Props for Rob D. of Fret Tech

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by CNP, Nov 20, 2005.

1. CNP

CNP Member

Just wanted to say a good word about Rob DiStefano of Fret Tech in Park Ridge, NJ-- he just did a superb refret for me that I couldn't be happier with. He's also a helluva nice guy who clearly loves what he does. Thanks Rob!!

2. Neill

Neill Member

more props for rob d. ...bought some fantastic pups from that guy. great price, great product, great customer service, quick turnover.... what else do you need? i would HIGHLY recommend him... HIGHLY (fwiw)

3. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

Rob is good people. He also makes terrific cabinets!

-TS

4. johnny q

johnny q Member

I would like to chime in here as well, I brought 2 guitars to Rob recently for the first time, and had such a pleasant experience that I will bring him ALL of my work from this point forward. Aside from having some serious tech "chops" he is a super nice guy who will work with you and not give you the "Mr Know-It all" attitude many of these tech guys tend to have - I am glad I found him.

If you are in the Northern, Nj or even Rockland County NY area, run, dont walk to his shop!!

JQ

5. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Rockland guy here. Rob is a super nice guy. As duck said, he make a nice cab. I am really happy with mine.

cmn

6. MOJO

MOJO Member

i'm thinking of having Rob put together my koa Warmoth VIP
    project.. sounds like he'd do an excellant job

7. MikeP

MikeP Member

Have not posted in awhile but when I saw Rob's name I had to chime in.
    Rob aka stratNtele is a super guy. He walked me through my first build years ago. Taught me the thin wipe on poly U method of finish.
    A year or so ago I had a bad fret. He sent me frets & tools!! To do the repair myself. Not too many folks like Rob around these days. If you ever get the chance to chat with him or have any work done you will agree! :)

8. TimL

TimL Member

I have to chime in as well.

About a year ago Rob did a simple set-up on a relatively inexpensive guitar for me, took the time to answer a million and one newbie questions and his wife even asked if I'd like something to eat while I was there. No question who will be doing any/all repairs, etc., in the future.

9. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Rob has assembled and set up 3 guitars of mine, and all of them are amazing instruments. I'd send anything to him to have work done with complete confidence.

10. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

Absolutely! I've bought many things from Rob and he's done work on some of my guitars and I've always been VERY happy. He's a great guy.

11. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Rob built me a sweet pine 2x12 cab.
    Sweet guy and a sweet wife.
    Highly recommended. :AOK

12. Chris T

Chris T Member

Bought two guitars from Rob recently. Very pleased with both. A real pleasure to deal with.

13. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

I'll chime in here as well. Had a refret done on a strat fairly recently. Good work, reasonable rates, fast turnaround, good guy.

14. kovachian

kovachian Member

So, anyone know if this guy can do stainless steel frets? Finding a luthier who's able to work with stainless is becoming quite the chore.

15. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I spoke with Rob a couple of weeks ago. He does not do Stainless. You might want to double check with him though.

16. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

I've just bought a couple of necks with bone nuts installe and filed off of him and couldn't be happier, great guy!

Scott

17. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

That topic came up when I dealt with him as well this past summer. He said he did one re-fret with SS and basically ruined his tools. Seemed pretty emphatic about not doing that again....

I think Jack Gretz at Magdon Music in PA is a good place to check out for SS refret.

18. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Rob is definitely great people. I've learned a LOT from him in our conversations, and he's extremely patient and humble when explaining stuff. He did a stellar job on a finish he did for me on a Tele build I had going a year or so ago.

19. MOJO

MOJO Member

Major Prop to Rob he just finished my Warmoth VIP.
    he really did a custom shop type job..Highly recommened!!:AOK

[​IMG]

20. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Rob has done a lot of work for me and as always a great job. I highly recommend him because of his quality work, a good guy and he is always teaching you something and willing to listen to you also.

Hip hip hooray for Rob.