Props to Joe Driskill and Jason Lollar

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Leonc, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've been playing my Driskill Diablo LC a lot lately and I must say...this guitar absolutely kills. There isn't a single thing about it that doesn't knock me off my chair.

The neck has such an wonderfully substanatial, solid/stable feel to it and it plays like buttah. The heel and lower bout cuttaway makes upper fret access a cinch. The brass brdige enables the thing to sustain forever and the Lollar replacement pickups that I put in it are just exceptional. I was just a/b-ing the guitar with a killer late 50s LP Special (with some really wonderful P90s) and the Driskill with the Lollars is right there. Very, very similar tones and personality. Very very slightly clearer sounding and that's about it. Tremendous pickups!

Anyway, Thanks again guys for building one amazing mofo of a guitar.

[​IMG]

2. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I should look into the Lollars or something of that ilk. I'm not really digging the Rio's in my Driskill. Not a lot of definition or clarity out of them for my tastes. Somethings about them I like (low end is fat) but the problem I'm running into with them is they howl uncontrolably with any kind of gain/volume. I expected the noise but wasn't expecting the nasty, shrill, rip your head off kind of feedback I'm experiencing.

Do you play mainly blues/clean/classic rock types of music with this guitar Leon? Or do you ever venture into any higher gain when taking leads, etc? I'm more of a high gain guy by nature and may just have to reserve myself to the fact that I'll have to install new pickups (I've already ordered three Bill Lawrence L-560's for it).

3. Leonc

I've played this guitar through my former Two-Rock Ruby (and more recently my Orange Rockerverb) many times and that sucker is just LOADED with gain. It's something pretty close to a Trainwreck Express. No squealing problems at all. I've covered plenty of higher gain Boston and Journey type tunes with this guitar w/o microphonic feedback problems. No, not metal, but pretty heavy rock.

I had Rios in there before the Lollars (and Duncans before them) and the Lollars are WAY better than either of them, IMHO. The Duncans were a bit harsh and the Rios were too dull for me.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I liked my Driskill a lot more after replacing the Rio humbuckers with Duncan Custom Shop EVHs.

5. Mike Dresch

Dull is great description of what I'm hearing as well (or in this case, not hearing). Cool. Glad it's not just me that heard that in the Rios. I was starting to get pretty bummed out plugging into my rig and not getting the tones I had envisioned when I ordered this guitar close to two and a half years ago.

6. Testudo

Testudo Member

Mike, what Rios are in your Driskill? I'm really happy with mine - 2 Halfbreeds and a Muy Grande. There's always been plenty of clarity and no shrill feedback, ever. I know YMMV and all, just surprised to hear that much of a different report.
    Leon, that's a gorgeous guitar. What's the knob by the blade switch, btw?

7. Leonc

I've got LR Baggs piezos and Ctrl-X system in there. So there's an add'l 3-way (piezos/both/electro-mags), a vol-blend knob for the piezos and teeny little push-push (stereo/mono) switch. Super versatile axe.

Man, I love yours as well, I bet they're just a blast play.

8. WayneM

WayneM Member

I really like my Lollar replacement P90's in this guitar too!
    [​IMG]

9. Mike Dresch

I have a Bluesbar in the bridge and Jazzbars in the neck and middle. I just have not been able to get that P-90 bite out of mine that I remember from so many other great P-90 guitars I've played in the past, which is really surprising since my Driskill, is acoustically, a pretty bright guitar. You'd think it would translate through the pickups somewhat (though in someways, I'm glad it doesn't entirely, but that's a whole different discussion). I think I'll just drop the L-560's in and see how those do, as I absolutely love those pickups. If those don't sound good then nothing will.

10. twitch

twitch Member

Interesting. I have the same pickups as Mike, but have the same postive experiences that Peter has had. I love the Rio's.

11. Testudo

Testudo Member

I have the same setup in Driskill #61 and, if anything, they are too bright in that guitar.
    I think P-90s are the most personal pickups there are. The same pickup can behave differently in another guitar, and everyone hears them very differently, it seems. I wish I knew why! I bet the L-560s will do the job for you, though. If you make the switch be sure to post a tone report and comparison.

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Yep, it's a great ax (pre Lollars) :)

and in Leon's livingroom, pre roof removal....... :D

[​IMG]

jon