Professional musicians show more courtesy

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Neer, May 16, 2011.

1. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

to other musicians, generally. Most of the time, professionals do not publicly put down other players. It's as important as learning your scales (although some think that's not terribly important).

Everyone has players they dislike. Why insult them and those who like them? I've been guilty of this--in fact, once I posted somewhere that I was not crazy about a particular well known player's original music and he emailed the next day. I had to fess up to it and frankly, it took quite a while for those wounds to heal, if they ever have. I make it a habit of trying not to post negatives--it makes me look worse than the person I'm criticizing.

We run in a pretty small circle--you'd be surprised at how some circumstances bring unlikely characters together. It's best not to travel with that kind of baggage.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Member

I think music is a personal thing. If I don't like it then I don't listen to it. And I let others decide for themselves.

If I like it I tell everyone about it so they don't miss out on what I think is a good thing.

It's a no lose situation.

Or as Martin Sheen would say "Win win". :bounce

3. JK47

JK47 Member

Whenever I’m about to do something, I think “would an idiot do that?” and if they would, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

4. les

les Gold Supporting Member

Very important and accurate advice, IMO.

5. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I don't know, maybe it's not cool to be nice....:dunno

It takes all types, I know. Like I said, there's plenty that I don't dig, but I'm not gonna be the one to piss in somebody's else's punchbowl.

When Ken Rosser challenged folks in another thread to post links to their own music, I think it was misconstrued by some as "you're not good enough to criticize," when all he was saying was that folks should open themselves up to public scrutiny, too, to get a taste of it.

6. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

it's amazing how easily opinions slide from "i don't really like his / her music. not for me" to " he sucks. no talent. wannabe." you're saying the same thing basically but man, what a difference it makes how you say it.

7. CHyde

CHyde Member

:agree

8. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

That's simply not true - over the years I have read tons of interviews with famous musicians where they slag other musicians who they dislike.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I agree with the OP. I also believe there is a time and place for thoughtful criticism of a musicians work, but I try to think twice before posting negative stuff.

Btw, I find Pat Metheny's comments on Kenny G. hilarious and 100% respect Pat. He gives a very thoughtful analysis on how he hates dissing other musicians, but Kenny G. is a special case.

10. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I've hung out with top pro's in rock music for years...and I can hardly think of a more cruel, harsh and critical, obnoxious bunch...now, if it's a public article or interview of sorts it's usually tight lips (maybe, maybe not)...but get in private and a few beers/drinks and the slagging/slamming is hard deep and furious..

11. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Aww, that's just the tiger blood talking. ;)

12. Radspin

Radspin Member

I've met plenty of professional musicians who were really nice people, Les Paul being the most well known example. He certainly didn't need to cop an attitude!

13. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

I think the hiccup here is that those aren't the "same thing basically" to a lot of people and it's exceptionally difficult to know up-front if a given community will agree to accept them as the same.

In short, words double-plus ungood. ;)

14. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

I agree with this thread.

15. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I've read tons of interviews, too, and I can tell you it is mostly true. There are some exceptions, though, like I said. I won't name names.

Musicians can be guilty of talking **** with each other in private, but on a more public scale they generally don't. It's a good practice to pick up.

16. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

17. Brooks

Brooks Member

true, i have read tons of slagging (EVH on page, nuge on dime, etc).
    i think the OP might have meant journeyman/working type musicians, who def should choose their words carefully if they are smart.

18. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

No, I meant professional musicians of all levels. There are examples of Rock stars who were a little too full of themselves talking crap, but those are more the exception than the rule. Most Rock stars don't spout that kind of stuff, at least not to interviewers. Actually, the 2 examples you used are perfect--those guys have both said plenty of outrageous stuff and they didn't look too good doing it, either.

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

There aren't many 'stars' left...The guys who are of your caliber are mostly thoughtful, well-spoken, and kind, working musicians. You guys get gigs because you are not critical ass-hats, but superior players.

Neer you're one of my heroes here.

Thoughts like these share the potentials of the best of humanity.

I wish more thought like you.

20. televox

televox Member

Totally agree.
    It's never becoming, even if it's a well respected recording artist doing the slagging, it's poor form and I find it off putting.