1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Proper bias for 7581A ???

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by NOVA70, Feb 4, 2005.

1. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

Hi,
    Any bias recommendations for bias in ma. for a pair of 7581A in a Bassman clone? Never had a pair of these, just need some input.
    Thanks,
    Pat

2. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Bias them the same as you would a 6L6GC

3. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply,
    I set them around 30ma, is that ok?
    Pat

4. philster

philster Member

I think that you have to keep a few things in mind. Setting bias is not as simple as saying that 6L6 should be 35 to 40 ma's, for example. Plate voltages vary on different amp circuits. As does the negative current draw.

Power tubes should be functioning within their range of "static watt dissipation", so it is hard to say that a 6L6 or an EL 34 should be set for a specific bias accross the board.

FWIW, I run the 7581A's in my Blockhead Splitfront at about 43ma's.

Phil

5. NOVA70

NOVA70 Supporting Member

So how does one go about setting the bias and considering all those factors. would I need special equipment? or can it be done with an digital tester?
    Thanks,
    Pat

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

Max dissipation / plate voltage * 65% to 75% (idle power) = safe BIAS range

30 / 450 *.65 = 43.3 mA
    30 / 450 *.70 = 46.6 mA
    30 / 450 *.75 = 49.9 mA

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Tubes with glowing red plates are WAY past the maximum dissipation...likely at 200% or so, so this is NOT how to bias an amp.

As Reeek stated, it's a matter of plate voltage (450 is usually safe to assume for 6L6GC type amps, you'll never be more than 10% off which is fine) and the maximum power dissipation for the particular tubes you're using. 6L6GCs and 7581As have a max power dissipation rating of 30 watts.

The easisest and safest way to bias an amp is with a "bias probe". These are available from several sources including www.webervst.com ("Bias Rite").