"Progressive" Blues bands/guitarists

Doomrider78

I think a lot of people are missing the OP's point here....putting Frissel, Oz Noy and Scofield etc etc out there - who sure have done things with the blues idiom which are "progressive" although within the very well worn rut of the 70's blues rock idiom (and I love that as much as the next guy) ...it's more really about taking the blues idiom and doing somethign else with it other than louder and more jazz notes...using it as a springboard form I suppose and not just as an existing framework of established mprovasational idioms...
B.I.N.G.O

bdonnelly

Supporting Member
Chris Whitley is a good one though from an earlier era, who was definitely mining the blues and filtered that through a lot of early 90's pop aesthetics in a very unique way...

wye

Very underrated in the us in Germany and France quite big
Beat Circus quite different songs and feels
Miccachu
Tricky

Last edited:

wye

„it's more really about taking the blues idiom and doing somethign else with it other than louder and more jazz notes...using it as a springboard form I“

Sorry, you seem not familiar with Bill Frisells work...listen to Ambitious Lovers, Hank Roberts, Arto Lindsay, Petra Haden, Elvis Costello and even Earth....it does not get better to give blues a cool, modern and sometimes futuristic touch
Listen to his earlier stuff

Steadfastly

I think you need to be more specific about what you mean by progressive or the thread really doesn't mean anything because every post will have a different slant. If that's what you want, then you needed to be specific about what everyone's view of progressive blues is.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Rick Holmstrom's "Hydraulic Groove" disc is a singular experiment that fits the bill, IMO.
It's 30 years old at this point but "Mental Floss For The Globe" by The Urban Dance Squad is one of the enduring rap/rock/blues/soul experiments that hold up nicely.
When it comes to doing something "progressive" with the blues form, finding something that really steps outside the "lines" is fairly rare, usually unappreciated by genre purists, and still obscure enough to slip under the radar of mainstream rock and pop fans.
The experiments that really seem to have some magic don't come often.
I'll also "second" the mention of Big Sugar.

bdonnelly

Supporting Member
„it's more really about taking the blues idiom and doing somethign else with it other than louder and more jazz notes...using it as a springboard form I“

Sorry, you seem not familiar with Bill Frisells work...listen to Ambitious Lovers, Hank Roberts, Arto Lindsay, Petra Haden, Elvis Costello and even Earth....it does not get better to give blues a cool, modern and sometimes futuristic touch
Listen to his earlier stuff
Thanks, but I'm very familiar with Frissels work. Frissel doesn't match what the OP was trying to describe, and he even agreed with my clarification of his original point.

wye

Thanks, but I'm very familiar with Frissels work. Frissel doesn't match what the OP was trying to describe, and he even agreed with my clarification of his original point.
You are not, even if someone agrees, please listen again, you could say this to a certain degree about Oz Noy and John Scofield and even the Black Sabbath sounding Stoner and Sludge Bands posted in this thread, but absolutely not about Bill Frisell and Hank Roberts earlier works....

DIN of Ecstasy of Whitley is pop? It is grunge....

Trending Topics