Proper etiquette/ethics on substitute members at gigs?

still.ill

If bassist says he can't make it a week before the first show band plays,
but you know you have a past band member you are on good terms with who is willing to step in and good enough to learn the parts with one jam before hand...

Do you go forward with the show with substitute or just play show as 2 piece, or cancel/reschedule? Bassist has said he def prefers not to be subbed in for, but its like then the only options are cancel or play as 2 piece with drummer or reschedule for a much later date.

Last edited:

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Use Sub.
Bassist understandably has his priorities.
He should understand the other members do also.

Unless it is for death, or hospitalization, there are very few events that would not have been known when making the commitment. And if it came up without notice, see comment about priorities.

uitar99

We have a couple of folks who sub for our drummer or keyboardist regularly. Our set lists are so old everyone knows them...they just show up...they play...we laugh...front of house knows no difference.

MRCHEVY

I missed 3 practices in a row once, my mother was dying of cancer. Other than than that, I never missed a practice or gig my entire life. It's a commitment. Pending an extreme situation, no excuses. Is this gig a big opportunity for the band or your little brothers birthday party. it should be a band decision whether to cancel or not. Is it a paying gig? If so, to cancel is taking money out of your pocket and a black mark on your track record as a band. As the saying goes, the show must go on. I say sub out if you can and do the gig. If it becomes a regular thing, you have an ace in the hole and move on without missing a step. Again, it depends on the reason he cant make the gig. It's all a matter of circumstances and priorities.

monty

Show must go on. Let bassist know if he cant show the other guy will, it's up to him. Showing up short a member or cancelling is a hack move and will hurt the band brand, he should know that.

bigtone23

Sub on! Having a member hold the band hostage isn't cool. Of course, there are exceptions, but if a sub can deliver, play on!

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
I think the Bassist that is not going to show up loses his voting privilege as he voted not to show up. Now it's up to the other members to vote in your best interest, whatever you determine that to be.

About a third of my work is subbing for other guys who have conflicts. Emotion shouldn't come into play - it's a business deal, and someone will get paid to cover a spot in the line-up.

Heck, when I MD for theater work, half of my effort is spent figuring out who's subbing for whom for each night of the run of the show. We almost never have a single consistent line-up for an entire run. Band gigs can be different, but even there having a sub is just another day at the office.

Trending Topics