Programmable loop switcher comparison

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by g17rtf2, Mar 4, 2016.

1. jimbobaby

jimbobaby Member

cool chart, this will no doubt be really helpful for everyone in the market for one of these units. one thing though, on your chart the rjm pbc is shown as having adjustable patch volume, while the gigrig g2 isn't. i'm pretty sure it's the other way round.

2. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

Bookmarking because i'm exactly at this moment when i will need to choose one

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

4. jimi23

jimi23 Member

I`ve got one on the way from Prymaxe. Will confirm soon.
    I bought it needing it to send multiple PC messages per patch, so im fairly certian this is the case. Page 10 of the manual states the patch config has: Patch MIDI 1-8, each with their own channel, PC or CC messages

g17rtf2 likes this.
  5. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

I remember seeing a video recently of a demo/gear review/something like that and they highlighted the loop switcher being used as well. I remember one of the "key" points I picked up was that it was THE smallest programmable loop switcher out...for the life of me I can't find the video!! Any ideas? I was thinking it was maybe a gig rig/ that pedalshow vid but I haven't had luck.

Would appreciate any info, haha...this chart would only be better with pictures. With that said, this is hitting me in the right spot now as well as I'm JUST to the point of moving towards a loop switcher.

6. g17rtf2

g17rtf2 Member

8len8 is correct new firmware for Musicomlabs EFX MKIV has 50 banks of 5 presets +1 global for 251 total presets. Will update chart

7. g17rtf2

g17rtf2 Member

Cool, sounds like you are correct. Will update if you can confirm for sure. Thanks for the feedback

8. g17rtf2

g17rtf2 Member

As a head's up I advise anyone to stay away from Buzz Electronics loopers (based in the UK). I was debating even bringing it up, but I had a terrible experience and would like to save anyone else the same headache. I was attracted to the affordable price and customization options but over the course of sending it back for repair to the UK and getting it back and it still not working, even though I got my purchase amount refunded by Paypal, I was still out $120 bucks in shipping fees not to mention my time and aggravation. It put my pedalboard project on hold for 6 months.
    • Board was wired incorrectly with the amp out and EFX send reversed from the documentation
    • Excessive ground loops from non isolated jacks
    • Poor build quality
    • Poor Documentation
    • When I got the board back the second time with upgraded jacks the EFX loop section was making a theremin like sound :FM.
    I'm not one to throw people / companies under the bus, and I know some people have had good experiences with them, just keep in mind if something goes wrong it is $60 to ship a pedal back to the UK, and in my experience it could end up being a waste in the end.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  9. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

It makes sense to get the ES-8.

10. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

Can't believe how few have usb. Would make programming so simple with an editor. smh

Drewthemusical and g17rtf2 like this.
  11. jimbobaby

jimbobaby Member

That, along with the lcd display and huge MIDI functionality was what tipped the balance toward the RJM PBC for me. I still sometimes lay awake at night pondering what things would have been like with moveable loop order, but I really love my PBC

g17rtf2 likes this.
  12. MarcosDeker

MarcosDeker Member

Amazing job, congrats.

Seems that MusicomLab wins in the low prices range.

13. g17rtf2

g17rtf2 Member

I have been delighted with my EFX Lite 62M. I figured out you can send up to 8 CC's per preset, but they are global, so you can have a total of 8 different CC message to choose from that you can add to any preset. You have to change the default number of pages in IA mode to 4 and then activate which ever of the 8 global CC's you have programmed that you want to use.
    For the $$ / size / features, This thing is amazing. Sound quality is amazing and the buffer is really good. I found that I had to use the buffer because when using my amp's high gain, there was some feedback loop probably from having a loop in front of the amp and in the effects loop. Using the buffer completely fixed that.

14. g17rtf2

g17rtf2 Member

I agree. I would think someone would add bluetooth so you can edit via an app on your mobile. I took me an hour to name all my presets last night (only 12 so far).
    It was like dialing korea on a rotary phone x10

15. natethegreat12

natethegreat12 Member

It's a shame you haven't added Cusack Effects Pedalboard Tamer 6/9. Simple user interface. Fully mechanical looper. 6 or 9 presets/loops per model. Optional buffered I/O. Optional TRS amp channel control. 3+ tap tempo rca outputs with dedicated Tap Tempo foot switch. Built with love in MICHIGAN USA

16. tonchy

tonchy Member

Great topic and reading.

I'd like to ask, if there are other units that have the ability of changing efx order?
    Till now I was highly interested in G2, but...
    I got a reply from Gigrig: "Unfortunately we can currently only move a single mono loop (loops 1-8) per normal preset."

I guess with 9 pedals + tuner on my board the only choice from the list is ES8.

17. Lpmusicservices

Lpmusicservices Member

I think the American Loopers switchers are a great solution for people who don't want to spend a bulk of time programming. Would be cool to have the 8 channel on the list for comparison with the other offerings.

yawiney and JPIndustrie like this.
  18. the tourist

the tourist Member

Question:

Are there any programmable loopers which allow you to program patches on a computer? I've got the Disaster Area DPC-5 and it feels like it takes forever to program patches since I don't program them all that often and wind up having to watch videos on how to program it every time. It would be nice to be able to plug the thing into the computer, click on "Preset 1" and select/deselect loops for pedals in loops. It would be a bonus if in MIDI you simply had a drop down of devices and could select presets that you have already programmed for on the device device and didn't have to remember the different MIDI command numbers in manuals for things (e.g. Timeline Presets 1-200, BigSky Preset 1-300, Mobius Preset 1-200, etc. with bypass/engage selectable as well). Does that make sense? Just something with visuals on a computer that makes it straightforward instead of menu diving on some of the units or literally just having to remember what different LED colors or different blinking patters mean.

Is there anything like that or is that just a pipedream? Honestly seems like someone should have something like this and if no one does, I'm pretty surprised.

19. yawiney

yawiney Member

I made a chart like that for myself and ended up getting an American loopers 8 channel midi with many custom options. Getting an 11 channel from them for my big board when i can. Couldn't be happier with that choice. Maurice told me he is working on a thinner version now too.

Lpmusicservices likes this.
  20. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

I can definitely vouch for the American Loopers 5CH programmable. So easy to use its almost ridiculous, built like a tank, soft touch switching, 5 presets, switch between program and normal modes, perfect size, etc!

Very happy with mine :)

yawiney and Lpmusicservices like this.