• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Probably a dumb question - but what does a "directional" insturment cable mean?

sickboy79

I feel like I know my gear - but, I don't know this one! What does it mean to have a Directional guitar cable? I ask because I've been using Plant Waves Custom Pro's for a couple years. Sound great and no problems with them. But, I was re-reading my May 2008 issue of Guitar Player with the 49 cable shoot-out, and I noticed that my cables were one of the few that were directional. After reading that I noticed that one of the plugs on each cable had "Shielded End" on it, and the other did not. Is there a certain way I'm suppossed to be plugging in? Is there something that I'm missing? Is there an advantage to a directional cable?

Thanks for the help!

bluescube

Silver Supporting Member
it's all marketing hype to sell product. Copper wire passes electrons both ways.

IvIark

It means some cable manufacturers have discovered a way to get more money out of guitarists

sickboy79

Thanks guys - i appreciate it. I can't tell a difference at all no matter which way I plug the cable in. I was just curious if there was anything to it.

Wow.. all of you are so blinded by what you think they're "claiming" into actually looking into what they ARE CLAIMING. Which is that they use two conductors and only have the shield ground at one side instead of using the shield as the ground connection and a single conductor. Evidence does the same thing.

reeced

Wow.. all of you are so blinded by what you think they're "claiming" into actually looking into what they ARE CLAIMING. Which is that they use two conductors and only have the shield ground at one side instead of using the shield as the ground connection and a single conductor. Evidence does the same thing.
Exactly - lifting the ground at one end is common practice in audio wiring.

stinkfoot

I noticed that one of the plugs on each cable had "Shielded End" on it, and the other did not. Is there a certain way I'm suppossed to be plugging in? Is there something that I'm missing? Is there an advantage to a directional cable?
Cable voodoo aside (and there's plenty of discussion on that subject, as starfish pointed out), your cable has two conductors inside the shield (hot + ground), while the shield is only connected in one of the plugs. The theory is to let the shield pick up any noise and interference and transport it to the amp's ground plane (without mixing it up with the signal ground in the cable). So the end marked "shielded" should be pointing towards the amp.

This kind of cable is not directional in the sense that it claims to sound better facing one way over the other - it has nothing to do with electrons travelling faster a certain way :D It's just a wiring style that - at least in theory - does a better job at keeping noise and interference out of the signal.

/Andreas

Trending Topics