Probably a stupid question...is it way harder to sell an "unloaded" combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Whiz, Feb 28, 2008.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Thinking of selling my Mesa Blue Angel 2x10 on craigslist. But I really love the tone of the emi alnico 20 watt 10" speakers in it. Not so much with the Blue Angel, but with my Hayseed 15. And they killed with my old Dr Z Z28 too. So I'm thinking of pulling them and keeping them until I get a 4x10 cab down the road (and then mixing with other speakers or trying to find 2 more of the identical speakers, I think they're rare though.)

I don't want to go through the expense of getting some new 10's just for making it easier to sell, but I imagine the ability to sell it unloaded may be difficult.

Any advice? Or maybe just a shoulder to cry on? :rotflmao

:munch

2. KBN

KBN Member

I am probably not in the majority, but I would rather buy an empty cab. To me a loaded cab is likely going to be a an inconvenience since I would have to go to the effort of selling the speakers. If I buy a loaded cab I am looking for a screaming deal. That is just me though.

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Personally I'd rather by a combo or cab with no speaker/s unless its loaded with Scumback/s being thats my speaker of choice. Most guys have a favorite speaker so I think its an advantage to buy a combo/cab with no speaker/s unless your asking the same price as others with the speaker included.

4. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

You two have filled me with new found confidence. And I thank you heartily.

;)

Any more opinions?

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Oh yeah, in case it wasn't obvious, the amp is in there too. I'd be selling the Mesa Blue Angel combo amp but without internal speakers.
    ;)

6. KBN

KBN Member

Ahh, that is a little different. Combo amps should come with speakers. Keep your Emi's and pick up a different set of used 10s to put in the amp.

Edit: If I had adequately read the original post I would have figured that out though, wouldn't have I? Damn dyslexia.

7. edward

edward Supporting Member

Are those particular emi's rare?? If so, then most certainly keep them and load the amp with something decent ...Mesa's Black shadows are always popping up on ebay, and can be had very cheaply, and will also add to the "originality" of the amp, arguably increasing your chances for getting a better price.

But if your emi's are readily available, I'd just sell them with the amp and re-acquire them when you actually needed them. You never really know if that'll be "your sound" later on, or if you'll ever really get that cab. Unless you're building said cab right now, I'd sell it all (presumably to get what you really want to get).

Edward

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I would offer it for sale both ways and add the cost of decent speakers to the 2nd price. A lot of folks who want an amp don't know much about buying and installing speakers.

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Yeah, I put it on craigslist. $700 with speakers, $600 without. We'll see what happens.

The speakers are pretty rare I think. Eminence makes the Legend 1028 35 watters but these ones, I believe, are the no longer made Legend 1028 20 watters. Maybe tonally they're similar though. These were stock in the Blue Angel I believe.

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It depends....

If the speakers were stock with the amp and are integral to the sound (think AC30/Blues), then it's probably not a good idea to break them up.

OTOH, if it's one of the many amps that sound best with various flavors of speakers (think Fender or D style), then I'd prefer to buy a combo that way (unless of course you like the same speakers I like!). It's safer, lighter, and cheaper to ship, and I don't need to sell a pair of speakers I know I won't use.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Me too...but wouldn't you also expect a pretty high reduction in price too? (even though you prefer it that way?).

12. Wayne Guitar

Wayne Guitar Member

Papa Taco I am interested in buying your Blue Angel Amp...loaded or not loaded with speakers. Send me an Email...musicinnovations@comcast.net

13. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If it's not a vintage amp I don't think it makes any difference at all, especially since most people like to experiment with speakers.