Props to CV Guitars (Faber Hardware)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by g-mane, Feb 21, 2012.

1. g-mane

g-mane Member

I don't want to write something the length of "War and Peace," so I'll just cut to the chase and give a huge thumbs-up to Raul and the other good folks at CV Guitars, and to the Faber products they sell.

I started out just wanting to swap a Nashville bridge on a US Les Paul for one of the Faber abr-1 replacements. It genuinely made a difference in the sound of my instrument, not huge but noticeable and worthwhile. So, bit by bit I've replaced the other hardware, first the stopbar studs, then lightweight stopbar and finally the steel bridge studs. The tone-lock steel tailpiece studs made the most drastic difference of any of the individual parts, beefed up the mids without reducing the highs. But, every change made at least a small difference and in my case all changes were for the better. They actually encouraged changing one part at a time, so that one can really determine what the new part is doing and see if it's going to be what you're looking for. And if you decide a month later that, say, the bridge is the shiznit but you don't think the bridge studs did anything, they will accept the the return of the studs and refund your money.

As for the Faber hardware in general, it's really well-made. I'd buy more in a heartbeat, and in fact I'll probably order a stop bar and studs for a different guitar after next payday.

I'll throw in the obligatory YMMV, but I'm not sure it's necessary in this case....

http://www.cvgshop.com/Faber-Parts/c4/index.html?osCsid=7m1thojcn379h9fm4hdeibhqe3

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

aha, welcome to the club, guess we took similar paths although I thought the replacement bridge studs made the most difference on my guitar(SG.) anyway in the end I replaced the bridge,inserts, stopbar, and stopbar studs with all Faber hardware. Love the difference it made.
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=985683&highlight=faber

3. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Sweet. Just ordered two lightweight Faber tailpieces over the weekend for my SG and my AS83. Now I'm even more excited :)

4. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

hopefully you bought the studs for the tailpieces too!

5. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

6. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Shoot, didn't do that. Sounds like I need to.

7. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

yes, I did the same thing as you and initially only ordered the stopbar. The faber sits kind of loose in the gibson posts, actually the gibson fits loose in the gibson posts too....I think the key with faber is the little "locking" inserts to clamp it down for maximum coupling.

8. elcidd

elcidd Member

Somehow I missed this. Thanks for the kind words g-mane, and everyone else as well.
    Raul

9. M40A1

M40A1 Member

elcidd, what bridge and tailpiece would you recommend for a 2008 LP STD? Currently I have the OEM locking Tonepros, but I'm looking for something a little more solid. Thanks!

10. elcidd

elcidd Member

For the bridge, I would recommend our Tone-Lock ABRL model, which uses a collar to lock down on bridge posts, instead of a set screw. (Available for ABR1 posts or Nashville posts)

For tailpiece, I consider these essential for any LP style guitar.

11. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

This has been a very informative thread. But this may get VERY dangerous for me. I have 9 Gibsons (2 custom shop reissues and 7 vintage) all with ABR-1 and stop tail pieces. I fear that if I try one set of Fabers, this may get really expensive, really fast!

12. M40A1

M40A1 Member

elcidd, Thanks! I just ordered the tone-lock tailpiece kit; I'll get the bridge in another payday or two.

13. elcidd

elcidd Member

Got it, thanks. It should ship out today.

14. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i have the same amount.

now they all have faber equipment.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Any reports/feedback on the Faber lightweigh tailpiece? I've done all the Faber upgrades to my Heritage except the lw aluminum (including ABR bridge w/steel studs and Tone-Loc TP system). But currently using a stock Gotoh heavy/zinc tp.

Edit: I love the Faber BSWkit (steel post for ABR) and the Tone-Loc steel tailpiece studs. I am not a fan of the locking ABR bridge or the aluminum tailpiece. Quality just seems subpar. The bridge is nowhere close to vintage (the casting, nylon washers, "c" clips and even the saddles themselves have a steeper backslope and are smaller front to back) and looks to be made by Ping (PW?) even though it says "Faber-Germany" on the bottom also. The tailpiece looks/feels very cheap with pitting and rough edges, not a nice smooth solidly cast piece at all. I will be using a better quality, no-wire ABR (although non-locking) and a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece with the Faber bridge and tailpiece studs.

Seems like I've read about some of these issues from other folks at both the LPF and MLPF.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  16. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Wow, this is very different from most experiences/opinions I've read.

17. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. I've had nothing but great experiences with Faber products.

18. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Well, I have no reason to make this up, that was my experience. There's a few other similar posts on the LPF. Faber sent me a replacement bridge but I opted just to go with the Gotoh aluminum tailpiece. The Gotoh is a MUCH nicer made piece than the Faber tailpiece was.

19. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you're making it up. It's just a remarkable contrast to the many positive remarks I've read. I'm actually glad to read your experience, provides a useful counterpoint.