Proof that a great guitarist's tone is in his fingers, not his gear

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ugacrow, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

Scofield on a Strat, sounding immediately like Scofield on an Ibanez AS200.

2. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I think it sounds like Sco playing a strat instead of his As200...
    A bit clearer and more bite than his Ibanez.. IMO

3. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I'm by no means a great guitar player, but I sound pretty much the same on my mahogany HB Strat, my alder Strats, my Tele, my EMG equipped set neck Schecter shred guitar, or my 335 copy.

It's much more about the amp settings for me, the output level of the pickups,and the tone control. I use my different guitars mainly because they feel a little different.

JWW

4. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Ha! I could make that strat sound a hundred times worse!

5. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Exactly.

6. jbraun002

jbraun002 Member

I haven't read all the responses yet, but just to be clear...

To prove tone is not dependent on gear, you chose a clip of John Scofield playing a nice professional instrument into a professional backline?

I mean, I agree and dig what you're saying, but folks usually only trot out this mantra when they claim stuff about how their First Act guitars sound as good as Fender Custom shop instruments because, "Tone is in the fingers."

FWIW, I've heard a clip of Sco playing a tele before and it didn't sound like his AS200 tone (though it was still great and awesome).

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

:facepalm

Uhh...I'm pretty sure that if I put a Teisco guitar from Thrifty Drugs (with strings 1/2" off the fretboard) and some no name combo amp with a cheap Asian built speaker in a player's hands this statement would be disproved in short order. I found this out in the early 70's, not much has changed, except now it's some cloned Strat with a similar amp from Costco.

I predict 2.5 seconds on the short side, and 4.5 seconds on the long side, which is assuming you missed the first two seconds of playing.

But hey...YMMV, and you're entitled to your opinion.

8. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I thought the ES tone knocked Sco's tone out of the water...and I'm a Fender guy

:run&hide:

9. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I agree that it's not a million miles from the sound he's preferred in the past 10 or so years with the Ibanez. The chorus of course does something to disguise the characteristics. Another thing is that every time I've seen Sco this century, the pickup selector might as well have been glued in the bridge position and he's on the neck position there.

Overall, I dont think tone is in the fingers - it's in the mind of the player. A player like Sco that have a particular tonal ideal will gravitate towards that ideal regardless of the gear. He's going for the same ballpark no matter what the gear might be

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Clapton on Gibson vs. Craptone on Strat. Same guitarist. Two different guitars. One with heavenly tone. The other painful to listen to. I rest my case.

11. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I once lent Brian Setzer my Roland Jazz Chorus (in 1982) and he plugged in a Tele.
    It was close.

12. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

This is the answer, tone is in the mind! Give an accomplished player who likes things to sound a certain way and give him a foreign and completely different rig and a little time to mess around and they'll likely achieve a sound close to how the always sound by making adjusts to the gear at hand as well as adjustments to their technique. That said, I think tone is in the fingers specifically refers to the technical aspects of a player and how that affects the way they sound. fretboard finger pressure and placement, pick angle and attack, strength of attack, etc all have a tremendous impact on end tone and go a great way to making a player sound consistent on different rigs.

13. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

How many times has this discussion come up? The only time tone is in "the fingers" is when one player plays another player's rig, then you hear it, if any difference can be noticed, with no change to amp settings, etc.

Style, on the other hand, that is in the fingers and will be the same no matter what guitar/instrument is placed within said hands, cheap or expensive.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That sounds like a strat to me. I think as you play and use more stuff you learn to separate what the hands are doing from what the gear is doing. You can hear and disect it. As for the tone of that clip, it's pretty easy to make a strat sound like that tone. Not the notes, but the signature of the instrument is there.

If you want a good example of the opposite. Look at EVH, he still uses his same hands, but now it's buzzy high gain, chorused, compression. What happened to that awesome clean, crunchy, warm Marshall tone he used to have? Tone is in the fingers?

15. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

Tone isn't in the fingers. Otherwise Hendrix, EVH, Beck, Jimmy Page, etc etc would sound the same no matter that gear they used.

16. drod2045

drod2045 Member

My tone is so enthralled in my fingers that I don’t even need a guitar!

17. Cream

Cream Member

Not this **** again.

If you can't hear the difference between two of your guitars, you don't deserve either of them.

18. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Any decent player can dial in a tone and sound like "himself" on wildly different rigs quickly, bc the tone is in the fingers....if the they want to. Ive done this myself and have seen others do it countless times. Ive played through some retardedly cheap rigs have had gotten tone that on tape most people wouldnt be able to discern my $300 rig to my $3000 one.

HOWEVER, you can also dial the amp settings/pedals etc and change that, to some extent, ie the the current EVH tone vs the 70ss one, if the player chooses to do so.
    Notice though, that is almost still immediately recognizable as Ed, techinique notwithstanding.

19. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

There is a clip floating around youtubeland of Satriani playing on a POS beginner guitar through a POS 15 watt practice amp. How does it sound? A lot better than I could ever make it sound, but not even close to how he usually sounds. Good tone takes more than just fingers.

20. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Music (good or bad) is in the fingers. So much of tone has to do with gear, its silly to think other wise.