Problem with local sale. What would you do? Fast help please!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hazmat33, Feb 5, 2012.

1. hazmat33

hazmat33 Supporting Member

So last night I met a guy at a club my band was playing at later in the night.

He bought a '04 Gibson guitar from me that came with the unfilled warranty card. He gave me a certified bank check, we shook hands and he took the guitar and went home.

He calls me today and says he doesn't like the neck on it. I'm nice and say if he drives to my home I'll take it back. He lives about 70mins away. When I open the case the warranty card is not in there. I told him I won't take it back without the card. He says he does not have and doesn't remember taking it. I know for a fact I saw him walk out with it in his hand as I walked him to his car so he wasn't walking down the road alone with the guitar.

The guy claims I'm ripping him off over a useless piece of paper.

I say that if I buy a guitar from Gtr Center and try to take it back a few days later without the paperwork they would not take it.

Am I right?

I told him if he finds it to come back. Not sure he will want to after some of the things he said to me.

Any thoughts???

2. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

If he played it first, he knew what he was buying. Just my 2 cents

3. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

Not much to add. Seems like the deal is done based on the way the two of you parted. Hope he's not the angry type and decides he wants to come after you. Not saying he's justified, just never know about some folks.

4. hazmat33

Yeah, he noodles around on it.
    Plus I told him if he got home and decided he didn't like it he could come back as I would be at the club for about 5-6 hrs more.

He was pretty p*ssed when he left. I offered to call the local cops if he wanted.

5. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

The warranty card is part of what he paid for. If that is not returned as well then he is not returning what he paid for.

6. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

im not a store. if i sell something, i dont have a return policy. especially if it gets tried out prior to being purchased...

8. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Gibson does not honor the warranty on used instruments at all, warranty card, or not.

9. hazmat33

Before the deal was made he made sure the paperwork/hang-tags were included. I told him all I had was the warranty card and he was fine with that.

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I always have a photo of the guitar and all associated papers to keep as a record of what was sold/delivered. Helps for situations like this.

I agree that the card is part of the deal, but not sure you must have it to register the guitar which you can do online. Warranty doesn't go w/ the guitar anyway so perhaps a partial refund for the guy (what's the card worth? I'm not sure)?

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Guitar Center would accept a return without a warranty card.

From Gibson's site "THIS WARRANTY IS EXTENDED TO THE ORIGINAL RETAIL PURCHASER ONLY AND MAY NOT BE TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED TO SUBSEQUENT OWNERS. IN ORDER TO VALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY, AND AS A CONDITION PRECEDENT TO WARRANTY COVERAGE HEREUNDER, YOU MUST RETURN YOUR WARRANTY REGISTRATION CARD WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) DAYS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE. YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE OR SALES RECEIPT MUST ACCOMPANY ALL REQUESTS FOR WARRANTY COVERAGE."

I don't see that the warranty card has any value to either of you at this point.

That said, you're not Guitar Center, and I don't see why you feel any obligation to take the guitar back at all.

12. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Why are you listening to his complaints about HIS Guitar.?

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

OP, I'm sorry to hear about the troubles. You we're VERY nice to offer to take the guitar back and I think the buyer experiencing remorse isn't really your problem especially when he didn't return the warranty card with the guitar. Now that you're on this road I'd still give him his money back if he can come up with the warranty card and the guitar is in the same condition as you sold it. My concerns are with things like pickup swaps while the guitar was in the guys possession. Make sure you're getting back everything you sold.

If you ever find yourself in this situation again, I'd meet the person somewhere other than your home. He didn't know where you live when he bought the guitar and it would have been best to leave it that way when he wanted to return the guitar. Some people just are not right in the head. There IS leverage on his end when he knows where you live.

Hope it works out and soon! :)

14. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

I hope the OP doesn't get to find out that a certified check can bounce.......

15. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Sounds like buyers remorse to me...

16. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

They both may be at that bank branch tomorrow when they open the doors.

17. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

This is what I was thinking. You better get that check cashed fast.

18. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Warranty card meaningless wo/ sales receipt frpm authorized Gibson dealer. That pice of paper is what matters. Neither matter w used instruments.

19. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Once he walked out the door with the guitar the deal was done card or no card it's irrelevant. Unless there was some hidden damage to the instrument that was not apparent when he was trying it out.
    It was very kind of you to offer the refund though, if you were clear with him before he came over that the warranty card needed to come back with the guitar then he was way out of line if he was confrontational and I would have shown him the door immediately.

20. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Doug I need more tubes, I want to try some KT66's in my Soldano SLO I 'll be calling you tomorrow. I wanted your advice on the distortion rating first though.