrade so I didn't re-install it (didn't use it much anyway).

Basically, just check the status of your plug-ins and determine if you will have to pay to upgrade any of them if you do install PT11.

Later
    Rob

4. rob2966

rob2966 Member

You are actually able to have PT10 (maybe only the last version, you would need to check that) and PT11 both installed on Yosemite. I only have PT11 so can't speak to how well it works but I know it is supported.

Later
    Rob

5. ronzie

ronzie Supporting Member

PT 10 will work but is not supported by Avid with Yosemite(or Mavs). It's best to have 10 and 11 (co-install) on Mountain Lion, then install the OS on top of that. There are no uninstallers for 10 on Mav or Yos.

Yosemite will stop a PT 10 install with Gatekeeper and you have to jump through hoops in the terminal to install it. To uninstall, you have to manually drag most files to the trash. Fun, if you need to reinstall.

PT 11 works on Yosemite, provided you do all of the Avid tweaks and keep to the recommend specs. Then, you see the the issues: Cpu spikes, delay compensation bugs with multi-out soft synths, a video engine that is basically useless.

PT 12 is out in March. Make sure you get on their awesome support plan so you can pay for them NOT to fix the above bugs, but get ... Drum roll, please...
    Cloud Collaboration... Good times