1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Probett Rockett III - Order placed....

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by j.s.tonehound, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Shane S

Shane S Member

@Baemer is spot on with his assessment of the '59 Rocket. We A/B'd it with my JG BM's and other guitars from my collection and this particular example hung right there with guitars costing x 3 more.

Baemer and tj93 like this.
  2. tj93

tj93 Member

Thank you both! It seems that whatever I go for, I won't be disappointed! I have an LP replica in the works, do you think it would just be doubling up on the same thing if I went with a 59? Or do you think an R3 would be best as a complimentary, different sort of animal? I have a nice tele also

Baemer likes this.
  3. Shane S

Shane S Member

@tj93 The 59 is a more ergonomic LP. Personally, if you have a replica in the works and are looking to diversify your stable of instruments I would go with the R3. I have spent a significant amount of time with a R3 and it is a game changer for me. I have never liked Strats and Damian fixed everything about the Strat that I had a problem with: Thin/bright tone (especially the bridge pickup) and scale length. The alnico rod P-90s sound "bigger" than traditional middle and neck strat pickups. One thing to note is his necks are wider at the nut than standard Gibson style guitars: 1.693″ vs. 1.685"

Jaya, tj93 and Baemer like this.
  4. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

And I, for one, love the wider nut for my style of playing. To call it smooth would be an understatement. :)

Jaya and tj93 like this.
  5. tj93

tj93 Member

@Shane S @Baemer thanks again guys! Both make a great case for an R3! Seems like a juiced up Strat with all the added Gibson goodness, and then some! Should cover most of the late 60s early 70s guitar heroes. I just can't resist the tops on those 59s!! Do you think it'd bring soemthing different to the table alongside another replica?

6. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

Hi tj, the rocket '59 wraps around you in a pretty unique way, really hugging your body, which I find quite comfortable.
    The tummy cut ends at about the 17th fret, so the entire fretboard feels very easy to access compared to a Les Paul.
    The angle of the top carve in relation to the wrap tail gives another super comfortable playing position from behind the bridge, as well as the already awesome hand on bridge playing position.
    The SS frets are super smooth, without imparting any noticeable 'zing'.
    The tone of the guitar has a noticeable compression-like sound, however, it is very dynamic.
    Finally, it plays and resonates better than any Les Paul I've played.

Hope this helps!

Pls note, I am affiliated with Damian (see link below), but I am also a huge fan and my R3 is my number 1.

Best, B

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Jaya and tj93 like this.
  7. tj93

tj93 Member

Thanks @Baemer! Very detailed feedback, I wouldn't even know how to describe what you did if someone asked me, but the extra little details really help! It seems like that there is room for a replica and a Rocket '59 in anyone's collection, they seem fantastic! I guess it is just that lovely maple top, binding and mahogany body that really draws me in, you know that money shot I'm on about!

Having said that, the R3 does seem like a guitar that would be more valuable at the current time. This thread is a testament to their high standards, and the value for money is incredible! I think they could fill that Strat void, even though they do so much more. Would a two pickup P90 R3 be similar to his 54 Goldtop do you think?

Thanks!

Also, I saw one of your threads about your work and I'm reading your website now, really great work! Love it when these projects take off

I hope I haven't hijacked the thread btw! Apologies if I have

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Jaya and Baemer like this.
  8. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

The RIII does seem like the right choice for you at this point in time.

A 2 P90 one would certainly be similar to the 54 but wouldn't have the maple top and the sonic effects that brings. Intuitively one might suppose that would make it darker but in comparing mine to a LP replica I find it occupies more high-mids vs the LP's low-mids; think SG vs Les Paul.

BTW a two P90 RIII in goldtop gold would look killer. Just sayin' ;)

tj93 likes this.
  9. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

How's progress on your Rocket J. S.? Can't be far away now.

10. tj93

tj93 Member

cheers mate! It does seem the best choice. You're right regarding that maple top, it would certainly make a difference when comparing a R3 with dual P90s and a Rocket '54 with dual P90s, I guess the 3 pickups can compensate for it, but that maple top though.... too many options!

That's a great shout with the goldtop RIII! Something will definitely happen that's for sure, this being the best place to bounce new ideas, like that push/pull idea you cam up with! :)

Looking forward to seeing your axe J.S!

11. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

No worries.

Don't forget Damian himself is great to bounce ideas off. Tell him your goals and he's the best person to guide you.

I will say though, while we all love figured maple tops, don't go that route just because it looks prettier if something else is going to suit you better.

12. tj93

tj93 Member

you're spot on there! I think an R3 is best. Maple topped Rocket can wait for now :)

13. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

I'm not too sure tbh. I've just left Damian to it. When I went down to visit he had a fair old pile to work through and I'm in no rush so I just thought I'd leave him to crack on with it all. I've seen a couple of guitars go out that were before mine so I think it might be some time in the next couple of months. It'd be cool to get them before my birthday but it also suits my cashflow to hang on for a bit.

Corinthian and telecrazy like this.
  14. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Thank you!

15. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

Apologies for the sidetracking, JS. Can't wait to see your new beauty! B

j.s.tonehound likes this.
  16. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Thank you! And no worries, it is actually the thread I started about the guitar I ordered so really it's more a case of getting it back on track! hahaha! It's all good. The more talk about Probett the better no matter where it is!

17. telecrazy

telecrazy Supporting Member

Any sign of a cherry Meteor? :)

j.s.tonehound likes this.
  18. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

I thought you might be in luck but it's actually a RIII being painting cherry today. (See Damian's Instagram feed for details!)

telecrazy likes this.
  19. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Aww yisss! Gonna be sweet when this baby rolls in.

beorn, Shane S, Baemer and 2 others like this.
  20. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Played this one at jam last week through a Tweed Deluxe and Fender reverb tank...big beautiful sounding in all pick up positions.

[​IMG]

That blue Meteor is calling me...and I do not need another guitar!

Baemer, Davy and j.s.tonehound like this.