Programmable loop switcher comparison

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by g17rtf2, Mar 4, 2016.

1. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Yes! RJM Mastermind PBC and other RJM Masterminds are programmable from your computer.

I just purchased an RJM Mastermind GT10 to control my DPC-5 and DPC-8EZ (which I use together). Haven't posted much about that here as the RJM is really deep and I don't have much experience with it yet. But I'll share some of my experience for those who may be interested. And I want to gush a little bit :p.

First off, I found the DPCs pretty easy to learn. Very easy to use with big box Strymons in particular. I found the learning curve is steeper on the RJM for bypassing the big Strymons...there are several ways to do it. The RJM has a lot of power and options in general, so you have to be prepared for that. However, RJM customer service is excellent and once I got started working from the computer editor, I was rolling smoothly. Many functions on the RJMs are pretty easy to understand and intuitive. Many things you can do just from the Mastermind, but the computer editor is really where it's at.

You can use the RJM to control just the DPC-5, with loops and MIDI settings stored per DPC preset, or you can also have the RJM control the DPC-5 and MIDI separately (with DPC presets set to 'MIDI don't care'). In either case the RJM calls up program numbers to control the DPC-5. So Red Folder, Red Bank right most switch is program 1. One to the left is program 2, and so on. It will call up the analog loop combination and accompanying MIDI settings when you send a patch change. You do have to write down which program on the DPC-5 does what before you program. You know that your 'heavy overdrive' is program 1? Create a RJM preset that sends program 1 to the DPC. This is the hard part. Here's where the time saving comes in: all the RJM presets have actual names, you can literally call your preset 'Heavy Overdrive.' You will be able to see this in the RJM computer editor, on a PBC screen when the preset is selected, and on the button that activates it on the GT (button over every screen!). You can then make dummy/template copies of that preset and work from there. So you as long as you know 'Heavy Overdrive' is a certain sound, you don't have to remember the actual DPC program number from that point on.

The same goes for Strymons or other MIDI devices, should you choose to program them according to RJM preset and not just DPC preset. You will likely need a chart of what each preset is, or at least some Preset Librarian screenshots. But with each RJM preset, you select the Strymon preset number you want for a particular device. You do not need to know MIDI CCs, and you can save time by creating dummy/template presets if you want to use a Strymon preset for more than one RJM preset.

Other time saving things include song and setlist reorganization. Very easy on the RJMs. My issue with the DPCs was that anytime you want to rearrange presets, it can be lot of work. You were playing a song 1st in the set last week, now you're playing it 3rd, that's a lot of work. This only takes a few seconds.

The downside to the RJM stuff is that it's expensive. An LCD screen over every button doesn't come cheap. It's worth it to me to not have to remember what I stored where though, and to have easy setlist, song, and preset reorganization. I think I'm in love.

the tourist likes this.
  2. the tourist

the tourist Member

That GT10 looks incredible. I only wish it had the LCDs and programmable true bypass looper capability. Beggars can't be choosers though. LOL! Something to save for and look into in a few months for sure. Thanks for pointing it out!

3. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. What you're proposing would be killer for an all-in-one solution.

I am cool with the modular approach since 2 DPCs on the board was the smallest way to get that many loops/pedals on a board. And then I can add the screens without losing any pedals.

4. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Musicomlab EFX MKIV and 62M both now have PC Editors that MASSIVELY speed up the editing process.

the tourist likes this.
  5. PierreL

PierreL Member

Great work !
    The G-Lab GSC units are missing though.

ItsaRat! likes this.
  6. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

MKIV is discontinued. They're working on the MKV. Their Facebook page says it'll be released in Oct. Switchable loop order.

7. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Yeah really looks like the ES8 has had a big impact, the MK5 definitely has a couple of nods to the ES8.

For me though there is nothing the MKV offers that would get me to move from the MKIV, the longer form factor is worse for my board, and changeable loop order really doesn't make much odds to me - only pedal I need an order change on is Mobius and I've already got that with Pre/Post. In fact if anything I had been contemplating downsizing my MKIV to the 62M - but I'd lose the dedicated bank switches and what i'd gain in size i'd lose back in a bank footswitch!

8. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

would me nice to add the moen gec8, live, 8jr and 9 to the list
    and mark those looper that are able to use presets and adding loops on the fly at the same time.

9. rock15478

rock15478 Member

Why does the Joyo PXL Live only say 23 total patches? 8x4 = 32 right?

10. 8len8

8len8 Member

Where does it say 23? The manual shows 8 banks of 4 patches, and that's what I have access to on mine.

11. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

I think the Switchblade 8F is the smallest.

12. rock15478

rock15478 Member

On the spreadsheet, he only has 23 presets listed. I have 32 as well - that's why I was asking the question...

Just curious but how are you liking your Joyo PXL Live? I've been using mine for a few months but can't help but wonder if I'd be better off with the Musichom Lab 62M. I've been noticing some popping when switching channels lately.

13. bastian

bastian Member

I think its obvious that 23 is just a case of transposed digits, he meant to type 32

14. 8len8

8len8 Member

Mine pops too. Someone recommended I make an "all on" patch and an "all off" patch, then switch a few times between them when I turn the unit on. That gets rid of the popping sometimes. It's just a cheap unit with poor quality control. It's the only one with the features and size that I need so I'm stuck with it :).

15. rock15478

rock15478 Member

Ahh, duh. Not very obvious to some of us I guess - I wasn't really thinking of that. Thanks!

16. Salivan

Salivan Member

To the OP.

I'm no expert in these controllers but, according to your table, the PBC has 128 banks, 5 presets per bank, 640 presets.

But, AFAIK, it has the ability to store 1008 songs (banks), 768 presets and up to 16 presets per bank. I might be wrong though, but I read this somewhere.

It comes stock to have 5 presets per bank, but you can use the software to make it able to push up to 16 presets per bank, again AFAIK.

Just trying to hep out. :)

17. rock15478

rock15478 Member

Just curious but is the Musichom Lab not an option? Do you need all 8 loops? I think I could get by with 6 and have much better quality for only $130 more...

18. 8len8

8len8 Member

Too deep.

19. blobe

blobe Member

so the es5 is actually bigger than the es8, would never have thought of this

20. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

no the ES-5 is much smaller than es-8. it is just 3mm huigher than es-8, but in all other parameters it is smaller.