Producing: Do you turn off your powered speakers and unplug your USB devices after each session?

hawk45

Hi all,

Kind of an odd question but one on my mind. I recently built a home production area (PC, DAW, audio interface, powered monitors, 2 midi devices).
It could be my OCD, but I've been turning off each monitor and unplugging the midi devices, otherwise all the flashing lights stay on, even after the PC goes into sleep mode.

I'm sure it's fine to leave everything on, but I don't want to wear out any of the electronics or LEDs when not in use. It only takes a few seconds to turn everything back on and plug the devices back in, but it's kind of annoying.
What does everyone else do?

John Quinn

I don't want to wear out any of the electronics or LEDs when not in use. It only takes a few seconds to turn everything back on and plug the devices back in, but it's kind of annoying. What does everyone else do?
Everything but the Nearfields stay on 24/7 - computer as well. I reboot the computer every week to clear out things but that's it.

The LEDs and other electronics will not wear out when idling - even when using everything there is very little appreciable wear on the electronics. Unless you have devices that generate a lot of heat - then those devices electronics will wear out.

ripgtr

I turn off the mic (tube mic) and pre when I am not using them. I often turn off the interface (RME UFX) more because the lcd screen is so bright, really. And speakers, which are more often off than on anyway, as I track and do rough mix with headphones and use them for final mixing. Or practicing, with an amp.
Other than that, everything stays on. Electronics probably wear more from the stress of turning on/off, with heat expansion/contraction, than just leaving them on. This was debated with computers for decades, and the general conclusion is to leave them on.

I turn off my tube amps when not using, cause if I leave them on for a long time, this room gets Hot.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
My monitors, modeler/interface and computer are on 24/7/365. Just a restart now and then.

mixwiz

I have a power sequencer in the studio that turns everything off when not in use. In the summer, I uplug the sequencer. I had two friends whose homes were hit by lightning. The houses were okay but lot of electronic stuff got fried. I'm probably overly paranoid but I only have to unplug one thing.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
I went with tiered power strips for all of that depending on current needs.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I have a APF switch power strip that the audio gear connected to. I shut down the powered monitors and UA x8P when not in use. My computer stays on and the monitor goes to sleep as it normally would.

CJReaper

I turn off my monitors (Yamaha HS7) because the lights on them are annoyingly bright when not in use, otherwise I leave everything else on. I too have OCD so I feel your pain.

Trending Topics