Pros and cons of selling my Lentz model T

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by skeeterbuck, Sep 28, 2005.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I have a Lentz model T. I believe that it was one of the last ones that Scott made before he stopped making this model and went on to his current line.

It is 3 color sunburst and double bound like a fender Custom tele and has a Braz rosewood fretboard.

I realize that if I were to let it go that it would next to impossible to replace it with another later down the road. I haven't been playing much lately and I could use the money for other more pending necessities. :confused:

Tell me what you folks think!

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

If it were me, I'd be tryin' like hell to hang on to it...

3. jayn

jayn Member

Personally, I wouldn't sell unless you just don't dig Teles. His necks are near perfection aside from anything else. Of course, I love Teles

But, what do I know, I'm considering selling my very early Cunetto Nocaster which aside from the neck shape is dang near as good as a Lentz. I just happen to have another Tele that's just as good. Heck, I sold a bunch of killer Strats because I grew to not like them.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

We do not truly own instruments, they live far longer lives than we do.

Whether or not your ownership is up is simple a matter of timing. If not now, it will be someday. You can't take it with you once your dead (graverobbers don't cha' know?)

5. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

That's kinda what I was thinking Scott.

I haven't been playing it much and I sure that there is someone out there that would really enjoy such a nice guitar.

Since this model isn't going to be made any more, I'm pretty sure that I could get what I have invested back.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

There's your answer...

7. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

You can say that again. I would look around very carefully and see what other old Lentzes have been going for before I sold that one. You could get a pretty penny for it.

As for the timing of when you part with it, though, I'd think long and hard about it, because it's not exactly easy or cheap getting Lentz Ts nowadays. If you're the type who regrets selling instruments (I'm not), I'd be especially careful.

8. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

It doesn't sound like you're "attached" to it, so you might not miss it at all.

For me it would always be one of those guitars that I would hear/see somebody playing a tele and think "man, that guitar sure was great."

9. Heffjbaby

Heffjbaby Supporting Member

10. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Likewise... :)

11. Scott Lentz

Scott Lentz Member

Anyone purchasing any of my guitars used, would be well served to call me. In regards to set up and pup height! 760 743 1598

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

13. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

I love looking at these Lentz beauties - Now I want to know what Mr. Lentz has to say!!!

Jon is right, the plot is thick!!

Mike

14. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I'm sure he just wants to let buyers know what his political stance was that particular year so they can make an informed decision on the quality of the guitar.....;)

15. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I'm sure Scott and Ian would remenber this guitar.

I't took almost a year from the time I placed my order before I received the guitar.

Ian posted several pics at the time it was completed on this forum. There was also another double bound model T made at the same time, but that one had a maple fretboard and a two color sunburst ash body.

Chuck:cool:

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I'd say if you aren't attached to it, sell it put the money to good use.
    Personally I love Tele's so I'd love to get a Lentz at least to try out and put it up against my Mayes, Langcaster and Vintage ones.

17. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

I've talked to Scott about this. He has strong views about where pickups should be adjusted for optimal tone. He can control pickup height when it leaves his shop, but not when people buy used. He doesn't want people forming their impressions of the guitar when they aren't adjusted to his liking.

18. Jon Silberman

LOL! :D

19. Jon Silberman

But seriously, now this is very cool of Scott, very cool indeed.

20. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

The set up and pickups are the same as I received it from Scott.

IMO there was no need to change them. Why mess with perfection. The only thing that I have done is to re-string it once or twice.

Chuck