1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Props to John Suhr! Amps... and guitars!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, Oct 7, 2006.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I took my Suhr strat down to Lake Elsinore today and had them do the once over on it. I had a great time- John showed me all around the shop while my guitar was being worked on. What an operation! I saw a beautiful Tele that was being put together for Lyle Workman (lucky bastid, it is going to be NICE), and saw the CNC machines in action cutting bodies, necks, etc. with amazing precision. John explained that everything sits for a month after being rough cut on the CNC machines so it can settle and whatnot before being sanded and finished by hand. The guitars they make there are as close to flawless as I've ever seen come out of anywhere... and I gotta say I haven't touched my CS strat since I got my Suhr, the V60LP pickups are the best strat pickups I've ever used.

Now, the amps! I took my Concorde down so John could have a listen, and he had me plug into an OD-100 and his new Badger 18 watt amp...

I'd never played an OD-100, but I was very impressed- GREAT sparkling cleans and the overdrive channel was really awesome, fat, articulate, and extremely balanced. A great channel switcher that i'd be totally comfortable gigging with, I'm sure...

The Badger- 18 watts, tube rectifier, an effects loop (never seen that on an 18 watt)... and power scaling, that works extremely well. For you guys that want a marshall- flavored amp that you could do small gigs with AND get a great bedroom level tone out of- this thing is it. It had a wonderful warm gainy Marshall thing going on, and- for real- using the power scaling-you could take it down to bedroom levels and retain that fat driven power tubes feeling! He said it took him awhile to figure out how to implement the power scaling thing, and he almost gave up on it, but tried one last configuration that happened to work really well, and he seems very jazzed about it, and I can see why! I don't have anything like this amp, and I'll be picking one up at some point soon I think, it's just a really cool sounding head that'll come in very useful in the studio, at home and at smaller gigs!

I came away (and I told John this) thinking that he "hears" things the way I do- like what makes sense to his ears makes perfect sense to mine, if that makes sense. Whereas some designers and builders might have a totally different idea of what a great sounding amp is than I do... no right or wrongs, just different strokes for different folks. Anyways, it just seems like the way he voices things is just right to me.

My guitar now plays like a million dollars.

He was a total class act, fixed up my Classic strat beautifully and it was a real pleasure hanging with him!

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Very cool. I've been looking forward to reviews of the Badger. Being from Wisconsin, I do think it is an exceptionally well-named amp...

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Ha.. yes, it sounds exceptional, as well. i've wanted a 2061x for awhile, purely because they are so small and sound really cool, but this Badger amp would be about the same $$ and it does so much more, with the scaling and whatnot.....

4. mlynn02

mlynn02 Supporting Member

music to my ears! i've got a classic plus incoming and this is exactly what i wanted to hear.

+1 about suhr and co in general, great products. can't wait to play my suhr classic through my suhr classic plus (ha!). :dude

5. matte

matte Senior Member

1st dibbs on your concorde.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've been playing Suhr s/s/h Strat types for a couple of years now. Love 'em!

But one of them (my main axe) is now breaking high E strings with alarming frequency......grrrr.......I will have to take it in to the repair shop for a smooth up.

7. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I'd heard of John's guitars but never tried one until last February. I was looking for a good Tele-type guitar and I was trying everything around town. When the time came to make a decision one of my favorite local shops received a new Suhr Classtic T. I realized the moment I picked it up just how superior in touch and tone it was to everything else I'd spent the past month trying out. I plugged it into a Carr Rambler at the shop and fell in love with the neck pickup. I could just live there forever. I didn't buy it immediately (it's against my nature to make impulsive moves). I spent the next few days haunted by the memory of the feel and sound of that Classic T. About a week later I went back and played the guitar again to confirm my memory hadn't grown larger than reality. I bought that Classic T and I'll certainly keep it for life. I couldn't be happier.

About a month later, impressed as I was with the T, I placed an order for a custom Classic. I'd never bought a guitar I didn't play first. The idea was ridiculous to me. But after reading so many favorable reviews of John's guitars that emphasized the amazing consistency in quality, after playing a few around town, and after a month-long honeymoon with the T (a honeymoon that just keeps going), I decided to take the chance. I received the Classic about a month ago and it is just as amazing as the T.

These two guitars are hands down the finest I have ever owned or played.

I've heard the OD100 Classic in action. It will probably be my next amp.

John Suhr is an alchemist of tone. A big THANK YOU to John and all of his team for creating so many wonderful instruments.

8. m3g

m3g Member

Is there any further info on the Badger, like when they will be available? and price point?

9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I think, and I'm not speaking for John here, but i'm pretty sure he's just finalizing a couple component values on the Badger and firming up the cosmetics and then he's ready to roll them out. He told me how much $$ but I wouldn't want to assume that the number was finalized, so I'll just say it's around the price of a Marshall 2061x, in the ballpark anyway.

10. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

John really is a true Tone pioneer. BTW what did he think of your Concorde?

11. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

John is a true gentleman. Excellent products, and customer service that backs up what he builds and sells.

Although John is running a full-time business operation and dealing with some world-class players/clients on a daily basis, he had the patience of a saint when I called him with questions about the T he and his guys built for me. He never rushed me when I had questions for him, and was always helpful.

I respect John as both a businessman and craftsman.

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I own a Suhr Classic S, 'Old Yeller', that I got from our own Mude. Had it a few years now, and it is one of the finest strat axes I've owned.
    I have an incoming OD100 with the SH mod. Looking forward to that!
    I've also played a couple of John's CS Fenders from back in the day...sweet to the max! That Badger also sounds interesting...
    Kudos to the man for his vision and dedication.
    S.
    j

13. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Suhr Strat and Tele here. Haven't found any better, and I have played a few.

I might be curious to play a DeTemple or GVGC, etc, but I am hard pressed to think they would be much, if any better ... just different.

14. Srini

Srini Guest

Can you say perfect? Thats the only word I use to describe mine. And it gets more perfect every day; now thats a phenomenon!

Srini

15. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I LOVE the Suhr guitars. I have owned a couple standards and still own a flame top stardard with SSH pickup config and original floyd. What a sweet and versatile guitar!! Sounds and feels vintage and but will shred and dive bomb with the wickedest of axes.

I had an OD100SH that was really cool. I loved the clean channel. When I got my Makoplex it sent the OD100SH packing. I think mostly due to the fact that my ear likes EL34 overdrive tones far more than 6L6 overdrive tones. In light of that fact I would really love to play that OD100 Classic Plus!! I'm "Suhr" she a smokin machine!! :D :dude

Oh yeah, everytime I've called Suhr for a question or an order they have all been extremely friendly and great to deal with. I met Ed Yoon when he owned Tone Merchant's and he was a super guy and VERY knowledgable. He stayed late one evening at the store and let me try several amps and guitars. Another great guy and perfect compliment to the Suhr team.

16. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

My experience mirrors this as well. The Concorde sounds really great. There is no doubt that the Classic plus can get an extremely similar tone and response/feel etc. I am real happy to have both amps. Both of them sound killer.

17. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hey dudes,

I agreee with John, both amps sounded great. Really top notch. Not exactly "the same" but really good. I could make great use out of one of those Classic Plus amps, I'm sure. I'm just having a total love affair with the Komet and I have yet to set up an a/b rig with it and my FTR37, and that just seems like it's gonna be devastating, so I've kind of got a one track mind in that department right now. But if I had the scratch, I could see being like Steve and owning both and loving both, most likely.

The Badger had me really intrigued, just because it was voiced so beautifully, and is such a cool tool, with the power scaling and whatnot. Something I will own, soon, I'm sure. It was the first time I played an amp with some sort of "attenuation" feature that sounded pretty much the same down low as cranked- it really works that well. Who couldn't use an amp like that?

18. Den

Den Member

I spent some time with John and Steve at their shop last year when I was finalizing details on my Suhr Standard. I can't say enough about them and their passion for building some of the greatest amps and guitars in the world. I'm looking forward to auditioning a Badger sometime myself.

IMHO, my Suhr is as good as it gets and John and his gang are a class act.

19. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

John, what's the difference between the Classic and the Classic Plus? Thanks.

peace
    -jeff

20. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Hey John...Perhaps I did not read correctly ("evelyn woodhead speed reading course for comprension"), or am confused by other things I've read elsewhere...

is the classic plus ch 2 unboosted the same as the classic (non plus) unboosted? Hence, is the difference between a classic and a classic plus essentially the amount of gain associated with the ch. 2 boost, or are there differences in the ch2 unboosted?

What are the implications for the ch1 boost...is it also a heavier boost or is that completely independent?

Is it possible to get the classic plus with an adjustable boost level...is that stock, mod or n/a?

I'll take eight of em....! sounds great. I went to tone merchants a few months ago hoping to try one, but they had most models except for the classic unfortunately...at the time. And I already made the trip to Lake Elsinore and bugged you guys once last year.....right as you guys were building the Reb Beach unit..got to play that one..fun. Came so close to pulling the trigger..but was waiting for something..probably the classic plus model!