Props to Andy Fuchs!

jspax7

I just got my 3 year old ODS30 back from Andy, and it's a far different amp than the one I sent in. (In a good way...)

I had a warranty issue with the heater wiring, and since I was shipping it coast to coast, I figured it would be a good opportunity to get a little "magic dust" sprinkled on it.

I had many ideas for what I wanted the amp to do, and I must say the amp has exceeded my expectations.

With triode/pentode and half power, it sounds incredible at any volume. My 4 button Artist Footswitch gives me 4 great tones on the floor, and I have 2 different frequencies for my mid boost. (Did I ask for that?... lol!) Add to this the Mid Cap pot, Sag switch, a 2 position bright switch, and the Bluesmaster mod. Several other circuit updates were done to improve the response and tone. This amp has been completely transformed.

The clean channel is chimey and sweet, the overdrive can whisper, talk or scream, and all of the footswitching features are equally useful in both the Jazz and Rock modes. It's like having 2 great amps! So much more versatile than before.

This amp has earned a permanent place in my stable. I highly recommend hand tuning and the Artist Footswitch to anyone who wants to take the ODS to an even higher level.

Thanks, Andy. I know I caught you at a very busy time. (Holidays, NAMM, the new pedal line, etc...) I greatly appreciate your willingness to take this on.

-Jim

PierreL

Silver Supporting Member
Very interesting...I'd love to try some of those mods or upgrades for my ODS 50...if I didn't have to ship it to the other side of the Atlantic...

jspax7

Very interesting...I'd love to try some of those mods or upgrades for my ODS 50...if I didn't have to ship it to the other side of the Atlantic...

I played a recent ODS50, and knew immediately that there had been some significant improvements in the ODS amps.

I can relate to the shipping cost/anxiety. I figured if I was going to send it back east, I might as well pull out all the stops, and get the best (for me) amp that Andy could build.

I asked for several things that weren't stock, although Andy may wish to respond regarding the current features of the ODS.

BTW, my new tone card says, "custom" and ODS/TDS. As I understand things, it was easier to replace the card, than it was to mod the existing one.

I already had the Artist footswitch. I just had the functions re-assigned. Certainly adds to the versatility.

Fuchsaudio

jspax7, you were fortunate enough to actually get a pre-production clean-machine tonestack card, which includes both a frequency switchable mid boost, and a mid cap switch, plus (in your case) the gain pull on the gain pot. Perhaps eventually, this board will find it's way to the ODS (tm) amps in the future :). The 10th anniversary of the ODS is 2009, so who knows...

Trust me, that amp was quite a project, but turned out great imho. Funny how I never get the time to make myself anything even close to something like this.....lol We don't do mods this extensive that often, nor cheaply, but I'm glad it's proved it's worth to you.

jspax7

jspax7, you were fortunate enough to actually get a pre-production clean-machine tonestack card, which includes both a frequency switchable mid boost, and a mid cap switch, plus (in your case) the gain pull on the gain pot. Perhaps eventually, this board will find it's way to the ODS (tm) amps in the future :). The 10th anniversary of the ODS is 2009, so who knows...

Trust me, that amp was quite a project, but turned out great imho. Funny how I never get the time to make myself anything even close to something like this.....lol We don't do mods this extensive that often, nor cheaply, but I'm glad it's proved it's worth to you.

Thanks for being so accommodating, Andy. I know it was extensive, because I spent a fair amount of time looking over the chassis before I sent it in. It was easy to see how much was changed. I knew I was asking for a lot, and I'm more than impressed that you were able to make it happen.

I let a friend play it, and he was stunned! This amp is a benchmark for versatility in an ODS.

Thanks again.

-Jim

PierreL

Silver Supporting Member
I played a recent ODS50, and knew immediately that there had been some significant improvements in the ODS amps.

I can relate to the shipping cost/anxiety. I figured if I was going to send it back east, I might as well pull out all the stops, and get the best (for me) amp that Andy could build.

I asked for several things that weren't stock, although Andy may wish to respond regarding the current features of the ODS.

BTW, my new tone card says, "custom" and ODS/TDS. As I understand things, it was easier to replace the card, than it was to mod the existing one.

I already had the Artist footswitch. I just had the functions re-assigned. Certainly adds to the versatility.

I guess the easiest way for me would be to sell my current amp and buy a newer one. Anyway, I already love the amp as it is now, so there's definitely no need to hurry up :)

rgee27

What did the upgrade cost? I have an older ODS 50 which has nice tone already. It would be nice if it were a tad more touch sensative, but really no complaints . It seems from a resale point, everyone asks if amps have the SLX mods. I've thought about selling mine and buying a newer one also. One price on Andy's page says $299 but somewher else I thought it also said $425 (?). It's a great amp nonetheless !

jspax7

What did the upgrade cost? I have an older ODS 50 which has nice tone already. It would be nice if it were a tad more touch sensative, but really no complaints . It seems from a resale point, everyone asks if amps have the SLX mods. I've thought about selling mine and buying a newer one also. One price on Andy's page says $299 but somewher else I thought it also said $425 (?). It's a great amp nonetheless !

Cost depends on what you want. Minor add-on's like SAG, and triode/pentode were reasonable, and made a big difference at lower volumes. If your amp is not SLX, (pre #300) find a new one to compare it with. That's the best way to know if you need to upgrade.

The great thing about my experience was this:

Rather than suggest what mods I should have, Andy seemed to want me to tell him what I was looking for. Then he made that happen.

The new ODS50 that I played (above #1000) was a great amp, and that was a big factor in my decision to upgrade.

For the ultimate in versatility, the Artist Footswitch is great. It really depends on what you want, and what you're willing to spend.

fullerplast

Per the price list, it looks like to get roughly to what jspax7 has would mean upgrading your ODS to SLX, adding the 4 pos footswitch, hand tuning, and adding the half power switch, and would cost you $1278 plus shipping. You'd have to ask Andy of course to confirm those prices, but that's what he has listed:

SLX Update:
Applicable to production units only (not available for mods).
$425.00 plus freight to and from our shop.

Artist Footswitch Upgrade:
4-Way Artist foot switch (factory only)
$455.00 plus freight.

6-Way Artist Plus (factory only)
$595.00 plus freight.

Hand Tuning Option: $299

Half Power Switch: $99

scottl

Sounds great!! Finally finding time to jump on here after getting back from NAMM into the crazy markets. That and fighting with Tag on his thread have been consuming.....

Sounds like Andy has been a busy bee with new stuff! Awesome.

rgee27

Hey Scott, Missed seeing you at NAMM this year...I hear you have done your mods for other gearpagers...Do you ever take on such work? Just curious ....pm me if you do ...thanks!

scottl

Nah... I am out of that stuff.

Hey Scott, Missed seeing you at NAMM this year...I hear you have done your mods for other gearpagers...Do you ever take on such work? Just curious ....pm me if you do ...thanks!

jspax7

Per the price list, it looks like to get roughly to what jspax7 has would mean upgrading your ODS to SLX, adding the 4 pos footswitch, hand tuning, and adding the half power switch, and would cost you $1278 plus shipping. You'd have to ask Andy of course to confirm those prices, but that's what he has listed:

SLX Update:

$455.00 plus freight.

$595.00 plus freight.

I already had the 4 way Artist foot switch, and my amp was already SLX, just not current spec. I think the price I paid was reasonable, but was nowhere near that figure.

I don't think it's appropriate for me to quote prices on Andy's work, but I will say (imo) he did a lot for what he charged me. I'm sure he would be happy to discuss updates with anyone. No reason I can think of for him to treat me differently than any other customer.

fullerplast

I already had the 4 way Artist foot switch, and my amp was already SLX, just not current spec. I think the price I paid was reasonable, but was nowhere near that figure.

That's fine, except that the amp that belongs to the guy that asked the question does not have either SLX or the 4 way Artist switch.....so to get his amp to the level of yours, he would require that work to be done to simply be at the point you were at when you sent the amp in.

Fuchsaudio

Boys, boys, lets not fight about it...lol.

The prices on the website are for individual modifications. They factor in a bench charge to unpack, dismantle and perform a given amount of work, repack etc. If we are doing a bunch of things to an amp at the same time we can certainly "temper" the pricing somewhat.

I suggest those wanting a specific things (or groups of things) done, contact us directly and we can review pricing. Obviously, just on shipping alone, doing a bunch of things in a single trip makes the most sense.

rgee27

SLX Update:

$455.00 plus freight.

$595.00 plus freight.

Hey Andy,

Found these prices under Service and Warranty page. You might want to update your web page so not to have conflicting upgrade prices..Just want to point it out to you. Thanks for the great amp nonetheless!

Product Upgrades:

SLX Update:
$ 299.00 plus freight to and from our shop.
Brings unit to current production specs and includes internal component upgrades as required. Areas modified: Preamp operating voltages and currents changed to current spec, brite switch corner frequency changed, tone stack operating points modified, internal cables replaced with hi-resolution audio cables, reverb circuit updated to current standard, internal grounding revised, power supply upgrades.

Unit's previous to serial number 0300 are not SLX. Sequential serial numbers started in late 2003. Units with "date" serial numbers i.e: 040603-A, would be considered pre-SLX.

4-Way Artist Footswitch (factory only)
$399.00 plus freight.
Provides remote gain, mid, overdrive and reverb on one pedal.

Fuchsaudio

Hey Andy,

Found these prices under Service and Warranty page. You might want to update your web page so not to have conflicting upgrade prices..Just want to point it out to you. Thanks for the great amp nonetheless!

Most appreciated, website upgrades in process. I'll make sure this is addressed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom