Problems getting signal to mixer's 1/4" line inputs from electronic instruments

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Baminated, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

Okay, Sound Reinforcement peeps: Last night I had a dickens of a time getting a signal to register on the mixer direct from a keyboard & elec drum. Both had 1/4 cables going into the line inputs of the channels on the mixer, rather than XLR's. Today, i found that i had to crank the crap out of the gain to get the 1/4 inch line inputs to register.

TWO QUESTIONS:

Is this because those instruments are not coming in @ line level, and the board wants to see a hotter signal ?

Is it better to get separate DI's, or a snake to get their signals to go XLR to the board ?

2. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

Is this because those instruments are not coming in @ line level, and the board wants to see a hotter signal ?

Yes, you need to DI them. Unless your mixer has Hi-Z inputs then it's not going to like line level inputs much! Especially from a long cable!

If you are running mono signals from each then a separate DI box would give you more flexibility ie control over the volume at your end not at the players end.