Proco rat 2 1989 noisy

ramonneke76

Hi all,

I love my Rat.
When I set the distortion knob at 11 o clock the noise/hiss really starts to kick in. Is this normal? I saw vids on YouTube where they have set the distortion all the way up without any noise/hiss.

Alchemy Audio

So many factors come in to play - including pedal chain, power, cables, amp and guitar. We'd need more information to hazard a guess. Anyone who plays a Rat with the distortion maxed is the house guitarist for the devil's band (or just completely insane).;)

ramonneke76

So many factors come in to play - including pedal chain, power, cables, amp and guitar. We'd need more information to hazard a guess. Anyone who plays a Rat with the distortion maxed is the house guitarist for the devil's band (or just completely insane).;)

I am playing through a '66 Fender Bandmaster blackface. The Rat is powered with a Trex fueltank. The Rat does make the same noise/hiss even when it's not in my chain so when I use it as a stand alone.

OilsFan

Silver Supporting Member
You can't judge that stuff on a recording an especially on Youtube. Even a loud hiss could be below the recording level on a guitar amp. If someone ran the distortion all the way up on the pedal, someone else probably took the gain on the recording mic down in order not to clip the recording. So you still wouldn't hear a lot of hiss on the recording. You need to judge if the his in your setup is just too loud or not then look for ways to get rid of it. A pronounced hiss in a very quiet room will not even be an issue with a band.

Seegs

Gain is noisy...the more gain a pedal has the more noise you have...my rat is hissy but it is nothing I notice when the band is playing...

I use it before a compressor and it is even noisier when both are on...but it's still not noticeable in band context unless we are in-between songs in which case either the pedal or the volume control on my guitar are off...

You never know what was done to the YT recording so unless you can compare to another Rat in your setup the comparison is not really valid...

andtrea

Hi all,

I love my Rat.
When I set the distortion knob at 11 o clock the noise/hiss really starts to kick in. Is this normal? I saw vids on YouTube where they have set the distortion all the way up without any noise/hiss.
Same problem here, I recently tested my RAT2 with my LP into a '73 Bassman 100.
Same cables and power supply and a bunch of other distortion pedals (Hot Cake, distortron, tube Screamer and... HM-2), the RAT was the only one squealing with the gain from 11 o'clock.
The back cover is not original, do I have to shield it to improve the situation? Using batteries?

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Please, please, please don't wreck a vintage Rat by swapping the LM308! That's where the magic is.

I have a Rat from the same era ('87), and it's no noisier than any other pedals with similar gain. How long have you had it? Has it always been noisy? Does the noise profile change if you swap guitars, or swap cables? What's in front of it in the chain?

If you're running it into a compressor, it's going to get noisier. That's what compressors do - they make small sounds bigger. They're always going to increase noise.

s3gle

If it's not a ground loop, and the pedal is working correctly, I would expect the noise floor to hover right about where the distortion is on the pedal. It could be radio interference, according to sage advice this is caused by having the affected circuit too close to the power supply. You shouldn't need to shield your pedal, as broken internal grounding would cause shorts, not pronounced hiss. Wash the pot out with QD4 if there's static in the sweep generating the noise

just in case it's 60 cycle hz hum so loud as to be comparable to the guitar level, and internal voltage testing proves the pedal isn't broken- I mean at that point you'd probably be thinking sell it but a noisegate like an ISP Decimator or effects loop variants should do it. Not an exciting solution but you would be gaining an extra loop

Trending Topics

Top Bottom