Profiling question/issue

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by SkyhighRocks, Jan 31, 2015.

1. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

Updated with video

Tried the Kemper forum first but can't come up with a solution yet...

When any of you guys profile a high gain amp, (forget the mics for a minute)....Just plug your guitar into the kemper input, then direct out of kemper into the amp's input...correct? What happens when you do this? Does the already noisy amp (hiss) get noisier/louder? Does the tone change such as seeming to have more gain and loses bottom end?

I was in the studio all day trying to profile an 800 and ran into sound problems for 4 or 5 hours. We tried everything...different cables, cabs, amps, patch bays, putting the KPA in the same room as the amp, keeping it separated completely by having it in the control room, etc. Tried different outlets, ground loops, etc...we managed to get rid of radio interference but could not get thew sound coming from the amp to sound the same as when the Kemper was not in the signal chain.

I just got home and plugged my DSL100 in and just the direct out to the input. While the hiss from the high gain amp did get louder, I don't think I heard a noticeable difference in tone like at the studio with the other amps. My ears could be fried though from listening all day. I hadn't done a profile since my last kemper a year ago. I don't think I did anything wrong as far as settings go...it's pretty straight forward right?

Any thoughts? I've sent an email to kemper support too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cHAaRseb2U

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I'm against profiling. I think it may even be illegal everywhere except Texas. lol

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

You plug a cord from the Kemper (i think its monitor out) to the input of your amp. Your guitar is not part of the equation.......

5. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

Yes but I'm not having issues when playing the kemper. It's when trying to profile other amps. It's introducing more noise and hiss and altering the sound of the amp that's being profiled. It's not supposed to do that. This is my second kemper so I know how to run it.

6. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

New update: I'm getting an exchange from Musicians Friend. Kemper asked for a backup and so far they haven't figured out the issue. I'm guessing it's hardware.

7. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Hey Richard,
    are you comparing the original amp with the sound you get when the Profiler is still connected to it, or with the actual profile once you acquire it and disconnect the Kemper?

Have you studied the hints about profiling in the wiKPA?
    It might be of help :)

8. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

We can't even profile because the sound we get from the amp changes when the kemper is added to the chain. We don't want to profile a sound we don't like. I've been reading the wiki, the manual, the forums...and I haven't found anything that may be user error. Amp head and cab alone sounds great. Add Kemper to chain to profile and the sound changes and gets noisier...even when on a clean reference profile.