Procedure for changing necks on Strat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kwk13, Sep 1, 2006.

1. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

Hi Guys,

I did a search and didn't really find the answer. If I bought a Warmoth neck, built to my specs, is it as easy as just screwing the new neck on the Strat body and your done? I'm assuming nothing's that easy but I'm not sure how/what I would need to check. I've heard of guys putting shims in the neck pocket but how do you know if that needs to be done?

Sorry for the stupid questions but even a Google search only brought up a bunch of CDs I could buy. I'll probably end up buying something like that but I'd like to know sooner than later.

Thanks,

keith

2. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Just install the neck and check the setup of the guitar. The nut will most likely need attention as well as the amount of relief. You may need a fret dress and crowning as well. Shims are used to get a better neck angle for a better setup. You could get real lucky and need no adjustments, but most likely you'll need some or all of the things I've mentioned.

3. lownslow58

lownslow58 Member

Check to make sure your screws are the right length if it's a contoured neck pocket or anything , and I always stick my screws in a bar of soap to lube the threads,and dont run the screws all the way in with a screw gun go slowly with a screwdriver the last 1/2 inch or so. Hope that helps..

4. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

Thanks SO much guys!! I really appreciate the advice. Sorry for the stupid questions but Warmoth will install a nut and frets at the factory. Will that eliminate the need for the "attention to the nut" and fret dressing you mention? I guess I need to buy those DVDs so I know what I am talking about :jo

Thanks Again,

Keith

5. Wayniac

Wayniac Member

The nut may need to be cut or tweaked for your string gauge
    Also - the frets from Warmoth, Musikraft, etc typically aren't finish dressed or crowned
    Also - if buying an unfinished neck, they (Warmoth) do not warranty unfinished or oil finished necks, depending on the wood used for the neck. They have more details of that on their site
    Good luck ! :dude

6. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Also check the string alignment and get the best high E and Low alignment compromise down the neck so you don't have one or the other too close to the edge.