"Project Les Paul?"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Steve Gambrell, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

I'm looking for a LP, with no electronics or hardware. A body, and a neck. Preferably, routed for P-90's.

Where's a couple of good places to look?

Thanks!

2. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

3. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Stratosphere. They have a ton of them.

FlyingVBlues, C-4, cam.man67 and 5 others like this.
  5. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

I was just on Stratosphere's website looking at necks. The way these are priced I bet they buy the guitars from Gibson, Fender, etc. take them apart and sell off the parts.

But yeah....they have a bunch in several colors. For someone looking to add their own pickups and electronics this may be the route to go.

6. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

This. I've bought a couple from them and they've been great.

7. B Money

B Money Member

8. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Not a problem, on gluing the neck. I've got a friend who's a luthier, and he'd be glad to glue it. But that guitar's in Hawaii, and it looks like a kit. The price is right, though. I think I'l get in touch with the guy. Thanks!

9. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

That's exactly what Gibney does. Buys nice guitars, and strips 'em down. We had a little problem, a few years ago, and I won't do business with him. But he's now one of the highest sellers on ebay, so he must be doing things right, now.
    Thanks, though.
    I wonder if that kit for sale in Hawaii comes from guitarfetish?

10. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Yep, that's what they do. Buy new guitars, strip them, and part them out. If you want a new body and/or neck already finished, and the name on the headstock without being a copy, that's the way to go imo.
    However, if you don't care about the name on the headstock, and want a little more of a project, there's Precision Guitar Kits too. That's the route I'm going, it's the only way I can get the exact specs I want.

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

12. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

I think it's a great idea if you want to build a custom guitar. You can buy a stripped Traditional with the color you want and put the Standard electronics in it with push / pull, CTS POTS, upgraded wiring, etc. So now you have the best of both guitars.

Seriously considering buying an artic white USA Telecaster body with nothing on it and putting Suhr stuff in it so this guitar will match my HSS Strat with Suhr stuff in it. The body is artic white and the pickguard, Suhr pickups, knobs, tips are bright white too. Would love to do this to a Tele so it totally matches my Strat.

13. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

The Stratosphere on ebay is always obtaining new guitars and stripping them and gutting them, then selling the body & neck. That's probably your best bet. I personally disagree with that business model on ethical and economic principles but there is enough interest in it to sustain it.

14. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

I'm genuinely interested to know what you find unethical about their business model?

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

this is exactly what they do

16. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

A partial reason I won't do business with the guy. Looks like he's cleaned up his act, and he's probably THE guy. He's gone to a "Buy it now" policy, and that's better than his old way, where he'd post parts at a ridiculously low price, and they'd stay low, until a few hours before the auction ended. Then, the prices would soar. I'm not suggesting any hanky-panky--I use eSnipe, from time to time. I'm just stating what I saw.
    So no Matthew Gibney parts for me.

17. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Please explain, how is their business model unethical?
    Fender, Gibson, etc, get their money from the sale of the guitars (at which point they don't care what is done with the instruments, as long as they get their money they're happy), Stratosphere buys in bulk and gets a good price then parts them out to make their money, and the people who want parts get the brand name stuff at a reasonable price. Not to mention it is the only way to get a new Gibson body and neck for a project, Gibson doesn't sell them like that. Everybody wins.

18. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

It's not unethical to me, but with all of the QC issues that people have had with Gibson guitars assembled by the factory, having a company out there that's pulling Gibson guitars apart so that (largely) inexperienced people reassemble them (with any combination of parts) isn't a good thing. It certainly makes it more difficult when buying used to determine if you truly have a "spec" guitar vs. some sort of mashup/jacked up "FrankenPaul" and certainly gives Gibson additional reasons to deny end users after sales support.

On a different note. I bought a pickup set, PCB board, and assorted nuts and bolts hardware package from Stratosphere and they literally threw everything into a USPS bubble wrap envelope with one or two wadded up paper towels as "packing". Through some miracle none of the items were damaged (a pot on a PCB board did punch a hole through some documentation that was included, but the pot didn't bend). If you decide to buy from them, tell them upfront that they better pack your order well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  19. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Buys in bulk? I don't think so. Or to put it another way, my experience with him involved a Strat, that I sold him. He immediately tore it down. He buys guitars that are in near-mint, or mint condition--A lot, from ebay in fact.

Check his feedback. As a buyer AND as a seller.

Can we get back to business at hand, please? I'm looking for a Les Paul "project." Maybe one that somebody started to build, but got tired of it, and stopped?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016