Pro's and Cons of a Tele.. And Pro's and Con's of a Les Paul

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by {Bold-as-love}, Feb 20, 2012.

1. {Bold-as-love}

{Bold-as-love} Member

I'd just like to know before I start looking... And I'm not a newbie to this type of subject.. I would just like to know.. What each is better at doing and not so good at so I can compare.

2. robbinsteele

robbinsteele Member

a tele strips you naked in front of the world-and will make you a better player..a lespaul is more forgiving-love each carefully

3. {Bold-as-love}

{Bold-as-love} Member

Can you be a little more descriptive..?

4. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Tele... Pros; light, playable, can get pretty fat and hot in the bridge and still be smooth and Strat-like in the neck, easy to mod, cheaper, stays in tune well.
    Cons; can be thinner sounding, not the hugest difference from your Strat but sti a lot different, not as comfortable as a Strat

Les Paul... Pros; THE classic rock sound, many pickup options, very fat, looks cool.
    Cons; HEAVY, probably one of the most uncomfortable guitars ever, can be really muddy, super loud and distorted compared to a Strat even with the same settings, not great at staying in tune, fragile, expensive.

Strat... Pros; everything
    Cons; may not be able to handle it's goodness.

5. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

The Pros of a Tele: Lots of choices with every item the guitar is made of, so you can customize all you want! They are available from around $100 - $100,000 to meet every budget. They can weigh as little as 6 pounds or up to 12 or more if you are into that kind of thing. Nearly indestructible as they are constructed of a cutting board and a baseball bat ;) Can be used as a weapon. (Just ask Keef) Teles are surprisingly versatile getting Les Paul tones to traditional chicken pickin' from the same guitar if you have a good stomp box. Fits any type of music except possibly surf.

The Cons of a Tele. The stock, chrome/nickel covered neck pickup is often useless without some wiring mod or replacement. Some people don't like the hard edges where their arm touches the guitar. Can be noisy and some claim they are hard to play.

Pros of a Les Paul. A lot of choices, but not as wide a range as a Tele. Some are jaw dropping pretty! They are easy to make sound huge. Usually easy to play. Jimmy Page live.

Cons of a Les Paul. Hard edge where your arm touches, can be heavy and not ergonomic sitting down. Usually expensive. Much more fragile than a Tele and is prone to headstock breaks. Typically stock Gibson or Epi LPs have poor sounding pickups. A lot of LP players sound the same. Google Jeff Beck les paul quotes (about the guitar not the Man).

6. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Look at the Fano SP6. Bolt neck flat top LP body with tele controls and bridge with a treble roll off and a P90 in the neck.

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Pros:

Les Paul

Looks and assembled like expensive artwork. The voice of rock in so many ways.

Tele

Rugged, workhorse. Beautiful single coil goodness and a multitude of tones coming from one guitar.

Cons:

Les Paul

Don't drop the thing. Some are heavy and tiring to play an entire night.
    Some models are cheesy with green inlays or other weird things going on. Crappy customer support.

Tele

Cheap looking bolt together guitar.... looks cheap and like anyone could build one. Will never play as good as a good Les Paul. Not always light weight. Crappy customer support.

8. Ben R

Ben R Member

Les Paul:

* They have humbuckers. So, they take higher gain guitar playing a little easier live (you're not constantly riding the volume knob when you stop playing (with higher gain music) like you would with single coil pickups).

* They produce that classic rock ("AC/DC" / "Guns 'N Roses") sound extremely well.

* They're more expensive and tend to break a little more easily.

* They're heavy and less comfortable to play (especially when sitting down - where they can be a total pain in the a$$ to play as a result of their shape, which is not conducive to sitting while playing with your normal approach).

Telecaster:

* The traditional variety has single coil pickups. The bridge pickup in these guitars is KILLER. It gives a really nasty, biting sound that's hard to get with other guitars. If you can ride the volume knob when you stop playing during harder sounding songs, it has a really cool sound to it - even with higher gain stuff. With clean sounds and a decent compressor & the right amp, you get that traditional country music twang going all day. The neck pickup position (if you have a good pickup) sounds almost like a strat in the neck position. When you use the middle position on the pickup selector & use both single coils, it has a unique sound that you can only get with a Telecaster. Extremely versatile and (until recently) underrated guitar.

* Many are less expensive.

* They are nice and light, usually. They're fairly comfortable to play.

Go to stores and try out as many of each as you can. Try them standing up, sitting down, cranked through a Marshall type of amp, and cleaner through a Fender amp or a Vox AC-30. Try all pickup positions.

9. lhallam

lhallam Member

Tele - very versatile - country twang, Rolling Stones/early Zepplin rock, and even jazz

LP - you can get some great sustain out of them, luv how they sound. Not known for country and surprisingly I can't think of anyone outside of Les Paul himself & conceivably early Fripp using it for jazz but I don't see why not.

10. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

I find it harder to get nuances as easily out of a LP vs say a strat or Tele.
    In the end I find LPs harder to play 'musically' not playablity wise.

11. rspencer

rspencer Member

:beer A fellow Strat fan beat me to it. :D

12. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Am I the only guy who has no problem playing an LP while sitting?

13. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

There are cons to a Tele? :huh

14. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

i have not got a clue when then say that LPs are hard to play sitting down...pure tosh

15. Ben R

Ben R Member

It depends on how you typically sit and hold a guitar (not everyone holds a guitar the same way while sitting). For some of us, it requires altering what you'd normally do while sitting.

16. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I'm 6'3" and a LP looks like a toy (heavy toy) when I play it. Sitting with one is really difficult.

17. dannopelli

dannopelli Member

Yep.

18. dannopelli

dannopelli Member

I think that is likely the best answer in this thread, but I'll try to elaborate:

As you know, Stats give you a fight, they make you work for it, but the result, IF you can do it, is tonal goodness. Tele's are even more so. They are the hot chick that rides a Harley Road King better than most of the guys. They are light and sleek and lean. They both look great when broke in, like your favorite pair of old jeans. Oh, and with either you could get into a bar fight with it, and IF anything broke it would be easy to fix.

LP's are all warm and plushy elegant and good and loving. They are pearls and evening gowns, but they have a SNARL inside that they hide under all that elegance. NOTHING SOUNDS LIKE AN LP. Period. They will always give you good tone, and never make you work for it. Their string action is soft and easy on the hands. They are quiet in the silent parts. But you pay for this: you need to be a bit gentle with them. Even though they can sound big and rough, their headstocks break off rather easily. They are pricey too. A bit harder to intonate.

You need a minimum of one of each also.

19. CharlieK

CharlieK Member

One thing that I like about the Les Paul over my Tele is you can set the pickups for completely different sounds. For example, on several songs, I'll keep the neck volume on about 2-3 which allows for a full clean tone, and the bridge at 10. I can go from a nice clean to full overdrive with the flick of the pickup selector switch rather than trying to adjust volume and tone knobs on the fly. It just works betterfor me in a live setting.

20. DavidLM

DavidLM Member

Les Paul = fattest sounding electric guitar on the planet, great harmonics, amazing sustain, pushes amp front end the hardest, slinky, easy to play with 10's, can be sloppy with the short scale

Tele = hard, direct sound with strong fundamental, spanky, can be the twangiest of all electric guitars but doesn't have to be, excellent rhythm guitar for all styles, easy to play with 9's but can fight you a little, exposes your weaknesses with a spotlight

Strat = always sounds ROUND to me, less direct, soft/round attack, the best pure clean sounds, has built in reverb, the funkiest of all electric guitars, will not rock like a Tele, certainly not like an LP, you have to put a humbucker in the bridge just to get it to compete with a Tele, has the vibrato bridge for that stuff, the least comfortable of the three to me (although most people would disagree with that), the least natural sustain of the three, can be plinky sounding especially on the stock bridge pup

Pros: Yeah they use them, all of them, amateurs use them too

Cons: I don't think they have guitars in jail.

Use the right tool for the job. Learn to love and use them all.