Props to Ben Fargen!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles Long, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

:jo I have a Fargen Dual Classic that I became reaquainted with recently. It's a 2-12 with 6v6's 40 watts switchable to half. First input is based on the Blackbird circuit, lead side is a tweed Deluxe. One Weber Blue Dog and a Silver Bell. The clean side is beautiful with an excellent deep smokey voice and a great low end response, much tighter than my Blackface Deluxe. None of that brightness associated with a Fender. The pushed Tweed input is ZZ top dirt, with my Maxon od and a little compression, it's sheer bliss! Unfortunately, I'm selling it due to a recent fit of GAS! Once I get my funds up again, I'll be hounding Ben for another amp. Great builder, all around nice guy! I know what to expect when I get my next one! :AOK

2. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

+ 1 Love my 30 watt Blackbird. I can't believe how good this little amps sounds. Thanks Ben!

3. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I am always up for giving kudos to Ben. My two Fargens are lifetime amps.

4. Amplite

Amplite Member

My 1x12 30 watt Fargen Epic is still my #1!
    Ben voiced it big and clean and it loves pedals. Best all around giging amp I've ever used!!
    Thanks Ben!
    Herman

5. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Next week will be an actual whole year I've had my VOS. Those who know me should be amazed. Thank you very much Ben.

6. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

Good to hear. Ben is finishing up a Dual Classic for me this week!!!

7. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Congrats — the Dual Classic is a truly superb amp. I am madly in love with mine.

8. theHoss

theHoss Member

Ben should be dialing my Fargen Black Bird 20watt head pretty soon. I really can't wait...

9. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Ben's Blackbird circuit just has that extended bass definition that my Deluxe doesn't have. With a master on the Tweed side, it gives up some awesome raunch without knocking out your fillings. Takes pedals like a champ.And I've never had any NOS glass in mine, only some mediocre EH tubes, it still is beautiful sounding..

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've yet to find an amp I like better than my Dual Classic combo
    s/n 1...and it's not from lack of trying!

Chow,
    Seegs

11. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

Wait till Ben unleashes his new combo which has the latest Blackbird circuit for the clean channel and the final version of the SCO for the lead channel. This is going to be a major piece for Ben. I believe this will be among the finest 6L6 based 2 channel amps ever built. The SCO is one of my main recording amps and covers all the ground from a pushed Super Reverb to modern high gain with the flavor of a great Blackface always in the mix and a full sound spectrum that simply sounds bigger and fuller than any 6L6 based amps that I've been able to find. The SCO was designed specifically for me by Ben with my input. I needed to fill a gap in my recording arsenal and Ben did it. SRV to Gilmour to super saturation with a low end presence that no other 6L6er has given me until now. It puts out a big beautiful sound and I no longer need to reach for the EQ to fatten it up afterwords. With the volume between 0 and 5 it has a smooth singing quality. Push the volume between 5 and 10 and the grit comes out. The master volume is functional all around the clock so it's dial in your sound, set your level and go. Now Ben has to name it and build a bunch of them. I believe that this amp will be the one that truly serves to help define Ben's Custom Shop and pushes him to the forefront. He has many wonderful designs and this one should serve as his calling card IMO.

12. bluesguitar

bluesguitar Member

I love my 20 Watt Blackbird. I have a Private Jack in mine what speakers did yours come with? Anyone have the new 30watt?

13. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Now that sounds killer! Enough gain to do 80's metal as well?

14. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

From my conversations with Ben, that sounds like the combo he's building for me at the moment. I ordered it as a Bordeaux 30, running 4x6V6, but he said two 6L6's would push it up around 40W. As I understand it, the SCO refers to the 6L6/6V6 version of the EL34 based VOS. Mine's in walnut, 1x12 with a G12H30. Slated on the calendar for 1st week October. I need either a time machine to skip forward a couple weeks, or a buzz that will knock me out for that long. The Waiting Is the Hardest Part.

15. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

Hearing all this is making me jones even more!!! You are right - waiting is hard!

16. jeak

jeak Member

My customized Soloway Classic is my only amp to speak of (besides a cheap SS practice amp). To echo Mountain Blues, it's a lifetime rig. Kudos also to Ben's brother Jeff for the J Design cabinetry.

[​IMG]

17. straticus

straticus Member

I've been touting Ben's amps for years. I've had my Bordeaux DC for at least 3 years. Other amps have come and gone but the Bordeaux is still here.

As someone else said, it's a life time amp.

18. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Wow. Thanks Cliff.

In my opinion, there is literally nothing that Ben can't do. He will simply do it with his own signature touch.

19. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

I guess this pretty much describes the amp that Ben finished for me 2 months ago. It has 6L6s, 2 separate pre-amps and reverb. I had Ben voice it for early break-up and a tone switch to morph from bassman style to higher gain on the gain channel.

I don't really have time to write too much now but here are a few of the things I've found:
    • I disliked the first 6V6 version so much that Ben completely rebuilt it for me
    • It transformed from an ugly duckling into probably the best amp that I own.
    • The cleans on Channel 1 are luscious with deep extended bass and a great 3D quality
    • The killer feature of channel 2 is the master volume - it goes to 0!
      What I mean by this is that this is now my nightime amp - as you turn down the mv all the tone is preserved all the way down until that very last fizzy splutter when it's gone for good.
    • I prefer less overdriven tones and put a 5751 into the second tube of channel 2 (I tried all the permutations from the standard 12AX7s down to 12AY7s).
    • Kudos to Cliff, he told me to go with 6L6s in the first place.
    • Ben has been outstanding to deal with throughout.
    • I had Ben build me a combo and a head chassis so that I can keep changing my mind - at the moment, the Emi Wizard sounds so good that I'm inclined to stick with the combo format.
    I believe this is the ultimate, Fender based, bedroom to large club amp.

FWIW, it's stable mates are a Supreme 16 (thanks Cliff), Bruno Tweedy Pie 18 (by way of Cliff's recommendation), blackfaced DR 70's SF and a superb 18W Marshall clone by Mallard.

20. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Also similar to mine except I had Ben do a series loop and no reverb, so I could stick in dly, rev, chr, wah, vol pedal, etc. Also, as I wanted more clean headroom, I had him put a feedback loop in it. Great, great sounding amp.

jon