Production year of my SG????

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ap1, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ap1

ap1 Member

I'm trying to narrow down the production year of my SG Standard - maybe someone can help. The serial number has 6 digits and no letters, as well as the "Made in USA" imprinted on the back of the headstock. This supposedly puts it between '70 and '75 (1970 was the first year with the USA identification, and the use of only six-digits in the serial number changed in '75). Well, almost:

Apparently, the Kalamazoo plant continued to use the above system on SOME models (don't know which ones, but I think the "higher end" ones) into the late 70's. So your '70 L-5 may well be a '79. I don't believe that an SG Standard would be condidered a "higher end" model, so I can at least probably say that mine was made between '70-'75.

I'd like to narrow it down, though. As far as features that may help out,
    it's got the crown logo in the middle of the headstock, no markings on the truss rod cover, and rectangular fret inlays. The pickguard is on the bottom half, and just comes up in between the pickups. The bridge is NOT a Tune-O-Matic, but I'm pretty sure it's not original - there are round indentations around the bottom of the existing pole pieces suggestive of a Tune-O-Matic seating. I can't remember what this type of bridge is called, and I don't know if/when Gibson started using them; it's the rectangular one, though. Those are about the only other identifying features I can think of.

Thanks in advance for any insight here...

2. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

are you thinking of the harmonica bridge?

it's hard to narrow it down with just that. maple or mahogany neck? are the pots original? any numbers on the back of them?

pictures help too ;-)

3. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

4. ap1

ap1 Member

That's right, a harmonica bridge. Did Gibson start using them at some point?

Mahogany neck, and the pots aren't original.

Good call on the pics; unfortunately, I'm a bit of a Luddite and don't have a digital cam!

BTW, I just realized that I probably should've posted this on Guitars in General.

5. ap1

ap1 Member