Problem with my Zoom H2 - anyone experienced this?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by carljoensson, Apr 30, 2008.

1. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,
    Inspired by some threads here and posts I went out today and bought the Zoom H2 portable recorder. Took it to the band rehearsal and recorded a few songs. It did not work out perfectly.

I'm sure this can be a great tool for me - but either I'm doing something wrong or I simply got a lemon. Every now and then during a recording I get a "superfast" electric disturbing sound. It sounds very much like when pulling out a cable of a guitar/pedal with the volume on. English not being my mothertongue I lack a better word or description for it. "A glitch sound"?? The "glitch sound" is recorded onto the tracks, and is there after transferring them to my computer. It comes on seemingly at random, maybe every 10 or 30 seconds. (To my layman-ears it does not seem to be a "digital disturbance" but rather something electric, but what do I know - next to nothing :().

I recorded wav-files. Both front mics (90 degrees angle) and two-channel surround. I tried running the H2 both on adapter and batteries with the same result.

For once I'm happy I did not order this thing from overseas, but bought it in my local store - unless somebody could help me troubleshoot I'll just go back and ask to get another one.

Apart from this, the H2 seems nice. Learning where to place it within a room, finding out which kind of room is great, how to set levels etc will take some time to fully master. The overall sound seems pleasant and clean. No hiss etc - but really annoying glitches.

(EDIT: Troubleshooting following Isfahani's advice on checking with a different sd-card proved successful!/Thanks)

Thanks for any input!

/Carl

2. isfahani

isfahani Member

Return it for a replacement, there's quite a few instances of 'broken out of the box' H2's out there on various forums.

Aside from that, have you tried another SD card? Those things are worth a dime, mass produced by the millions, so QC isn't the best even with a 'name brand' IMO

3. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Thankyou for a fast reply!!
    Maybe I could try the SD card from my digital camera. I suppose I need to reformat it within the H2. I'll try that straightaway.

Thanks/Carl

4. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi again Isfahani!
    Maybe your trouble-shooting was spot-on! The SanDisk card (is that the original brand - better quality?) from our little Nikon camera worked just fine. I recorded three small clips without any "glitches" at all.

The 512 SD-card that came with the H2 is called INX.

It's bedtime around here, so I'll test it some more tomorrow. If the trend continues I can just ask for another SD-card in the store.

Thanks again! I love this place, at times like these - a little less when it pumps me up with GAS. Oh well!

Cheers,
    /Carl

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

The card that came with my H2 did the exact same thing. I tried re-formatting many times. Bought a new one, problem solved.

6. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Yes, I tried reformatting once too. No luck.
    If the faulty sd-card won't work in the H2 - could it still work for a camera?

I'll probably get a 2Gb card for the H2. Are any brands considered better than others?

/C

7. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

I wouln't try it. I would discard it. Why risk bad or missed photos? Toss it and get a new one.

I am glad you found the problem. I LOVE my H2, which has served me flawlessly since I bought it. I never used the included card, though. I bought a 4 Gig SanDisk SD card for it from the beginning. I have several SanDisk cards and have never had trouble with any of them.

Good luck!

8. mindseye

mindseye Member

You could have been peaking out also????

9. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

recording too loud you mean? No, the levels were all the time around half. And glitches came on also when recording silence.

Faulty sd-card seems to be the reason. Thanks for the input anyway!/C

10. isfahani

isfahani Member

SanDisk is not highly regarded in the SD consumers' world. But, if you don't do the research, then hey - it's like archiving photos to those Memorex brand DVDR's, good luck 6 months down the line, if you manage to get it burned in the 1st place!

I bought a 4GB Transcend (after not having any problems with the 2GB one I got previous to that, and it still works fine) and the 4GB card locked up on me when I quit recording... Had to take the battery out as I had waited 15mins for the H2 to turn off after flipping the switch, then it was corrupt - period - and wouldn't format or nothin'.

So, I guess the whole deal with SD card tech is YMMV, as I said before, mass produced by the millions...

11. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

I'll probably do some research, but if anyone knows of a brand with better reputation than most - please chime in!

Thanks,

Carl

12. isfahani

isfahani Member

Check the reviews on the individual cards on newegg.com, and then go over to cdfreaks.com and do a search about SD cards too. For the record, I have 2 2GB SD cards that have worked fine for about a year now: Transcend and Crucial. As noted, the 4GB Transcend didn't do so well...

13. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I have 2 lifetime memory products secure digital cards in mine.

This little recorder is absolutely amazing. I record EVERYTHING now. I have probably quadrupled my songwriting output (Quality and quantity) since I got this little sucker!

14. Slyib

Slyib Member

In the shadow of the Space Needle (Seattle, WA)
    My H2 is working fine. Does a pretty good job of capturing rehearsals.

-Brett

15. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Cell phones in close proximity or electronic interference" Using batteries or AC adapter? or a flaw in the unit. My H2 always works great AC or battery

16. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

So, I went back to my local store today. Not only did they replace the faulty "no-brand" memory-card, but they upgraded me to a SanDisk Ultro 2GB for free. I'm gonna have to think twice next time I plan on buying something via the Internet. Local is nice!

Thanks,
    Carl