• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Progressive Pop Rock record..Steve Morse...

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I just did a search and didn't see any references to this record. The group is called Flying Colors featuring Steve Morse, Mike Portnoy, Dave LaRue. Neil Morse......

Progressive, Pop / Rock fusion, lol...it's interesting. I like it, I'm just not sure how much I like it yet. It's definitely going to be an album that grows on me with additional listens. It's cool, I just wasn't sure it was worth buying. I did and so far no regrets. Anyone else?

http://youtu.be/BsYw_nGwlOM

http://flyingcolorsmusic.com/

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Bad marketing for my thread title or perhaps indicative that a new record / band with Steve Morse in the group isn't as attention grabbing as I thought.

Sal

There already is a recent thread on this, try and search again. I like the album a lot, I hear a heavy Neal Morse influence in the songwriting.

Valtyr

I like the album. I hope they can put together a few live performances and maybe film a dvd.

oxtone

Looking forward to hearing the CD! It's already on Spotify - sounds great!

Having seen The Dregs and the Steve Morse Band, I'm very interested. Have also met Steve Morse a bunch of times, and he was a really nice guy.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
There already is a recent thread on this, try and search again. I like the album a lot, I hear a heavy Neal Morse influence in the songwriting.
Weird, I originally did a search for "Flying Colors" and found no results. I just tried the same thing again now and unless I'm just missing it, not seeing anything BUT when I just searched for "Steve Morse" I instantly found a thread titled "Mike Portnoy - Flying Colors". Strange. I guess some others here missed that one as well.

germanicus

If you dig Flying Colors, you want to try out some other pop/modern prog, like the swedish band Karmakanic. They are fantastic, very melodic. Some of the best prog of the past 30 years imo.

They are playing RosFest in Pennsylvania in early May.

Crazy Accordian solo in this one:

Nice Keyboards from former Yngwie keyboard player in this one:

jamess

Gold Supporting Member
Been listening to this CD over the weekend and had to come back to post.

What outstanding musicianship and recording! This is the best CD I've purchased in awhile.

I highly recommend it for anyone who's even slightly into prog rock. I sensed a little Yes, Styx, Collective Soul, Gentle Giant, and good old metal rock all mixed into one sweet set of tunes.

shoe

I had low expectations for this record but man has it surprised me! I'm loving this disc! For the prog experts out there, would Transatlantic be another group worth checking out (also features Portnoy and Neal Morse)?

BCnSTL

Silver Supporting Member
To me this record sounds like a collection of songs-written-and-recorded-in-a-day (which they were). I think it would've been better if they could have taken some more time to let the ideas incubate.

Also, I think it sounds terrible.

I love all the less-overtly-Xian stuff Neal Morse has done over the years, and Portnoy is great as always. Larue kills. I can't really warm up to the singer and while Morse has all the tools of a superlative player - I keep wincing when I hear his "nervous vibrato". I can't help it.

I had super high-hopes for this disc. oh well.

Trending Topics