Probably the best guitar value in the world

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by runningman, Sep 4, 2019.

1. zryder

zryder Member

The Fender Classic Player Series and Classic Series have long been recognized here as some of the best value guitars for the money, especially used.

monty and jpervin like this.
  2. GA20T

GA20T Member

It is truly a remarkable time for anyone on a budget looking to get into an excellent guitar and amplifier setup.

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  3. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Best guitar value is the one that convinces you that you don’t need to buy any more guitars.

4. haggisbasher

haggisbasher Member

80,s MIJ Strats are hard to beat. If you get the early Vintage 50s runs ( Made in Japan and V serial # stamped on neck heal) they were using USA necks, USA bodies, cloth wired fat 50 PUs and USA hardware sent to the factory while it was being tooled and set up. I have a couple and they are outstanding. Best value for money for me was a Norlin era Deluxe Les Paul I got at a yard sale for $400. The people selling it had no idea what it was :)

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I agree 100% with CG87.

I also get amazing deal s on good quality used guitars.

RM, you bought a $825 guitar for, so that is a good deal.

By the same reasoning, my $100 USA Fender Highway 1 Tele could be the best deal in the world.

My $400 Fender '57 AVRI Strat could also be in running for best deal in the world.

Unless others can repeat my killer deals on a very regular basis, they're just Killer deals on great guitars

Congrats a a good score on your guitar RM.

6. RodR

RodR Member

I nominate my Epiphone Les Paul Special I with two P90s with real alnico magnets. Up there with the most fun $70 bucks I've spent.

Bodeanicus, AprioriMark and T Dizz like this.
  7. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

My Classic Player has been the best Strat I’ve owned, and I’m not even a Strat guy. I did swap out the stock pickups for Fralins, put in a new wiring harness and replaced the mint pickguard with a W/B/W one, but those changes made a great guitar even better.

Leader Desslok, Caribou and zryder like this.
  8. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

these days fender and gibson have to purposely put bad pups in their cheaper models to make people think theres a reason to buy the high end models.

tochiro likes this.
  9. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

HERSCHEL and Fretlessbaby like this.
  10. monty

monty Member

True, I recently picked up a Indo made Jackson that was a flawless pro grade instrument.

11. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

I'm currently gassing for a Classic Series 60s, and this is not helping. :D

Fretlessbaby likes this.
  12. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

It's Squier.

13. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

These days it's easy to find a good playing, sounding, used guitar for $400.

I bought a used PRS Soapbar II from GC a couple years ago for $269 that was outstanding. Featherweight, super resonant, great neck and frets. I couldn't believe how good that guitar was. I bought it on impulse and then sold it as I've got a room full of great guitars but I kinda wish I had that particular one back. When I see a PRS SE on the wall I usually pick it up to check it out and they seem to be consistently good.

14. runningman

runningman Member

yeah, it's very interesting the way things have developed. with modern manufacturing techniques and a few well-placed people, there's no reason you can't make equivalent quality guitars more or less anywhere in the world. particularly electrics.

I really wonder if companies like Gibson and Fender haven't experimented with this. I suppose you could argue that Fender already has in Japan, but that's not really a typical case, because Japan had a history of luthiery going back to the '60s, as well as a very skilled workforce coupled with a culture that values precision and incremental improvement.

If Gibson, for example, gave top-quality materials--wood, hardware & electronics--to its Epiphone factory in China, and had them finish guitars with nitro, I highly doubt the guitars would be any worse than what comes out of Nashville, and they might even be better.

tochiro likes this.
  15. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I purchased a Mexi Strat for my college student son earlier this year. The neck pocket was as tight as any Suhr/Anderson I’ve ever owned (which surprised me) and the overall fit/finish was crazy good. I brought it to a local luthier/archtop builder who did his magic on the setup and frets and you’d be shocked how nice it is...

16. fitz

fitz Member

I had a Daphne Blue 50's Classic at the same time I had my '57 AVRI. Aside from the obvious difference in the build materials the 50's Classic had virtually the same neck, body cut, feel, & tone. I thought it was an amazing value at the time & should have never sold it.

17. seward

seward Member

Pounds and ounces man, we need POUNDS AND OUNCES

18. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Really? What year is it, 2005? I remember the big deal about those on the HC forums, and when I got one I couldn't have been more disappointed. Felt like what it was; a cheap guitar. A buddy was a massive Agile fanboy, and he kept buying one after the other, and yet kept selling them. I guess he couldn't admit to himself they're just average.

19. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

IME Fender can be a bit hit or miss. I had an American Standard Strat that was somewhere from nothing special to dead. I had an American Standard Tele that most people assumed was a custom shop. It recorded better than a Tom Andersen & K-Line.

20. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

I've often said that for the money it's hard to beat a used Mexican strat/tele or a Korean PRS SE. I've gotten them as cheap as $250.