• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Products from GC with California Disclaimer: Reproductive Harm and Cancer

satisphied

So I purchased a couple of guitar wall hangers and a TRS cable from GC over the black friday week. I knew they weren't high quality items and were most likely made in China, but they were running some very good deals.

To my dismay I happened to check the back of the packaging and both the TRS cable and wall hangers have the California Prop 65 Disclaimer: This product may contain compounds that cause reproductive harm, birth defects, and cancer.

What the hell!! May?!? This is my first time seeing this disclaimer before, and having had cancer in my teens it scared the **** out of me. I can view it from a couple of different perspectives: I am angry at GC and now truly see them as the Walmart of music gear - not giving a crap about its customers health or well being and shlepping dangerous low quality products from China.

Or

California is unjustly scaring consumers away from some brands or distributors by throwing scary warnings on products, that they may contain some harmful compounds. May?? Shouldn't you be certain of something like that before you throw it on an item's packaging.

Once I have the time I want to call GC and request free return shipping, I doubt I will be able to get over the fact that these simple items may be giving me cancer or causing my unborn children birth defects.

Bogner

California is a cover your ass state...regulations, disclaimers, etc are all part of their political red tape. I wouldn't be alarmed by it because if you have been playing for any time at all then you have already been exposed to this type of thing in various products. At least now you know...

satisphied

California is a cover your ass state...regulations, disclaimers, etc are all part of their political red tape. I wouldn't be alarmed by it because if you have been playing for any time at all then you have already been exposed to this type of thing in various products. At least now you know...

I am aware that everything we come in contact with has flame retardants, plastics, and polymers that cause cancer. Is it safe to assume that these products don't contain anything extra harmful that my system has never been introduced to?

I just don't understand how they can say "may" when it has such huge implications, what the hell!

ELmiguel

I just don't understand how they can say "may" when it has such huge implications, what the hell!
Because there is only one certainty in life:
If you live you will eventually die.

Better get rid of your cell phone and iPad too. And most of what you eat and drink and wear and the car you ride in and the house you live in.

Last edited:

twoheadedboy

To my dismay I happened to check the back of the packaging and both the TRS cable and wall hangers have the California Prop 65 Disclaimer: This product may contain compounds that cause reproductive harm, birth defects, and cancer.
That disclaimer is on a lot of electronic products. For the product to actually increase your risk of cancer, you'd likely to have ingest it somehow, which is very unlikely to occur with most electronics. They just have to print that on the box to cover their butts.

Curban

Having worked in a Saftey equipment supplier when this prop took affect (rubber and poly gloves, aprons the whole deal) I can attest it's mostly a cover your ass approach. There is some possibility it could (as with most things These days it seems) but it's minimal it's put in place to stop law suits and the like. I wouldn't be overly concerned with it to be honest.

Brad8008135

Silver Supporting Member
Reproductive harm is falling crotch-first on a fence post at age 14 (this I know). Cables...not so much, unless I were to pull a Sarzo and start licking them.

Jim Soloway

From the American Cancer Society website explanation:

"About the labels required by Proposition 65
As part of the law, businesses selling products to people in California must provide “clear and reasonable warnings” before knowingly exposing people to any chemical on the list, unless the expected level of exposure would pose no significant cancer risk. This warning is often in the form of a label on the product or its packaging.

The law defines “no significant risk” as a level of exposure that would cause no more than 1 extra case of cancer in 100,000 people over a 70-year lifetime. So a compound can be unlabeled if a person exposed to the substance at the expected level for 70 years is estimated to have a 1 in 100,000 chance or less of getting cancer due to that exposure. The law also has similar strict cutoff levels for birth defects and reproductive harm.

Businesses decide whether to put warning labels on their products based on their knowledge of the types of chemicals in them. Manufacturers are not required to provide the OEHHA with any information about the products. That means the OEHHA doesn’t know which chemical the warning refers to, how exposure could occur, or how much of the chemical a consumer is likely to be exposed to. All of these factors are critical when determining how much risk it might pose. The OEHHA cannot offer information to help consumers figure out what the potential risk is and how to avoid it. These kinds of details can only come from the product’s manufacturer."

Here's a link to the full page. It's very informative, including specific information about why wires and electronic cables are subject to the warning (primarily because of the use of lead in the cover material).

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...ng-labels-based-on-californias-proposition-65

satisphied

Because there is only one certainty in life:
If you live you will eventually die.

Why don't you just come out and say you're just trying to stir up more crap against Guitar Center? You know, like is done here so often.

I am in no way trying to do this, I am sure other retailers carry the same products. I am just shocked to be honest, I have never seen this before.

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
when i moved to LA... we saw a prop 65 sign outside of an apartment building. the wife and i said "hell no, we're not living here."

but then we realized... that sign is on EVERY apartment building in LA.

nothing to worry about.

Tahitijack

California loves warning labels. Gas stations have them and restaurants and bars where adult beverages are sold. State is satisfied they have done their job. This year our government will pass another 1,500 new laws. Wahoo!

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
I have ordered products from Amazon that at first I had considered a competing product but it then carried the California warning....so I opted for the safer product. If given the knowledge and choice of a potential cancer causing product.......I have no problem opting for the safer alternative.

What may be more telling is why don't more states do more to at least provide their citizens with better information?

Bogner

I am aware that everything we come in contact with has flame retardants, plastics, and polymers that cause cancer. Is it safe to assume that these products don't contain anything extra harmful that my system has never been introduced to?

And this the dilemma lol....is it safe to assume? If you live in California and play the same cable...no. If you live in Arizona and play the same cable...yes. That is the irony of regulations and cya laws and disclaimers...lol. I wouldn't be too worried about it in all truth. Far more concerning is GMO food and the chemicals you eat, drink, breath in every day. Play away and have fun. The good thing about life is nobody gets out alive. No need to waste the time given existing when you could be living. :)

therhodeo

Those labels are on almost everything and that has absolutely nothing to do with GC. If they were to not carry any items that don't carry that warning somewhere in their material their stores would be empty. As would most other stores.

cadduc

just to name a couple of agents:
solder
paint
lacquer
plastics
even tape used on transformers and pickups

buddyboy69

Just a few cancerous moles im still going through getting removed, but i have watched a few loved ones die from it. I am sorry if i offended you. It seems everthing has a cancer warning on it these days.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom