Problem with switching on a Rivera Chubster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael patrick, Apr 18, 2005.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Hey,

I just snagged a Rivera Chubster off of eBay. The amp showed up today. That's the good news...

The Bad news is that the switching of the boost function for both channels with the footswitch doesn't work. The lights on the footswitch come on, but not the ones on the amp, and the boost function doesn't engage. The boost functions themselves work when I use the pull knobs on the amp, but not when I try to use the footswitch.

The footswitch does work for changing channels.

Has this happened to anyone else? Got any idea what's wrong? If it's an easy fix, I'll keep the amp and try to get some money back from the seller. If it is a pain to fix, I'll just return it...

2. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The usual thing is that the knobs have to be in the correct position to allow the footswitch to work.

That is, channel switching works with the footswitch only if the Channel 1 Volume knob is pushed in. I think the boosts are the same way too.

Every now and again I forget about this and spend a whlie scratching my head wondering if a footswicth has gone bad.

3. michael patrick

Unfortunately it's not that simple. I've tried switching the boosts with the knobs pulled out, and I've tried switching the boosts with the knobs pushed in. No luck...:(

4. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

is there any popping or noise when you switch? might be a bad relay. just for giggles, try swapping the preamp tubes around too.

5. michael patrick

Nope, no noise when hitting the switches. It didn't come with a manual, got any idea which tubes control the boosts?

I also discovered that the reverb doesn't work. The amp was advertised as "MINT MINT..." The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards sending it back. :mad:

6. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

OK the next thing to hope for is a bad footswitch. Any chance you can swap the footswitch?

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Reverb not working might be as simple as the connections fell off during shipping. There should be RCA connectors on the chassis that go to and from the reverb tank.

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah now that the reverb doesn't work then one of the little tubes might be suspect - V4 - the reverb follower. A manual for this amp is online at:

http://www.rivera.com/Rivera/details/pdf/R-SeriesV1.0.pdf

Even if the preamp tubes don't get swapped around it's important to know they are all seated properly in the sockets.

9. michael patrick

I don't know where I'd get another one. I don't know anyone who owns a Rivera amp, and there aren't any Rivera dealers in Madison.

As for the reverb, I checked all of the connections. I can just barely hear a trace of verb when I crank the knob all the way to 10, plus some added buzzing.

I'll check the preamp tubes when I get home tonight. If that doesn't fix it, I'll send it back.

Thanks everyone for your help.... <sigh>

10. planetal

planetal Member

Hi,
    I have a few Rivera's.. On one of mine I had a similiar (but a bit different issue) in that the unit wouldnt switch channels with the footpedal.. Ended up being the foot switch connector on the amp..

In your case with the reverb not working as well, I would send it back and get your money back.. Everything is repairable by a tech, but why would you pay for it?

Al

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Could be that he can get the ebay seller to pay for local repair without having to send it back, thus saving on shipping.

Then there is the chance the ebay seller is going to claim it happened in shipping and then everyone waits for the resolution of claims by UPS or FedEx, etc.

12. planetal

planetal Member

Very good points and in truth the amp could have been damaged during transport. I've been very lucky on ebay in that I've only had an issue on one item and the seller refunded everything including the return shipping.

Al

13. michael patrick

I've traded emails messages with the seller (a music store in Indiana...). He's ordering me a new footswitch, hopefully that'll fix the problem with the boosts. It makes sense that it's the switch, since I can engage both boosts with the pull knobs on the amp...

I'm going to try a new tube in the reverb, hopefully that'll solve that problem.

14. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

I kind of doubt it's the footswitch if one function (channel) works and the other two (both boosts) don't. But it's possible, of course.

If you have a multimeter, you can test the footswitch yourself. Set the meter to read resistance. Looking at the connector, you see 8 pins arranged in a circle with a gap plus a pin in the middle. Start with the pin on the opposite side of the gap - place one lead on it and one lead on the pin immediately to the left. Pressing the Ninja Boost footswitch repeatedly should change the resistance from a short circuit (nearly 0 ohms) to an open circuit (a huge number of ohms) and vice versa. If it does this, it's working fine.

Repeat this using the pin opposite the gap and the pin to its immediate right. This time, the boost switch should affect the resistance reading.

15. michael patrick

I talked to the seller on the phone yesterday. He seems to be a reasonable guy, and he's working to rectify the problems. So even if I have to send it back, he gets props for doing the right thing...

He's sending me a new footswitch. If that fixes the switching problem, then I'll get the reverb fixed locally and he'll reimburse me for the cost. If the new switch doesn't fix the switching problem, then I'll send it back.

walshb likes this.