Props to Weber (speakers)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Aug 23, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

As some folks know, I have not always been a big fan of weber speakers but recently, I've bought 2 cabs that have weber speakers and they are fantastic. Specifically, the 1265 and blue bell speakers. I'm still not a fan of the california series but the 1265 and blue bell are great speakers.

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Blue Dog?

I'm glad you found some that work for you. The Weber line is so deep it would take forever to try all of them. It's nice you came across a couple models that fit.

The only Weber I've had was a 12F150 I used in a DRRI. Ted was very helpful and the speaker did exactly what he said it would.

3. Peeb

Peeb Member

I bought an 8" Alnico Weber for an old Vibro Champ that instantly improved the amp 500%. A really, really fantastic speaker.

Great amp, but I loved the speaker more than the amp.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I've noticed you speak of a "Blue Bell" in several threads. Is there a new Weber or are you talking about the Blue Dog or the Silver Bell? Could be either.

I've never tried the Blue Dogs, but the Silver Bell wasn't that impressive to me. But I'm totally sold on the Scumback M75, my favorite speaker.

5. jzucker

Must be the blue dog. The speakers were already in the cab when I got it . I have not heard the scumback M75 but the weber made Reinhardt 1265 with one lead cone and one bass cone is my favorite combination currently with the blue dog and weber 1265 a close 2nd.

6. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

The weber bluedog Alnico is one of the best speakers ever, especially in the 50 watt version/I have found this out myself and heard the same conclusion from many other people/ you have to hear this in a deluxe reverb/mates almost perfectly, but it must be the 50 watt version/ Amen!!!

7. doublee

doublee Member

Any idea how it varies from Weber Classic series alnicos? I am not totally bonding with the 2 I have tried...

8. bluetweed

In Fact Webers Bluedog was suppose to be webers Celestion Blue's replacement/ It never did sound like one/ The celestion Blue is like nails on the blackboard in most amps for me/ I just did a little shootout with the 50 watt A bluedog against a 65 watt scumnico/It was no contest the Bluedog was such a more toneful speaker with more of everything including harmonics/the scumnico was doped to death/ I have never seen a speaker with so much doping in my life/ to me this means a flawed design to begin with/the Bluedog had little or no doping/ all that doping has to kill the harmonic struction of a vibrating cone
    You would not think so at first but the Bluedog 50 watter is almost a perfect blackface tone fit.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

What were the tonal differences between the Scumnico vs the Blue Dog?

10. bluetweed

The Bluedog has more bottom and more top and a real nice transition from those areas in the lower and uppermids/the top end is just real nice and harmonically rich/you could use your treble control/The scumnico sounded thinner and not as complex, but I tried it in a tweed design circuit and it sounded pretty good there in most areas.

I could see the scumnico being very good in a tweed type circuit

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  11. jzucker

I think it's really hard talking about speakers unless you are specific about what kind of tones you are after. I remember reading post after post from John Phillips about distorted tones that I flatly disagreed with. In the end, I asked him what overdrive he liked the best and he said that Neil Young's overdrive was his favorite. Once I knew that, I understood his comments and was able to put them into perspective. I was talking Robben Ford (which he dislikes).

Regarding the nails on the blackboard comment of the celestion blue, it's all perspective. I suppose if you're going for a beatles/vox sound, they would be perfect but if you're going for a Carlton sound, not so.

The thing about the Reinhardt 1265 (weber) speakers is that they bridge the gap between the smoothness (and lack of highs) of the Celestion 1265 and a more jenseny speaker. Turns out the Jensen doesn't get a smooth distortion and the Celestion 1265 is too dark for a nice SRV or Jimi transparent strat (think Lenny or Little Wing).

The Weber/Reinhardt speaker falls right in the middle. Sounds great open back or closed back. Voxy, Stratty, Marshally or Fendery.

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

"[...I could see the scumnico being very good in a tweed type circuit...]"

Yup. Sounds killer in my tweed based Louis Electric KR-10/12. Scumback Scumnico 12 and Scumback 10M...deadly combination. The new 10M is a 10" Greenback. They complement each other extremely well.

Tom

13. bluetweed

Agree/The tone I am talking about is tele thru a deluxe reverb, anything from Steve Cropper to Mike bloomfield (clean sparkle blaceface tone) thats something all the botique amp guys have seem to designed out of the amps/ they all want more midrange and less sparkle/ pretty soon all those nice things you remember about the mid 60's and up fenders are just gone

I went tru that trap for awhile and when I plugged into a perfect blackface deluxe reberb circuit I said who!, that where I want to be

My first real amp which I kept for 18 years was a 66 super reverb

14. bluetweed

you know to make it simple/a good blaceface/ a good tweed
    A Tele, Strat, Les Paul, 335, 535 or Gretch and everything else is just homogenized like 2% ice cream verses whole creme ice cream

I better get off my soap box, right?

15. jzucker

Wes was homogenized?!? I think not. ;)

16. bluetweed

did not mean that/I should have said any old Gibson original model/Wes is one of my hero's for sure.What Fender amp did he usually play thru?

17. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

I love the Weber alnico Michigan better than the Blue Dog, and the alnico Blue Dog is a very impressive speaker. But I like the tight sound of the Michigan. I've tried several, and those two are by far his best for my needs.

But the only speakers I've ever been able to get my hands on that I liked better was alnico Tone Tubbys. Cant afford the EVs and JBLs so the Tone Tubby is the top of the line for me. But Weber does things the TT's wont do, and vice versa....

18. jzucker

Used EVs go for around $100-$125...

19. johnzias

johnzias Member

I'm a JBL freak and have been disappointed in both the California's and Neo's. If I A/B
    them with the D120F's in the same cab, it's not even close.

OTOH, I have a Blue Dog and a Silver Bell (50W) in my Pro Reverb and they sound very good.

20. pdouds

pdouds Member

i had a weber michigan and just really disliked it. I sold it on ebay, and ther buyer tried to say i sent him a blown speaker till he heard his buddies, then realised that was how the speaker was supposed to sound. However, Jacks rheinhardts sound great, as did the blue dog and silver bell ceramic. I actually am hoping to find a weber combo versatile enough to play a whole bunch of styles on for my 2-12 port city cab, and just keep that cab. i got way too many cabs sitting around.