Problem with pedal jacks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ImBored, May 28, 2015.

1. ImBored

ImBored Member

i use a one spot (i know, i know) to power 7 pedals due to the lack of money and lately my pedals sound weird
    the first and 3rd pedal (the oldest pedals) sound like the batteries are dying i talked to a regular technician and he said that probably the jacks have accumulated grime and dirt over the years and that caused the dying battery sound, i forgot to ask him how to clean the jacks
    so now im asking you guys, how do you clean the jacks?

2. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

Use a contact cleaner, like WD-40

3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Electric tuner cleaner spray.
    Also use steel wool on the plugs to shine them up.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Contact cleaner is the answer to your question, but I fail to see how corrosion would change the tone. There is either contact or non-contact.

5. ImBored

ImBored Member

the technician is saying the grime prevents the contact, or creates a semi contact that's why those pedal sound like they are dying or they don't sound at all
    the problem is if those two pedals start to fail, every pedal of the board starts to fail with the exception of my musket

6. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Are you sure you have enough current available for all the pedals? Have you tried putting them on other power supplies/batteries to confirm that the problem is not power?

Go ahead and clean the contacts, but if that doesn't fix the problem the power supply may be the problem.

7. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

Respectfully, please never use WD-40 on any electronic components. It's not made for that and it may create more issues.

Deoxit is a great contact cleaner.

gibs5000, Skreddy and Roe like this.
  8. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

NO!

WD40 is not for electronics and leaves a residue that will likely collect more dirt and grime.
    I wouldn't even use contact cleaner either. Contact cleaner is semi-conductive which can potentially create issues (though not often in pedals.) The bigger problem is it usually just moves things around and then they settle back in.

As for the actual problem I suspect the tech you spoke to is wrong. Most guitar pedals use very little current, and the resistance created by dirty contacts is usually either very little to the point where you don't notice a problem, OR not working at all. The fact that it's three pedals that all have the exact same problem is even more suspicious.

Have you tried each pedal running on their own without any of the other pedals plugged in or powered?

Roe likes this.
  9. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with a 1Spot unless you use it poorly. Drawing more current than it can dish out, using digital (especially time-based) pedals in conjunction with other units, etc.

10. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

You may be right. I've never used a WD-40 but I thought that was the most common (generic) contact cleaner, that's why I mentioned it.

Faraldi likes this.
  11. shinksma

shinksma Member

Have you added/swapped any pedals recently?

It is possible that the One Spot suffered some kind of failure and is no longer capable of supporting your desired current. Can you list off the pedals you are using?

btw, nothing wrong with a OneSpot - I use two of them to power different boards, one with about 15 pedals plus a programmable loop switcher. But no serious current draws or weird voltage requirements - all 9VDC, totaling about 1000 mA, maybe a bit less (a OneSpot supports up to 1700mA).

And yeah, WD-40 is not really appropriate for anything electrical - it isn't a cleaner, just a Water Displacement (version #40!) and mild lubricant. Good for door hinges and some automotive uses. The only electrical thing I'll do with it is for light bulbs that have become stuck in sockets, usually due to moisture-corrosion stickiness...yay Florida! And PB Blaster is supposed to be far better for that...

12. ImBored

ImBored Member

the onespot works with single pedals
    yeah, they all work on their own if i plug just that pedal
    i have two digitals my trinity reverb and the hardwire cr-7
    im currently running 7 pedals
    Guitar-blackout effectors mantra overdrive-musket fuzz-boss ds-2-boss tr-2-boss bf-2-hardwire cr-7-trinity reverb-amp
    for some reason the musket ALWAYS works, and when the musket is plugged in all the pedals work

13. jay42

jay42 Member

Caig makes paint safe contact cleaner. I have a couple cans of flux cleaner and contact cleaner that can screw up powder coated paint jobs pretty well.

14. erksin

erksin Member

You probably have a short in the daisy chain cable.

On a Budget likes this.
  15. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

1. Unplug ALL your pedals
    2. Play into amp.
    3. Plug in a pedal
    GOTO 2

Keep repeating until you get a problem.
    Set that pedal aside and continue on with the rest of your pedals.
    The One Spot puts out 1700mA which should be MORE THAN ENOUGH for 7 pedals.
    You could probably duplicated all your pedals 5 more times and it would still have enough power (but then you might have noise issues).
    And some pedals don't play well with others when power is daisy chained.

Also play with the pedal order.
    Maybe one pedal doesn't like following another one?

16. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

If that is the case, you've ruled out the possibility the in/our jacks are the culprit. They wouldn't magically begin working when you use them individually. My hunch is the One Spot is the issue.

17. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Depends on the pedals. I have one analog pedal that calls for 1000mA(!).

18. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

And you could stick 100 Crybaby GCB-95's after that and still be good (about 4mA each), power wise.
    That would be a hell of a pedalboard!

In general, dirt pedals draw about 20 - 30 mA, or less each.
    Analog modulation pedals 20 - 80 (roughly, it varies).
    Digital is all over the place.
    Most pedal, digital, or analog, draw under 50mA (there are numerous exceptions of course).
    And may also vary a small amount depending on what features are being used.

Have a look here
    http://stinkfoot.se/power-list
    (Although I measured my TC Nova Delay and it drew 180mA, although the power supply was rated at 300mA)

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  19. ImBored

ImBored Member

so basically i have to try connecting each pedal one by one, until the power fails, damnit that is gonna take a while
    i thought so too, since im low on money i was considering buying the MXR dc brick as a cheap alternative

20. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

That's how you "trouble shoot", isolate each factor, one at a time.

You can add one more level to it as well, if you wish...
    When you come across the problem, leave that pedal in and start by removing the other pedals, one at a time. to see if its just a conflict between 2 pedals.
    Trouble shooting can sometimes be time consuming, but cheaper than just throwing money at the problem.

But don't ignore this issue either:
    Something could have gone wrong with the One Spot.
    Thats just another factor to isolate.
    It could still be working, but in a limited capacity.