Proanalog Dual Drive Users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, Jan 20, 2006.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Can you use any 12V adaptor (there's one from Dunlop which you can buy at zzounds.com)...does the mamp matter?

2. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

If you have a Voodoo Lab Pedal power 2 it can work from that, all you have to do is under the box is connect the pedal to one of the first 4 outputs & move the switch away from normal & that is 12V!!!

Otherwise I'm not sure the pedal at 9V is still impressive!!

3. Lefty

Lefty Member

I like it at 9vlts, but even better at 12! Scotty told me at 9vlts the circuit is actually voltage starved. Highly recommend 12v!! it makes a great pedal even better!! To answer your Q, as long as the adapter is sleeve + and tip -, you'll be ok. But not all adapters are created equal, you may have noise. I had a cheapo multi-voltage AC adapter lying about and it sucked, all noise.

4. smilefan

smilefan Member

I see a bunch of Dual Drives for sale. I'll bet many of the
    sellers have never heard it on 12V, where its supposed to be.
    A $300 pedal is a big investment to give up on before
    hearing it the way it way meant to be heard. I've heard it
    both ways. Once you hear the 12V, you'll never use it again
    at 9V.

5. Lefty

Lefty Member

x10!

6. Ned

Ned Member

what about 18 volts?

7. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Yes Ned, 18V is cool for the Dual Drive. Just make sure the polarity (tip neg, which is common for most pedals) is correct.

I've never heard it at 18V. I use the 12V adaptor that Scotty sells with it and like it best like that, tho' I have a liking for the 9V operation too, which, on the red channel, is a little more compressed in a sweet kind of way.

8. Ned

Ned Member

is the clean channel on the dual drive anything like the TIM?

9. Craise

Craise Member

Ned, I thought so....Yes
    I tried the TIM, KOT and DD all side by side and they are in the same ballpark for sure. But the TIM has more gain for sure.
    IMHO! YMMV ;)

10. Ned

Ned Member

of the TIM, KOT, and DD which was your favorite Craise?

11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

interesting... I don't use much gain so don't fiddle on that end of the spectrum but I thought the DD seemed to have more gain than TIM. I run both of them btw, TIM on almost all the time, DD staged in for effect.

DD definitely sounds better at 12v and best with an amp that's being driven IMO.

cheers,
    Jon

12. Craise

Craise Member

I didn't try the DD at 12 only at 9. FYI I never owned a DD or KOT but had them for a week to check them out. It was right when the DD first came out. So things might have changed? I didn't think the DD had much gain at all...even on the 2nd channel it was still about the same as the first channel of the TIM. I felt like all three sounded great...and were all going for the same thing. Amp like, transparant, more of your amp with hair on top. I really liked the yellow channel of the KOT...the red side was a bit more ratty sounding..to my ears. DD might have been the most musical. I didn't think the DD's tone knobs had that wide of a range, the TIM's tone knobs on the other hand (treb and bass)are some of the best I've ever used, you can really match the pedal to your amp. As for bang for the buck...the TIM wins hands down.. $100 more for both the DD and KOT. All three are great sounding pedals and get the job done with great tone. Giving you, your guitar plus amp sound with a little(or a lot) more hair on top. IMHO ! Hope this helps :)

13. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I've never tried a TIM BUT have owned the Analogman King Of Tone & still own the Pro Analog Dual Drive. I felt the King Of Tone had great presence but was abit grainy ( if that's a word!!) I felt the Dual Drive was more transparent with great fidelity & worked very well with other pedals!!

14. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I asked Scotty directly today. As long as the ACA setting on the PP2 is 12VDC, it should work fine.

15. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

With the old Furman patch bay system, I used the Dual Drive w/ a Dunlop 18v adaptor. Now that I have a Pedal Power 2 +, I use the 12v setting for the DD and it works great!

The pedal really lacked at 9v, 18v is very cool and 12v is my favorite. I use the clean boost through my overdrive channel... gets some great sustain and beefs up the signal a bit while still getting the dynamics of the original tone.

16. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Thanks for the real world confirmation Chris!

17. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Does ProAnalog have a website?

18. muddy

muddy Member

19. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

That page doesn't work.

20. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I believe it's under construction....