Prometheus DLX vs Adrenalinn III

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shane77E, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Shane77E

Shane77E Member

Hi guys, I'm trying to decide between the SubDecay Prometheus DLX and the Roger Linn Adrenalinn III.

I realize the Adrenalinn III is more than just a filter sequencer, but I'm just curious if anyone has had experience with either one, or both.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Never played the Adrenalinn, but I have a Prometheus DLX since a few weeks. Here's two demos I've made:

3. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

sascha, those are great demos!!! Your playing is tasteful and well chosen to exemplify what this unit can do.

Shane77E, I've used the Adrenalinn for many years and can say that many of the sounds from sascha's demos can be achieved with the Adrenalinn. However, it is not an analog unit, and so the sound is different, it has a menu system instead of just knobs and doesn't interface with other pedals as easily.
    If digital is not a deal breaker, then you should know that the Adrenalinn menu system is very easy to negotiate, the sound is damn good and it has the added advantage of syncing any effect to your chosen tempo. The drum pattern part of the unit is simple but excellent. Programmable expression pedal control is also an option via midi pedal.

I think that you can get a decent comparison of these units sonically by doing an A/B of sascha's demos with the Roger Linn audio example page:
    http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/a3-audio-demos.html

4. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Sascha

5. ulbe

ulbe Member

Bump.

I was wondering if anybody had compared the arpeggiator functions of the Adrenalinn to the Prometheus sample and hold... Seems like they can get close. I'm specially curious about how the tap tempo features of both units could be used in a live setting.

6. blesscurse

blesscurse Member

I'm also interested in this....

7. Tweeker

The success of using tap tempo in a live setting depends on how picky you are and who's syncing to whom. If YOU are the clock, that is, if other players can play along to you then you've got a chance. But how well is everyone gonna hear an arpeggiated series of notes that usually vary in volume. It's likely that whatever you tap at the start of a song will have to be re tapped as the band loses the groove. I think delay can be more forgiving, arpeggiator stuff doesn't sound very good if you're out of sync with others.

The advantage that the Adrenalinn offers is that it syncs to it's own midi clock. You can send a click track from one output to the drummer or monitors that will keep everyone together.

8. ulbe

ulbe Member

Assuming you are unable to use a click track, does anyone know how easy it is to re-tap in the Adrenalinn or Prometheus? Is it as simple as with a delay?
    I'm not looking for something to be perfect, but at least in the ballpark of the song's tempo.

9. cheameup

cheameup Member

never used the Prometheus but my mate had an Adrenalinn . it did a bunch of cool stuff but ,theres always a but , it sounded terrible in front of his amp. thin and sterile . he tried everything and every setting but sold it after 6 months. it sounded great clean DI or for recording into a soundcard but if you want it before an amp that was my , and his, view

10. ulbe

ulbe Member

Ive heard a lot of people say that. Did he bypass all the modeling stuff and just use the effects ever? Or was the issue the same regardless? Also, there doesnt seem to be a way to bypass the unit, right?

11. cheameup

cheameup Member

yeah he tried all that . it just had this inbuilt eq in the effect you couldnt dial out that didnt suit an amp

but again it was great DI

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. Tweeker

The tap tempo on the Adrenalinn works as well as any tap I've experienced. It's a four tap system and takes the average.
    From the manual: "If you press the EFFECT foot switch 4 times in the rhythm of four ΒΌ notes, the tempo will be changed to match the average tempo of the taps."

As far as thin sounding with an amp - the Adrenalinn is not a stomp box and takes some tweaking. I use it on my pedalboard in a true bypass loop with the amp sims turned off. There is also a DIRECT/AMP setting that attenuates high-mids when in AMP mode.

13. ulbe

ulbe Member

Would you say it would work if it wasn't used in a true bypass loop, but in line with other pedals?

14. Tweeker

Sure it works. But the Adrenalinn is a digital unit, and overloading the input is not pretty. So it takes a little care when placing other pedals in front. I prefer my pedals not going through the Adrenalinn unless I engage it - that's why I put it in it's own loop. I think there is a slight flattening of the sound. But it's only slight, and depending on your ears and set up, you may not notice it.

15. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

If someone offered me either for free (and part of the deal was I couldn't resell either) I'd take the Subdecay, no question.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012