1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prog Fans - What Songs Really Turned You On At An Early Age (Say 9 - 12 Years Old)?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pcutt, Dec 23, 2017.

1. pcutt

pcutt Member

I guess I'm a born prog lover! I've always preferred long non-dance songs over danceable songs, even going back to my childhood. The radios in the late 60s played mainly danceable hits, but the songs I liked best at age 9-12 we're those which, in retrospect, were prog-like. For example,

In the Court of the Crimson King
    In-a-gadda-da-vida
    When the Music's Over
    Classical Gas
    Third Stone From the Sun
    Switched On Bach

How about you?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Timboguitar and BUK like this.
  2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Dream Theater - “Metropolis”

3. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

As a small child, I loved Roundabout the very first time I heard the song blind, on my little transistor radio in bed -- I remember the night. I totally went on a dreamlike musical journey, and then the acoustic at the end was like a Buddhist awareness chime, bringing me back. I remember the whole experience like it was yesterday. I had never heard of the band at all, I was just alone in my room and heard it. I didn't own a single piece of music, and played no instruments yet. No one told me to like it. I just did. That was my very first experience of progressive rock.

I also was exposed to ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition, later, in eighth grade. That was the other milestone. It was music class, and we compared ELP's interpretation with an orchestral version.

It was later I became a deliberate progressive rock fan.

I also remember my childhood music friend Tim Motzer (now a well known Philly guitar player and ambient figure on a million albums, a prog guy in his own right) turning me on to Dark Side of the Moon when it first came out. He said, "make sure you listen to this on headphones, you will be 'blown away'", and I did. Tim was slightly older, so a step ahead of me musically, and he turned me on to a lot of progressive stuff, as well as the concept that music can "blow you away".

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot. My older cousin had Brain Salad Surgery when it first came out, and I remember listening to one of the Carl Palmer things, the Tocatta thing, and thinking it a bit nightmarish. So that doesn't really count, but that was the other early experience. Couldn't wrap myself around it at first, but it definitely caught my attention. Amazing now to think that the general record buying youth was actually buying that as a popular album. BSS was actually hip among the freaking general public for a hot minute. Different times, different culture, different mentality.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  4. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I had Brain Salad Surgery and liked Karn Evil 9 a lot. I had a few Yes albums and would like parts of them, others not so much. Other than those two bands, I didn't' listen to much progressive music at that age.

guitargeek6298 and wahfreak like this.
  5. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

“To Cry You A Song” by Jethro Tull. They’re kinda proggy, right?

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yes, they are.

It was JT who turned me on to prog rock at a young age before it was a whole thing.

IGuitUpIGuitDown, GravityJim and BUK like this.
  7. BUK

BUK Member

In-a-gadda-da-vida I can attest to if that is indeed prog. It had an epic nature (I presumed, I really had no idea what they were singing about) to it in orchestration/instrumentation vs the FIRST epic song I liked Snoopy vs the Red Baron which was more like a folk tale. The odd time signature, weird sounds and non-traditional instruments of songs like Good Vibrations, some of the Revolver era Beatles stuff, and a LOT of the 60 psychedelic stuff, set my ears to the odd or non-standard. Then Donovan with Atlantis and then Hurdy Gurdy Man which was a pretty ominous tune. Some protoZep there in '67. As convention broke with tradition in all forms and technology exploded there really was this apex of science and art. Not to mention Hendrix' science fiction leanings on Electric Ladyland, Merman. The roots of long form prog were being laid pretty early. Many musicians were inspired by these primitive examples and as they got better/more studied they applied it into new forms and we get Yes, ELP and Genesis etc. So I guess the the epic themes are what really attracted me as a 9-12 year old and the music had to be as reflective of that theme to hook me. Epic, heroic first.

Timboguitar likes this.
  8. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Roundabout if that's considered prog. I've always thought of it as a pop song. ;-)

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  9. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

All of Leftoverture and Point Of Know Return

Timboguitar likes this.
  10. DaGlenster

DaGlenster Member

I was 9 in 1966 and 12 in 69 so before or just when Prog started, and no one called anything Prog or progressive until a few years later. But I remember that I like or noticed different music. the first being Rubber Soul that was the 1st album I remember that was different from the pop, folk and boogie down rock that was the usual. I also liked songs that built with dynamics and were longer than the normal 3 minutes.

Songs or bands that I took notice of:
    Black Sabbath I liked their early stuff as it had changes in the song. Their songs went from riff to riff and often changed rhythmically and brought drama to the song.
    Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus what can I say a classic it has everything.
    Alice Cooper - Halo of Flies, multiple changes and parts, builds on the drama
    Humble Pie - I Don't need no Doctor uses dynamics to build up
    Frank Zappa - I'm from LA so they were the hometown freaks, loved them and saw them many times in the early 70's.
    I also saw Yes in 1971 (open for Black Sabbath) and I really liked the music but they were not called a prog band.

The big and lasting Prog experience for me was in 1973 (I was 15) when I first heard Lark Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson. I saw the in October of 1973 and that concert changed me for good. After that show I was and am open to everything musically.

Timboguitar and BUK like this.
  11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Mostly Yeah, yeah, yeah at that age.

12. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Im still pretty lightweight when it comes to real prog rock stuff
    I guess my first in-depth exposure would be getting YES Fragile album, after hearing Roundabout on the radio-.

Other examples would be similar depth ( from initial radio exposure) into Jethro Tull,( Benefit, Thick as A Brick, Passion Play) Kansas...

Alan Parsons I Robot was a big album in late '7O's college, if that counts!

13. Laurence

Laurence Supporting Member

Freaky, we have a lot in common. Rock on, brother.

BUK and DaGlenster like this.
  14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I liked Telstar when it was popular and I was about that age.
    I was already a bit older when the more epic psychedelic and true prog stuff hit but King Crimson and early Yes certainly made a mark.

BUK likes this.
  15. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

For me the first ones were Yes, King Crimson, early Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Floyd and Rush as well as fusion which was 'prog friendly' like Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, the Dregs and all of Holdsworth (so that includes UK, Gong, Soft Machine etc as I tracked what he did down).

I also felt that, for example, early Rainbow wasn't so far removed from prog and I definitely heard songs like Gates of Babylon early on and found them epic and proggy.

I of course went on to look for much more music as time went on but these are the first ones which come to mind.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  16. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

17. porcytree

porcytree Member

Didn't really get into "prog" as such until I was at college ( so age 16/17 ) but I really liked Turn It On Again by Genesis when that came out ( I bought the single , I was about 13/14 years old ) and I have a vague memory of part of the Duke Tour being on the TV around Christmas time and I quite enjoyed watching that. I remember being struck by the Behind The Lines / Duchess segment ( which I guess is one of the "progier" bits on that album ).

I never really gave them much thought until my college years when a mate of mine leant me Seconds Out & Three Sides Live ( those 2 records are still among my favourite live albums ).

18. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

The composer and concert pianist Percy Grainger said that dance music was the lowest form of music.
    Back in the 40s he was creating his own 'free music machines'. The music that he created on them resulted in something that sounded like Pink Floyd!

deeohgee and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  19. chill

chill Member

For me it wasn't a song but two specific albums. I was bringing in Kiss and Judas Priest songs to my guitar teacher when one day he handed me a cassette tape. Inner Mounting Flame on one side, Birds of Prey on the other. I had no idea what was going on but constantly listened to it over and over.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  20. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I remember that my parents and my best best friend’s parents listened to classical music, which we considered old people’s music. We liked the Beatles and whatever rock we could hear. Then, one evening, my best friend played Rush’s La Villa Stengiato off Hemispheres, which his big brother had just purchased. It was magical — our music, but arranged like our parents’ music. I’ll never forget.