Production Stock Speaker Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AstroStrat89, Sep 30, 2008.

1. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

I am trying to stay brand agnostic here, but I am targeting the typical lower to mid end production tube amps that have the "Designed for" or "Special Design" Speaker in them. Typically these are Eminence speakers, and generally Eminence has made a decent rep for themselves recently.

Whats the deal with these speakers? Are they just cheap knock offs? Do they really spend the time designing these speakers to be voiced for the amp?

You seem to hear this a lot ...

"Swap the tubes, swap the speaker and <insert cheaper amp here> is a killer amp that's just a good as <insert high priced amp here>"

I guess my question is why don't the manufactures just put in the better speaker in the 1st place if that's the case. What? we're looking at a $50 price bump to put in a primo speaker?

If the speaker is as special as they advertise it as, then it's not really an "upgrade" it's just a personal taste issue to change them out.

The other issue I have is how do I know what my stock speaker compares to? The web sites of the speaker manufactures have lots of detailed info on their aftermarket stuff. But how do I know how they compare to the stock one? The stock speaker may be voice similarly to what I am looking to "upgrade" to, and how do I know with out spending $ to try it out?

Just seems that the deck is loaded, and its not in the consumer's favor.

2. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

THANK YOU

Come on, you big production guys. Take note! It wouldn't cost THAT much more to pack these amps with really nice speakers.

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

It's simple math. When you buy a boatload of speakers from one of the big speaker makers, you can negotiate a hell of a price. That factors into the profit margin.

Offering upgraded speakers to the level that would provide the same profit margin percentage would typically boost the amp cost more than if the buyer bought them aftermarket and installed them.

4. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

I am just guessing you know more than I just by reading your sig, but I still don't get it. Just buy a boatload of the good speakers at a good cost. If it's really about profit margin then the special design speaker I have would sell for $25-$35 if it was stand alone? Is it really that cheap of a speaker?

Or once again, are the special design speakers really all that bad?

5. nomadh

nomadh Member

It makes sense really. If you are a member here. It doesn't matter what speaker it comes with. It'll be changed out before it gets a chance to break in. If you are not a member here the speaker will stay in the amp no matter what turd it is. So why bother. They just build it with the cheapest speaker that won't frighten the avg buyer away. My amp has the option of a tone tubby over the model 70/80. For 30-$50 more I might go for it but at sale prices the TT is about $100+ more. One dealer I know didn't think it the TT was worth $5 more in tone so he don't carry it. Also the speaker mfg may not want to deal on his premium speaker hoping for a chance to sell an upgrade. Hell its very possible people have bought an unbranded speaker in an amp and bought the upgrade model to put in and it might be the exact same speaker.
    In anything under a $1500 amp its a losing proposition for the mfg.

6. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

Sorry to reply to my own thread but,

I guess the point I am making is this.

I spend $300 on an amp that should get me 80%-85% of the quality of tone I am looking for.

For another $75-$100 I can "upgrade" the speaker and get 90%-93% of the tone quality that I am looking for. So not only do I have to pay full markup on a stand alone speaker, but I've lost the original money in a speaker I'll never use.

It's just ridiculous. I guess the answer is just get a head and speaker separately. But that's still paying more than I should.