Pros and cons of rectified?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Boogieman, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

I am looking for an explanation of the difference in rectified vs non rectified amp design.

thanks in advance

al

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

:confused:
    All amps have rectifiers--even SS ones. Could you be a bit more specific?

3. AlNelson

AlNelson Guest

Are you looking for something like this?

The rectifier converts AC from the power transformer into the DC required by the tubes.

Tube rectifiers have more internal resistance than solid state rectifiers (diodes) and so produce lower voltages with the same input. They also can 'sag' under heavy demand since the internal resistance limits the current that can be delivered by the rectifier instantaneously.

4. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

Thank you both so far.
    Then ss rectified is via diodes in the tranny? ie, early Boogie amps vs older Fender amp with a rec tube?
    As for response would the ss rec be harder and faster?, and what about tone ?

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Solid state diodes are external to the transformer itself and are usually located on a circuit or tag board. To me, a solid state rectifier gives an amp a different "feel" that is bolder & tighter than a tube rectifier, especially with bass frequencies. I don't think there would be much change in tone per se, but because the bass would tend to sound less flabby with a solid state rectifier, the tone could be perceived as being different....but that's probably highly subjective. The filter caps that follow the rectifier would have more effect on the tone of the amp that the rectifiers themselves.