ProCo RAT?!? Where have I been?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DeuceII, Jan 25, 2008.

1. DeuceII

DeuceII Supporting Member

I actually plugged in an old small box RAT at the school I teach at last night, and it completely blew me away. The Filter knob is actually very impressive, as well as the level of gain available (from low to high). I'm gonna recheck it for vintage specs, ie I'm not positive it's one of the ProCo logo version but I think it was. Now I'm GASing for one.

Options? I've got a ZIM and could order the TAR+ card, anyone know if it uses the same opamp chip as the old RATs? Or Keeley modded, or Hartman? Or just track down an old one? My dirt GAS list keeps growing....:jo

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

look for the LM308 chip..... that's what is usually in the Rat AFAIK

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

Correct. :) The LM308 is a significant contributing factor to the sound of a vintage RAT.

4. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I had an early Rat on my board for around 10 years back in the early 90's and it was my main lead tone for years. Now I'm kinda GASing for another one even though my high gain days are over. Damn, I hate this place. Just when you think you are content with your rig, you start thinking about something else. If I do, though, I might just go all out and get a Landgraff M'OD. How big of a difference is it between the M'OD and a good Keely modded Rat or maybe a Brown Rabbit?

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

I've never had the pleasure of playing an original RAT(or later versions),
    and it's posts like this one that make me wonder what I'm waiting for .

Seems the original versions are legendary .

6. fuzzinator

fuzzinator Member

Keeley's Rat 2 mod is stellar - $160 gets you the Rat sound.

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    great, classic pedal. had a large-box/non-LED one on my board for a long time for lead sounds....

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I'm addicted. I bought a freakshow brown rabbit, and now I've got a Moho Mods rat on order. I'm gonna find my ultimate rat, if it kills me. :NUTS:BEER

9. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

The Rat is one of the greatest distortions ever.

If you want searing sustain but not in the form of a fuzz, and like (or can deal with) an 80's "metal" sort of sound, the RAT is in a class by itself. If set properly, absolutely huge sounding and extremely musical.

:D

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I think it's cool because it's so versatile. Here's a guy talking about it for metal, and yet I'm using it for Distortion Tones for Replacements Style rhythm work and For Distorted/Fuzzy Leads for my Alt. Country songs.

:BEER

11. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Obviously the Rat can do higher gain sounds well, but I think a lot of people miss the fact that it also excells in the lower gain realm. Rat is indespensable, no other od/distortion quite like it :BEER

12. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

agreed, it covers a lot of bases. from od to creamy, distortion with nice harmonics.

one of my faves into any clean amp.

13. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

The reissues sound way whack because of the extreme mids Proco added.

14. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I hear ya, I'm a funk fusion americana reggae worldbeat jamband guy! And the RAT fits in just fine. But it definitely has that "raging Marshall" thing happening - which I love. Some people think it's a "metal-ish" sound, which I don't think it has to be, but that is the way many people hear it.

:D

15. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

The Tar+ card is an awesome Rat with more tweak factor thanks to the B channel. Go to the foxrox site. I believe he took the best of the early Rats for this card.

16. erksin

erksin Member

I played a small box glow-in-the-dark graphics model last week and it sounded really good. This is coming from a guy who typically hates Rats, BTW...

17. hacker

hacker Member

I love my Rat 2. I bought it for $25 in 1997. It sounds great with my strat-thick, sustainy and marshall-esque through my fender amps. Best gear purchase I ever made.

It can definitely do metal, but when you turn the filter knob to the right, you get thick, syrupy OD. I leave the distortion knob at about 2 o'clock and can get a variety of hard rock tones.

The best thing about the Rat is that it stacks so well with TS type pedals and my new Barber LTD. We're talking crazy musical harmonic overtones and huge gain with this setup. The only reason i'm typing this instead of playing is that my son is fast asleep.

18. Dave

Dave Member

Yep. At lower distortion settings it cleans up nicely with your guitar's volume control and is surprisingly dynamic. One of the greatest distortion/OD pedals IMO.

19. RickB

RickB Member

I just rediscovered my Keeley mod'd 3-way Vintage Rat. I can't believe I have had it sitting in the box for so long now. Some great tones in there for sure.

20. jryan

jryan Member

My Keeley mod'd 3 way Rat Is my favorite pedal on my board No question!