1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pronouncing Names

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by waxnsteel, Nov 30, 2005.

1. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

There are some names out there that are confusing if you don't deal with dudes who use the equipment in a live setting. Like Neumannn... Norman Harrell was the one who taught me "Noyman" crazy ain't it? My mom knew it already, too. But there are others like Skrydstrup, they say it's "Skruethestrope"

I like being able to pronounce things right, cause my last name is kind of a bitch.

How about Klon? I've never put my hands on one. How do you say that one? Is it like "Clawn" or Clone"? It probably seems obvious to those of you who have been playing with them forever.

Any others that aren't pronounced like they look like they should be, feel free to post here, and thanks.

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Well, after reading the review of the Fargen Mini Plex in the new GP, I found out that "Fargen" is not pronounced like "bargain", but like FarJen.....even though the review said the amp was a bargain. :D

Oh, for years I pronounced "flanger" like "wanger" instead of "flange-er".....just never heard anyone say it out loud ;)

BTW Klon rhymes with "Don".....

3. george4908

george4908 Member

>>for years I pronounced "flanger" like "wanger"

I'm going to start doing that!

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

I don't want to know how he pronounced "Fuchs" :D

5. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm sure I got a funny look from my local music store clerk when as a teenager I asked if they had the new Electric Mistress Wanger, er, flanger :D

6. rabbit

rabbit Member

If the name is of German origin, then "Noyman" would be right. If you want to be overly correct in this case, you would pronounce the "a" in "...mann" as the "u" in "fun" e.g.

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

How about Koch? I've heard that name pronounced like cotch, cook, and coke at different times. How do we say the amp company's name?

I think everyone's called the flannger the flang er - at least just for fun - at some point

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I know a guy named Myron Koch (who plays the Warr guitar and everyone should check out) and his name is pronounced "cook".

9. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Tycobrahe. It's pronounced TIE-co-bray

10. rabbit

rabbit Member

The same thing here, of German origin, too. "Der Koch" is the "the cook" so if you pronounce it cook it is just the translation. The problem is that the "ch" is pronounced different in German than in English and I can´t find anything in the English phonic alphabet that can be compared to the German "ch". I hope this doesn´t sound ridiculous but you can get the sound by opening your mouth, breathing out through the mouth and lifting your tongue a bit while breathin out through the mouth to get a kind of "throaty" sound. The tongue and palate make the tone, so to say, by the friction of the air at them. It should sound like the wind blowing around your house at a stormy night or so. Got it? Hard to describe...

11. rabbit

rabbit Member

That is at least as I would pronounce it. Since Koch is a Dutch brand (if think), they might pronounce it differently as every other language would do.

Might be fun to try all these strange words in your Microsoft voice output "Sam" and hear how "he" would pronounce it:)

12. rabbit

rabbit Member

Tycobrahe to me sounds and reads like a dinosaur. Does anyone know why they chose that name?

13. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

The English language has no words including sounds like the "ch" in Koch, so most of you guys will have some problems in pronouncing it the right way ;)

The "ch" in Koch is pronounced as like "Van Gogh" ...and then I'm not meaning "Fan Goooh" (what's been said very often) but "Fan Gogggggh" :p

14. rabbit

rabbit Member

El Salvador,

Yes, as I tried to point out in my second post the "ch" does not exist in English. But "Van Gogh" is a very good example!!! So hopefully everyone can pronounce "Fan Gogggggh";)

15. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

You want to know how to pronounce the "ch" in Dutch and German think Klingon.

16. monstermike

monstermike Member

From Wikipedia.

"Tycho Brahe (born Tyge Ottesen Brahe) (December 14, 1546 – October 24, 1601) was a Danish nobleman known primarily for his work as an astronomer and an astrologer (the two were highly related in his day), as well as an alchemist. He was granted an estate on the island of Hven and the funding to build the Uraniborg, an early research institute, where he built large astronomical instruments and took many careful measurements. As an astronomer, Tycho worked to combine what he saw as the geometrical benefits of the Copernican system with the philosophical benefits of the Ptolemaic system into his own model of the universe, the Tychonian system. His best known assistant was Johannes Kepler, who would later use Tycho's astronomical information to develop his own theories of astronomy."

17. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Uraniborg!!! Great name for a pedal.

18. george4908

george4908 Member

I always assumed "Klon" was pronounced like the "Tlön" in "Tlön, Uqbar and Orbis Tertius."

HTH

19. telecopter

telecopter Member

It's like I always say: " the Fargen thing is Fuched up".

20. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Klon is pronounced "Low", you see, the "K" and the "N" are silent, it's part of the Germainium dialect.