Prog Fans - What Songs Really Turned You On At An Early Age (Say 9 - 12 Years Old)?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pcutt, Dec 23, 2017.

1. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

LOL, I was listening to Harry Belafonte and Kenny Rogers when I was 10, because that's what my parents listened to in the car. Also, the Star Wars sound track (on 8 track, of course). Cindi Lauper's "She's So Unusual" was the first album I ever bought with my own money, and that came out when I was 10. I suppose it took a while for me to get into prog, I definitely wasn't into it when I was that young. My teenage years were almost all metal, with bits of classic rock which included Rush and Genesis so I suppose that was my gateway.

2. stahlhart

stahlhart Supporting Member

Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" and King Crimson's "In The Court of the Crimson King" are the earliest I remember.

AaeCee likes this.
  3. adolan

adolan Member

I'd say YES, Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Moody Blues, would come to mind first at that age, as a younger child i grew up in Ireland and heard/saw/was dragged to a lot of trad musics and Folk and Jazz which is quite intricate and intense so i guess i was primed for it via that :)

4. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

Time by the Chambers Brothers and Perry-Kingsley " The In Sound From Way Out".

5. MrX

MrX Member

I was around 10 years old, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I was over my friends house and his older brother played two albums which got me hooked on prog for life: 1) Pink Floyd-Meddle and 2) Yes-Fragile.

BUK likes this.
  6. NashSG

NashSG Member

I was a kid at those ages in the early to mid 80s, so I was a listener as you had the second coming prog stuff having their pop day etc. Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Asia all were still around in the early video years and had radio hits. Later bands like Rush and The Police definitely nodded to the early 70s stuff in some fashion. Older Yes records were still pretty popular and crossover with fans of Led Zep, The Who and Sabbath. Then there was Floyd, while they were coming apart those records/tapes whatever were still huge when I was in high school etc.

Band like Maiden definitely liked to do the extended song form and other metal bands emulated that part of their style if not the dual leads etc.

Alot of old hard rock loved to do the big synthy intro into a tune, even if not progressive rock. There are some "floyd not floyd" type music all over hard rock from the 70s and 80s that was always big on the radio.

7. 8len8

8len8 Member

By-Tor and the Snow Dog off Rush’s ATWAS.

BUK and NorCal_Val like this.
  8. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

Aqualung was the first piece of music I ever bought, followed by Benefit. I never really knew that they were considered prog until much later in my musical journey, but My God and Sossity were two of my favorites growing up.

I didn't get into other prog until my teens when I discovered Dream Theater, which then lead to my going back and discovering Yes, Genesis, etc.

9. CrankyDutchman

CrankyDutchman Member

Beach Boys was pretty progressive from the 'Pop' music of the early 60s (when I turned double digits old). Prog Rock came later that decade but I don't recall calling it that at the time Genesis/Kansas/ELP (The Nice). A new vital sound after the Beatles left the stage.

BUK likes this.
  10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Hmmm..., wasn’t listening to prog yet, at 10. I was 15 when I discovered Rush, King Crimson, U.K., Yes, ELP, right when I started playing guitar.

11. BriSol

BriSol Member

When I was 9-12 years old, it was the middle of the 90's and my musical consciousness was just barely beginning. I hadn't heard prog rock yet, at least knowingly, until a few years later. I mostly liked some of the 90's alt-rock from the radio at the time and a little bit of classic rock and metal.

Flash forward to about 14-16, I was a young drummer with a drum teacher with a big record collection who would send me home with burned mix discs of music at the end of every lesson. That's when I first heard Yes, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, UK, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and others.

Defining moments for me were: Mahavishnu's "Inner Mounting Flame", the entire "Fragile" and "Close To The Edge" albums from Yes, Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage" and "Shiek Yerbouti" albums, and UK's "In The Dead of Night".

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  12. b_goatman

b_goatman Supporting Member

I was 9 in 1967...so I guess The Moody Blues were the first for me. I didn't discover Yes, ELP, and Tull until 1972 or so, as my head was stuck in Sabbath, Zeppelin, and The Beatles.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  13. Timboguitar

Timboguitar Member

Epitaph-King Crimson. I remember my Mom saying, "That's depressing!" But what would you expect? As a child, we were watching underground nuclear test detonations every day between Mickey Mouse and Leave it to Beaver. One o'clock air raid sirens every day. For years! Cold War at its peak. This took its toll on an entire generation. Incredible album. Next was I've Seen All Good People. Then We Have Heaven-South Side of the Sky. Incredible music...

14. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

When I was 12, in 1967 there was an extremely good progressive band . They were so good that there was no competition or other progressives, just bands modeling themselves after them. As I remember, they called them The Beatles.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  15. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Yes - 90125
    Rush - 2112, Moving Pictures

16. Chappie

Chappie Member

17. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

Genesis - The Musical Box, Return of the Giant Hogweed, and Watcher of the Skies, at 13 y.o I was like WTF!! Hooked ever since. I love YES and ELP, but Genesis Foxtrot and Nursery Crime sent me off on a life long search for more off the beaten trail Prog. Early Spock's Beard has a lot of the qualities of the music I love. Also a more obscure British band IQ. the early stuff has them trying very hard to be Peter Gabriel Genesis.

BUK likes this.
  18. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Lucky Man in 1970. We had just landed on the moon and the synthesizer was the instrument of the future.
    Bought the single then the album and every ELP LP up until Works vol 1.
    ELP got me into King Crimson too in 1970.
    Yes' Close to the Edge was the album that I played to death. You know those automatic record players that would replay the album over and over. Drove mom nuts.

madmarcus1960 likes this.
  19. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Supporting Member

At that age..Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds.' Mind blown.

A bit later: Rush "Hemispheres'; Tull "Broadsword and the Beast"; Crimson "Three of a Perfect Pair"; Yes "90125".

Later still: King's X "Out of the Silent Planet".

20. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

It started with the sound track from Grease and Village People when I was real young(9-10), lol. Around 12, I got Meatloaf Bat out of Hell, AC/DC Back in Black and Dirty Deeds, Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul for Rock n Roll which was the greatest hits album, and lastly Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of Madman. It is no wonder I ended up playing guitar.