1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Problem with the bias on a Bassman 100

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mastervolume, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I have a bassman 100 on my bench right now and when I run a bias probe in one of the jacks I am reading 2ma.

I have 460ish on the plates. 320 on the out of the PI. -58 on the balance.

Screen resistors look ok on a meter.

I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If the proper B+ is present at both the plate and screen-grid pins, it must be either a bad tube (although I assume you've checked that already) or a poor contact between one of the socket contacts and the tube - or a bad ground connection from the socket to the chassis. I would check that first, since it's made via the same screw that holds the socket in. If it's corroded or loose it might not pass much current.

I would also check again that the screen resistor is definitely OK - if they're the original carbon-comp ones these can crack and work intermittently... like when you're touching the lead wires with your meter probes :). Best to replace them all with wirewounds for reliability anyway, if it hasn't already been done.

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

The ground connection would be soldered to the chassis. Most likely a bum tube but could also be a bum solder joint on the socket or a crapped out socket. Per John's suggestion double check the screen resistor.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes... you're right, they solder the tags down as well. I was thinking too much of Marshalls ;).

5. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Where on the balance? (input? output?)
    If you've got -58 on the actual output grids they'll be very close to cutoff.