1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prog Fans - What Songs Really Turned You On At An Early Age (Say 9 - 12 Years Old)?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pcutt, Dec 23, 2017.

1. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

I was between 7 and 8 years old when I first heard Mahavishnu Orchestra "Dance of Maya" and Focus "Hocus Pocus". I was intrigued and couldn't stop listening. "Music for advanced children."

2. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

When I was 11 or 12 my big brother brought home Moving Pictures and those first notes of Tom Sawyer pretty much changed my life. Not too long after that I found BOC, Revolution by Night at the school library and gave that a few good listens - and no one else was listening to BOC so I felt pretty cool. Then there was Saxon Crusader, I'd call at least that song prog (ish) maybe...

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  3. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

"Roundabout wasn't that prog?"
    Maybe the radio edit.
    Have you ever learned how to play the song on your own guitar(s)?
    (baffled)

The studio acoustic ending is today even skipped by Howe when performing it live.
    It's that challenging.

4. wetordry

wetordry Member

Probably something like Roundabout or Crosseyed Mary but I enjoyed the entire album experience more than singling out songs.

5. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

Sheesh, I liked Ode to Billie Joe, Sugar Sugar, Classical Gas, ABC 123 speaking of which, is there a more perfect Pop song? I think not.

6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I didn't get into listening to music until high school. We had a Sunday night progressive rock radio show called "Stone Trek" with Greg Stone on 92.3 KSJO radio in northern California. My friends turned me on to this show and I listened to it on Sunday nights and know most of the progressive rock songs that everyone on this thread talks about and more deep cuts. You won't find any kind of satellite or programmed radio stations playing this type of music any more. I miss DJs programming music that doesn't belong to any radio station formats and absolutely hate what has happened with Clear Channel Communications and other corporations buying out radio stations, taking away DJ programmed formats. My favorite band progressive rock band is Marillion and the song that I liked from them is called "Kay Lee".

Guitar George

7. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

Court of the Crimson King
    21st Century Schizoid Man
    No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed

Those came out in my 9-12 yr old timeframe. The Yes Album did too, and would be on the list if I had heard it then. It was a couple years later when that blew my shorts off.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  8. Antmax

Antmax Member

Don't know if Iron Maidens Rime Of The Ancient Mariner counts?

Bryan T likes this.
  9. gennation

gennation Member

One great moment where prog (fusion maybe) crept into pop music was the bridge to Living For The City by Stevie Wonder...brilliant flow.

BUK likes this.
  10. iGouger

iGouger Member

to this day... the first side of 2112

EDIT: yep, just gave it a listen... still as powerful today as it was 35 years ago when I first heard it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  11. greeny

greeny Member

All four long tracks on The Yes Album
    Awaken
    Suppers Ready
    Xanadu

There are others but these I’ve loved since I first got into music in the Mid 70s as a 10 year old and I still love them today.

BUK and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Tons of 'em... But Anonymous II by Focus was a big one.

13. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Lonnie Donegan made me aware of folk and blues music in the form of skiffle, and this has remained my main interest.

14. wombat66

wombat66 Member

I was way into The Nice when I was a teen.
    "America" got a lot of airplay on local underground radio circa 1968

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I was 12 in 1967, so certainly The Beatles. :) Others included Traffic's Mr Fantasy, The Doors entire first album, early Jethro Tull, and finally a cult favorite, songs from Lothar and the Hand People with their prolific use of the theremin.

But the real breakout group in that realm for me was Mahavishnu Orchestra, although they came a few years later. Musically life changing nonetheless.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  16. Gibson62

Gibson62 Member

When I was a kid I lived in Montreal,Progressive Music was very popular in Quebec.
    I remember hearing Camel's SnowGoose album played in the restaurant at a ski resort in the Quebec Laurentian's.

In the Court of Crimson King,Nights in White Satin when it was rereleased in '72, And You And I...those tunes turned me into a lifelong Prog/Mellotron fan.
    The Battle Of Epping Forest.

17. TomDev

TomDev Member

My older sister gave me 'Close to the Edge' at 12yo. Life changer. Not long after, I received 'Birds of Fire' from her boyfriend, who was a great player himself.

18. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

For me it was mostly ELP. My folks had a pretty good collection of LPs and at 6 years old I was allowed to put on anything I wanted as long as I was careful with the records and only touched the edges and the middle. I particularly like Brain Salad Surgery, partially because of the really cool and creepy Giger artwork on the cover, but also because the music was so crazy. The only other prog I remember listening to a lot (if it can be considered such) is Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII.

19. quinnster

quinnster Member

Roundabout
    Aqualung
    21st century schizoid man
    lucky man
    zombie woof

20. Triton76

Triton76 Member

Karn Evil 9 then Tom Sawyer & Abacab live