Problem with my Komet?? Help!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by NOVA70, Mar 11, 2005.

1. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

Hi,
    Before I pack up my Komet and ship it to Mike & Hogy I'd thought I would get some input first. As of late I've noticed that my Komet #40 sounds very percussive or choppy/hard especially when playing faster passages. Sounds like there is a compressor in line. The notes just don't have that fluid sound. I've tried every type of tube combination as well as different cabs. Same sound. The only slight difference I've noticed is when I mismatch the Speaker ohms using the switch ex: using a 16 ohm cab and putting the amp on 8 ohm. That seems to soften it up a bit.
    Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Pat

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

I don't know what is wrong with your amp but "Compression" is when the dynamics of all the notes are smoothed out - when there is little difference in volume between the attack, sustain and decay. Amps with MV's usually get compressed - I'm simplifying of course........

Best, Pete.

3. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

Hi Pete,
    Maybe using the term compression is wrong. It sounds choppy not smooth almost like your picking very hard.
    Pat

4. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

Yes, I had a 5au4 in it and after reading posts on the site I put the Mullard 5ar back in. Could it be a filter or cap going bad?
    Pat

5. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

I'm going to ship it out on Monday.
    Regards

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Sounds like a bad screen grid resistor on one of the output tubes. It's a fairly easy fix if you know you're way around the inside of an amp and how to use a voltmeter.